Aerotech ARCAS Modified Build...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronicabill

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself, as well as ask a question...

I have been flying model rockets since the 4th grade, so that is right at 50 years now. The vast majority of what I've built and flown has been Estes models from 1/4A up to C powered; the sole exception being an Aerotech ARCAS model around 10-12 years ago.

On my previous ARCAS, I modified it for a dual-event altimeter and dual chute deployment using black powder charges, and blocked off the ejection charge hole in my RMS40/120 motor cans (and omitted the ejection charge when reloading them of course)! The system worked very well, but I ended up selling the rocket when I was unemployed and needed cash... plus, I couldn't afford to fly the thing at the time either.

Fast-forward to 2 days ago when my new ARCAS kit arrived, along with a dual-event altimeter, extra chute, motor hardware, etc. The build is going well but I'm now at the point where I have to start making the modifications required for dual-deployment... and I cannot remember how I did it on the previous rocket!

So, if anyone has modified the Aerotech ARCAS for dual-deployment and would like to share how you did it, please jump right in! Photos are especially desired...

Thanks!!!

I have both that Aerotech kit, not DD, and a Mach 1 kit that is DD. They are the same size other than mmt. I could take pics of that one if it would help. Let me know what you'd like to see.

... On my previous ARCAS, I modified it for a dual-event altimeter and dual chute deployment using black powder charges ...

Check!
... my new ARCAS kit arrived, along with a dual-event altimeter, extra chute... The build is going well but I'm now at the point where I have to start making the modifications required for dual-deployment...

Check!
So, if anyone has modified the Aerotech ARCAS for dual-deployment and would like to share how you did it, please jump right in! Photos are especially desired...

Check! So here goes:

First, I bought the Apogee 2.64" EBay kit for Aerotech rockets:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Elect...nic-Bays/2-64in-Ebay-Kit-for-Aerotech-Rockets
and followed most of the instructions:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/downloads/PDFs/10549-2.64inch-aerotech-ebay.pdf
Except, I got some plastic pipe caps for the canisters:
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipe-Fittings-Fittings-PVC-Fittings/Cap/N-5yc1vZ1z18i3xZ1z114wr

Second, I bought one of the recommended altimeters and learned everything about it.

Third, I bought the Aerotech ARCAS and followed most of the instructions:
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/c...uctions/Kit_Instructions/hv_arcas_in_8-04.pdf
EXCEPT!!! I did NOT glue the nose cone to the payload section.
Instead, I drilled 3 holes in each so I could optionally remove or attach the nose cone with removable plastic rivets:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Misc_Hardware/Removable_Plastic_Rivets

My ARCAS can be configured for either single- or dual-deployment:
  • For single-deployment, I put the main chute in back, and attach the nose cone with removable rivets.
  • For dual-deployment, I put the drogue in back, I remove the rivets for the nose cone, and put the main chute in front.
So what I did that might not have been in the instructions was to drill a few extra holes for removable rivets at the nose cone, get chute protectors (9"), secure a 9V battery with a bolt and washer, use hard plastic canisters instead of latex finger tips and... I might have added quick links and swivels.

And it did fly great both ways!

So there you go. A single- to dual-deployment Transformer.
Sorry I don't have any useful pics.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed instructions! The only change I've made so far is to put the body tube coupler in the rear tube instead of the front, that way my ebay can slide out the back for easy access. And of course, I did not glue the nose cone in place...

The last time I built my own ebay out of 1/4" and 1/8" plywood, just like the one you use, but with a few differences of my own. My charge cups were .40S&W spent pistol brass with the primer removed and the primer hole drilled out to allow a 2-56 screw to pass through for mounting. Most likely, I will go that same route on this one as it worked out just fine! :D

Thanks again!!!

Thanks for the detailed instructions! The only change I've made so far is to put the body tube coupler in the rear tube instead of the front, that way my ebay can slide out the back for easy access. And of course, I did not glue the nose cone in place...

The last time I built my own ebay out of 1/4" and 1/8" plywood, just like the one you use, but with a few differences of my own. My charge cups were .40S&W spent pistol brass with the primer removed and the primer hole drilled out to allow a 2-56 screw to pass through for mounting. Most likely, I will go that same route on this one as it worked out just fine! :D

Thanks again!!!

Ah yes, the coupler. I have 2 couplers. One for each configuration.

My coupler for single-deployment has a wire loop attached to the inside forward (glued) bulk plate, and extends to the back edge so I can optionally attach the shock cord with a quick link.

For DD, I attach the shock cord to the EBay instead, which has its own coupler with holes, and removable bulkheads.

Back