Aerotech Barracuda With Estes F15 Engine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketron1948

Reaction score
Has anyone flown an Aerotech Barracuda with an Estes F15 engine? Does it provide enough power?

Rocketron

Question 1: IDK. I have a frequently flown Barracuda but I've only ever sent it up on APCP motors.
Question 2: My gut and Thrustcurve say "No".

1674915183180.png

Caveats:
I used an existing profile for the Barracuda and didn't check the numbers or modify the available launch site and condition parameters.
I think Thrustcurve is the perfect tool to answer these types of questions.
Rocksim and Openrocket are more complete simulators.
YMMV :)

You may find yourself out on the mythical dead calm day on a field where there's no possibility of damaging people or property with a cruise missile trajectory. Then you have to ask yourself: "Do I feel lucky today ? Well, do ya ?" :)

Check your weight against the table posted above. That shows 2.3:1 thrust to weight. So flight is NOT ALLOWED regardless of how lucky you feel, or calm the day is.

SAFETY CODE RECOMMENDS more than 5:1, and REQUIRES more than 3:1. (Between 3:1 and 5:1 only with RSO/LCO approval.)

I have flown at close to (just above) the 3:1 limit, it needs a LONG rail/rod and to launch from a further distance.

As a long time NAR club officer I promote and police the NAR/Tripoli/NFPA safety codes at all our club functions. And I encourage all you non-NAR, non-Tripoli, flyin’ on your own dime flyers to follow the rules as well. Otherwise you have to ask yourself … :)

Check your weight against the table posted above. That shows 2.3:1 thrust to weight.
However that's calculated (maybe based on the average thrust) the peak thrust of the F15 is over 5 pounds, though admittedly not until 0.4 seconds into the burn.

I have seen good flights of somewhat similar rockets on the F15, but the Barracuda as you show it is pretty heavy, so it is marginal at best.

I have flown an AeroTech Arreaux kit, which is shorter than the Barracuda, with an Estes F15-6 motor.
It has a mass of 14.1 oz w/o motor.

Attachments

• NSL2013-005 Arreaux liftoff!.jpg
    NSL2013-005 Arreaux liftoff!.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
  • NSL2013-006 Arreaux climbing out.jpg
    NSL2013-006 Arreaux climbing out.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
I've flown my Estes PSII Mammoth, which is a bit heavier than the spec weight at 14.2 ounces over an F15. It works ok, not as well as an adapted 24mm AT F44, but ok in calm conditions. Putting on a set of rail buttons and using the rail at our club launches makes the F15 less of a gamble.

Back