AeroTech Challenges CTI 10-Second Assembly Claim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hint to prospective entrants: the Pro38 G185-12A only has a 12-second delay, which is already within 20% of the 10 second delay. Only seems fair that this would not have to be drilled :) The Pro29 G88-11A is even closer.

Neither CTI or AT is nowhere near unreliable enough to be called a PC. Let's face it...Since rocket science is involved neither is cool enough to be called a Mac.

lol

:roll:

-Dave

Really?

I was thinking that neither CTI nor Aerotech is overpriced enough or has enough of a cult following to be called a mac, but the large variety, compatibility, and easy user assembly makes them a perfect match for a PC...

:D

I would be a much "happier" customer if you could come up with a better, more accuarte method/system/tool to dial back your delays, other than a 3/16 drill bit with a piece of tape and "eyeballing" the delay. Not very accurate, as has been mentioned in this thread. The less chance for operator error, the better. IMHO, CTI has Aerotech beat hands down in the delay department with the CTI delay tool. Any chance of producing something like this for Aerotech Gary?

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/customersite/news_archives_05.html

Scroll down a few news articles.

Sounds like we need to publicize this a bit more...wait...I'm working on it.

I would promote the electronic forward closure more, it's the easiest was to make sure your delays are right where YOU want them.

Hint to prospective entrants: the Pro38 G185-12A only has a 12-second delay, which is already within 20% of the 10 second delay. Only seems fair that this would not have to be drilled :) The Pro29 G88-11A is even closer.

Hmmm. And why does it have to be 10 seconds anyway? Seems like a biased choice to me ;)

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/customersite/news_archives_05.html

Scroll down a few news articles.

Sounds like we need to publicize this a bit more...wait...I'm working on it.
I remember reading that news item when it was put up on the website, and I thought that it was a neat idea. Compatibility can be a really nice thing, and I already do have a Pro38 DAT. So whatever happened with the Aerotech DDA, anyway? I have never seen it listed on any dealer's website, and it isn't in the current Aerotech catalog. BTW, last fall I picked up a set of drill stops at Harbor Freight (for something like $2-$3) just so I could drill Aerotech delays per your instructions. I haven't had a need to adjust a delay yet, but when I do, I'll be ready.

One more thing: it takes me longer than 10 seconds just to set the DAT, place it on the delay unit and drill it out for the delay that I want. Yes, prepping a CTI Pro38 is simple, but accomplishing the task in 10 seconds??? Come on! More like a couple of minutes (at least), if I hustle. But seriously, I really don't care how long it takes; assembling a reloadable motor (from any manufacturer) is NOT something that I want to rush through!!!

MarkII

I would promote the electronic forward closure more, it's the easiest was to make sure your delays are right where YOU want them.

Agreed. What do you think if we offered the EFC in kit form at a lower price?

I remember reading that news item when it was put up on the website, and I thought that it was a neat idea. Compatibility can be a really nice thing, and I already do have a Pro38 DAT. So whatever happened with the Aerotech DDA, anyway? I have never seen it listed on any dealer's website, and it isn't in the current Aerotech catalog. BTW, last fall I picked up a set of drill stops at Harbor Freight (for something like $2-$3) just so I could drill Aerotech delays per your instructions. I haven't had a need to adjust a delay yet, but when I do, I'll be ready.

One more thing: it takes me longer than 10 seconds just to set the DAT, place it on the delay unit and drill it out for the delay that I want. Yes, prepping a CTI Pro38 is simple, but accomplishing the task in 10 seconds??? Come on! More like a couple of minutes (at least), if I hustle. But seriously, I really don't care how long it takes; assembling a reloadable motor (from any manufacturer) is NOT something that I want to rush through!!!

MarkII

The DDA has been available continuously since it was introduced, we just haven't promoted it. A number of our dealers stock them. Leaving it out of the catalog was an unfortunate oversight. :blush:

That would be cool, but then again I'm an electronics geek. :cool:

I imagine that some of the people who complain about having to grease a few O-rings when assembling a reload would have a coronary if they had to solder parts onto a circuit board...:)

For all who use Reload at Gary.
Try the EFC-1, i have this electronic closure and it's a jewel :)

You want 8 sec, you have 8 sec.
It is expensive to purchase but i love.

I love also CTI but EFC is a perfect precision....
Dominic

The DDA has been available continuously since it was introduced, we just haven't promoted it. A number of our dealers stock them. Leaving it out of the catalog was an unfortunate oversight. :blush:

Yes, It is quite a fine product. I got my hands on one when I was at LDRS in Canada in 2005 from Wildman before it was even announced.
Although even when I do drill the delays without the DDA I can still get the delay I'm looking for most of the time...

-Great work on some fantastic products, Gary!

That would be cool, but then again I'm an electronics geek. :cool:

I imagine that some of the people who complain about having to grease a few O-rings when assembling a reload would have a coronary if they had to solder parts onto a circuit board...:)

Fortunately the only soldering necessary in this kit would be soldering a wire to the glow plug.

I would be interested if the price is right. I've often thought that the EFC looks like a great idea, but is a bit pricey.

Does the EFC require the threaded forward closure?

If you want to be able to securely attach it to the motor. I suppose you could fasten it to a standard closure with tape. :)

I would be interested if the price is right. I've often thought that the EFC looks like a great idea, but is a bit pricey.

What do you think would be the right price?

I already own 1 but if the price is going to be even lower I'll be in for another. So how soon can I see the new 1 on valuerockets.com? ;)

Gary, I don't care how long it takes to assemble, but how about some long burning motors in the 29mm reload size? I love the 24mm F12! :D

Bring back the G33 :D

If you want to be able to securely attach it to the motor. I suppose you could fasten it to a standard closure with tape. :)

Duct tape for the win!! :)

Looking around, it looks like it has replacement forward closures for each case diameter. Or are those just the normal threaded forward closures?

Duct tape for the win!! :)

Looking around, it looks like it has replacement forward closures for each case diameter. Or are those just the normal threaded forward closures?

They're new plugged closures threaded for the EFC-1 attachment.

Gary, I don't care how long it takes to assemble, but how about some long burning motors in the 29mm reload size? I love the 24mm F12! :D

How long burning? 29mm model rocket or high power?

What do you think would be the right price?

Hmmm... not really sure. For me, it shouldn't cost too much more than a dual deploy altimeter. $100? It would be nice if it were around there with whatever I would need to connect it to at least a 29mm and 38mm case. As always, less money is better, but we do want you to make money on this stuff. I'm still surprised that those SU motors on valuerockets.com make you any money. I love those.

I'd also like to mention my desire for the G33... again. Yeah, I'm a pest of a customer. :roll:

They're new plugged closures threaded for the EFC-1 attachment.

Would be kinda cool to have it work with the standard threaded closures so I could use the same ones. No idea if that makes sense with the design of the EFC though.

How long burning? 29mm model rocket or high power?

As long as feasible, with decent thrust. And a pony. :D

Both.

I have some rockets that would just love a long burner with the 29/40-120. For the longer HP cases, something like the upcoming I59 might be a lot of fun. Maybe a G power level version? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back