Aerotech Astrobee-D parachute packing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macky

Reaction score
I have searched this forum for information regarding the proper packing of the 2 parachutes in the Aerotech Astrobee-D and have not had much luck. Anyhow the kit instructions tell you to pack the upper half parachute in to the lower section first then pack the lower or booster section parachute on top. I'm concerned about the shock cords tangling together so my first thought is to wrap most of the shock cord for the upper section loosely around its parachute and just leaving the lower sections shock cord folded neatly next to its chute (not wrapped around).The kit is near completion and hoping to fly soon, I will post pictures. Any information would be greatly appreciated. FYI- The rocket is built stock.

Thanks and good Flying,
Mike

I have built and flown the Aerotech Astrobee-D and the Mirage models.

Yes, you DO pack the 'upper' section parachute first then the 'lower' section parachute. This is done because a baffle ejection system does not have wadding to push the parachutes out of the model. The ejection gasses push off the upper section which pulls out the parachutes. By having the upper section parachute under the lower section parachute the upper parachute pulls out the lower parachute.

Don't ask how I was 'reminded' of this method of parachute deployment. :eek: :(

I wrapped the shroud lines and shock cords around each parachute carefully and left only minimum amount of shock cord loose.

Have a good flight (And recovery!).

Thanks, I really like the look of this rocket and the build is going pretty good I hope the shock cords or chutes don't tangle. I will pay close attention to my packing method. I will be flying it as soon as the weather breaks a bit...pretty cold in these parts and I have heard that CA gets brittle in the extreme cold. Anyways I'm going to buy some reloads for my Aerotech 29/40-120 case soon. Maybe i'll post the video of the maiden flight on this forum if I can figure out how to.

Thanks again and good flying,
Mike

Another option that works is simply to tie both sections together, with a longer shock cord, and one larger chute (I use a 36"). This is Aerotech's finest kit, IMHO.

Another option that works is simply to tie both sections together, with a longer shock cord, and one larger chute (I use a 36"). This is Aerotech's finest kit, IMHO.

I'm starting the build of my THIRD Aerotech Astrobee D today. The first two were built fifteen years ago to carry my senior design project when I was in college. The first one was severely damaged on it's fourth flight during testing. I had to build the second one in a day in order to make the project deadline. It fared much better...surviving around a dozen flights. Both were lost due to deployment failures because I did not use enough care in packing the recovery devices. IIRC, it wasn't so much that the lines became entangled, as it was that the chutes didn't fully deploy. I think the design is fine. For me, it just seems that more components equal more opportunities for something to go wrong.

For this build, the rocket will still separate at the midpoint, but the sections will be tied together and recovered using a single 36" chute, just as dpower suggests. I also plan on replacing the shock cord with about 20ft of 1/4" tubular kevlar mounted to an eyebolt in the upper centering ring, and replacing the thrust ring, motor mount clip, and baffle with an Aero Pack retainer and Nomex chute protector in order to accommodate more motor variants.

Pack carefully, and you shouldn't experience any problems. I would love to see pictures of your finished rocket and first flight. I think this is one of the most elegant rocket kits out there!

Cheers,
Michael

P.S.: I almost forgot to mention that I'm replacing the stock self-adhesive decals with beautiful full-color printed vinyl from Stickershock23. It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Other than that, the kit will be built completely stock! :)

Last edited:
Subscribed as I'm building this too. I know I scratch built a 3" BT V-2 a long time ago, and by the time I had enough lead shot in the nose for CG I had to go to two separate chutes. If I didn't the NC would come back around and slam the bottom pretty hard. My friend who was an 82nd Airborne vet showed me how to pack the two chutes so that they in a sense pulled each other out. He also put talcum powder on all chutes. It made deployment go easier on everything because it really slicked the insides of the BT up, and the chutes slid out much easier.

scan0132_zps2087967d.jpg

I already have the stock shock cords attached and everything cemented in, does anyone see an issue with tying the shock cords together then just form a loop near the forward section as means to attach a single larger chute? I do like the idea of a single larger chute and this method allows me to also go back to the design intent method of two chutes down the road just simply un-tie.

Thanks,
Mike

I already have the stock shock cords attached and everything cemented in, does anyone see an issue with tying the shock cords together then just form a loop near the forward section as means to attach a single larger chute? I do like the idea of a single larger chute and this method allows me to also go back to the design intent method of two chutes down the road just simply un-tie.

Thanks,
Mike

I think the premise is sound. The combined length of the cords is only 8" (minus and length used up by the knots). I would consider the possibility of tying a good bowline at the end of each and connecting some additional length of cord between them with quick links. I'll let others with more experience weigh in as well.

You are going to love how this rocket goes off the pad with a G64-4. It has a realistic flight profile...very cool. While they list F motors on their recommended list, I found the rocket to be much more stable off of the pad using the G's. Remember...we always want pictures or it didn't happen!

Cheers,
Michael

The two parachutes work just fine for this rocket. I have over 30+ flights on mine without any major issues with the parachutes tangling. I would advise attaching the two sections together however to minimize the chasing required (on my L1 cert the 2 sections landed a 1/4 mile apart). I use a nylon cord with heavy duty fishing hookeye/swivels to joint the two together (unhook one end to untangle if needed).
The weak point of the kit is the thin fins, after 30 flights, the fins are a jigsaw puzzle at the tips where it most often lands. Replace the rods on the antennas with small springs for durability (ya gotta fly it with the antenna). I used g64-7 for most of the flights with some red lines thrown in for variety. The coast that you get on an H128 is really cool.

Interesting points on both dual and single chute recovery,thanks to all. Well its almost complete just needs attachment of the aft centering ring, decals and scale stuff; however I think I might give it a test flight before I attach the scale goodies. I just added some internal fin fillets today before I attach the aft centering ring.I was going to test flight with an F40W but after reading the post maybe I'll just go with the G64W? once I settle on my revovery method she will be flight ready! As previously mentioned its built stock other then the addition of the PML rail launch lugs.

Astrobee-D 001.jpgAstrobee-D 006.jpg

Good flying and thanks to all.
Mike

Last edited:
Wow! That looks really NICE! Awesome job on the finish!

Makes me want to get started on mine.... It will be my 3rd. I had 2 others in the 90's when I was a lot younger and less apt to follow directions. :blush: Toasted one when the reload burned through the forward closure and crashed, the other came in ballistic when the ejection charge never went off... again, probably teenage haste building the reload. Can't wait to take my time on this one. I hope it turns out as good as yours!

...Replace the rods on the antennas with small springs for durability (ya gotta fly it with the antenna)...

Terry, do you mind sharing what types of springs you use and where you got them? I'm struggling to locate 0.125" OD x 4.0" length springs, but I agree with you that flying with the antennas is preferred!

Cheers,
Michael

Interesting points on both dual and single chute recovery,thanks to all. Well its almost complete just needs attachment of the aft centering ring, decals and scale stuff; however I think I might give it a test flight before I attach the scale goodies. I just added some internal fin fillets today before I attach the aft centering ring.I was going to test flight with an F40W but after reading the post maybe I'll just go with the G64W? once I settle on my revovery method she will be flight ready! As previously mentioned its built stock other then the addition of the PML rail launch lugs.

View attachment 115415View attachment 115416

Good flying and thanks to all.
Mike

Beautiful! I only hope that mine comes out close to this level!

Cheers,
Michael

Terry, do you mind sharing what types of springs you use and where you got them? I'm struggling to locate 0.125" OD x 4.0" length springs, but I agree with you that flying with the antennas is preferred!

Cheers,
Michael

I got them at Ace Hardware. The next time I am in the storage shed I will try to get a picture for you.

The two parachutes work just fine for this rocket. I have over 30+ flights on mine without any major issues with the parachutes tangling. I would advise attaching the two sections together however to minimize the chasing required (on my L1 cert the 2 sections landed a 1/4 mile apart). I use a nylon cord with heavy duty fishing hookeye/swivels to joint the two together (unhook one end to untangle if needed).
The weak point of the kit is the thin fins, after 30 flights, the fins are a jigsaw puzzle at the tips where it most often lands. Replace the rods on the antennas with small springs for durability (ya gotta fly it with the antenna). I used g64-7 for most of the flights with some red lines thrown in for variety. The coast that you get on an H128 is really cool.

Good idea with the springs! I just might have to get some. After reading your post I decided to do some looking and found that I can get some cut to length 1/8" diameter (OD) extension springs from McMaster-Carr; I just need to measure the post to see what ID I need, McMaster has 1/8" OD with several different spring wire diameters. I may go with the stainless steel variety sold in 20" lengths for about $6.50. Thanks for the tip! Also I have been thinking and I think I’m going to fly stock for now with the dual chutes I’m just going to add some swivels.

This forum has been a wealth of information for me I am very glad I joined…Thanks to all!

Mike

Last edited:
Good idea with the springs!
I found springs at the local ACE hardware also. Get yourself a couple extras - One flight my shock cord hooked on the plastic and snapped off the whole thing. A little plastruct, and she was as good as new. Flies real nice on the H128 and H165.

Just to add to the comments, my Astrobee D was built about 15 years ago. My then 14 year old son began another endeavor and I eventually faded out of the hobby. About two years ago, after he finished college and got married we started up again. Here's the interesting part...the Astrobee remained, for almost 14 years, in a Sears garden shed in central Florida surrounded by all sorts of gardening stuff and of course the huge atmospheric condition changes from hard freezes to 100+ temps and soaking humidity. About 3 months ago, I brought it out, cleaned it up, checked for symmetry and we launched it a few times on a a G64-7 and it flew perfectly...no rotation, weather cocking nothing, perfectly. A few weeks ago, I certified level 1 with it on an H128-7. It was a beautiful flight. As far as the packing of the chutes, When I first built it, I eliminated the baffling stuff. I use a 24" chute for the top portion and a 24" for the bottom. I also use a ejection blanket. I load it in first, Roll the chute carefully, and do the same for the top. I insert the blanket, the lower chute, the upper chute and roll the shock cord neatly last. We do have the two have tied to halves together with about a 6' shock cord. From 14 years ago and now we have at least 25 flights and have never had a single malfunction. It is one amazing rocket! You will certainly enjoy it. I'm just about finished with my L2 project, but likely will launch the Astrobee the most.

I figured I would revive this thread rather than start a new one, but anyway, I just recieved an Astrobee D for my birthday and plan to have the rocket come down as a single piece. My question is whether or not I can use the two supplied parachutes with the kit without having the rocket fall in two separate pieces and if so how to pack them to ensure positive deployment of both.
Perhaps tie one to the upper half, pack that one first, then have the other one attached lower along the shock cord, and pack it on top?

I really don't want to have to buy a 30 some inch chute, and the 36" CATO chute I have would probably be too large.

Also, I have a 25' nylon shock cord. Would there be any issue using this in place of the supplied shock cord? I can't see why not.

Merry Christmas,
Nate

I used 21' of shock cord when I built my second Aerotech Mirage. I only used the 30" parachute that came with the kit. The rocket will recover just fine, but this assumes that you are flying from grass fields and not from dry lake beds or concrete.

I figured I would revive this thread rather than start a new one, but anyway, I just recieved an Astrobee D for my birthday and plan to have the rocket come down as a single piece. My question is whether or not I can use the two supplied parachutes with the kit without having the rocket fall in two separate pieces and if so how to pack them to ensure positive deployment of both.
Perhaps tie one to the upper half, pack that one first, then have the other one attached lower along the shock cord, and pack it on top?

I really don't want to have to buy a 30 some inch chute, and the 36" CATO chute I have would probably be too large.

Also, I have a 25' nylon shock cord. Would there be any issue using this in place of the supplied shock cord? I can't see why not.

Merry Christmas,
Nate
I use a single ~20' nylon shock cord in place of the provided cords, and a single 36" Top-Flite chute, works well. With this large bird, I'd recommend omitting the motor hook & block, to leave your options open. This is a really nice kit.

Thanks for the suggestions- It looks like I'll be using the ~ 20-25' shock cord, and, as per Mike's suggestion, use probably just the 30" chute, as we fly on a nice sod farm.

Thanks!

PS- I do plan to omit the motor hook and motor block- H128 here I come!

Nate

Thanks for the suggestions- It looks like I'll be using the ~ 20-25' shock cord, and, as per Mike's suggestion, use probably just the 30" chute, as we fly on a nice sod farm. Thanks! PS- I do plan to omit the motor hook and motor block- H128 here I come! Nate

What are you planning for motor retention?

Btw, please do a build thread!

What are you planning for motor retention?

Btw, please do a build thread!

For motor retention I'm thinking my old standby Estes retainer. However, I'm planning to get some slim lines so I may use that.

As for a build thread: you bet!
I've got some other kits to build so I can't say for certain when this'll get started. I'm really liking all the scale detail This kit comes with- very cool!

Nate

Back