Aerotech 54mm HDW at wildman

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendrin2020

Reaction score
The pictures on his site show a new 2 piece forward closure... Is that the same as the floating closure? Can I just buy spacers and go to town if I have that?

The 54 FCO is the floating closure. You can use 0-2 spacers with that closure. I talked with Charlie briefly about it at Airfest. They’ve been asking themselves why they still sell the old one when the floating one works without a spacer. So get some spacers.

It appears so, at least going forward. Some vendors may still have the old fixed closure. I’m with Charlie on this one. Why have two kinds of forward closure when the floating one does what the fixed one does? And more.

The last 38mm motors we received were packaged with the 2 piece closures. I don't think it' set in stone just yet, but I know AeroTech is giving strong consideration to only manufacturing the 2 piece closure in lieu of the legacy one piece closures. I think it makes sense, and just sell one off spacers as an add on, if desired.

The two piece kind of makes sense as the threaded ring could be used with other closures which might be easier to manufacture if they dont have to be threaded like maybe end burn and extended closures.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't hardware changes have to be certified by TMT or another? Has that been done?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't hardware changes have to be certified by TMT or another? Has that been done?

Not exactly. Hardware changes that are approved by the manufacturer must be reviewed, not certified. If there’s some reason to believe the change could reduce reliability, the testing organization may require more data or testing. In practice, manufacturer changes are reviewed and approved quickly.
The changes associated with the RAS were reviewed and approved several years ago I believe. That was before my time on the board, but I think I remember an announcement.

So I'm in the same boat... have the 54mm cases, but just the plugged closure, will need to get the standard forward closure, but it sounds like these new ones will work in place of that closure and with the RAS set give me the ability to turn something like my 54/1706 to a 1280 or 852... sounds like that may be a better path forward.

Answered my own question, looks like they are now offering a metal floating forward closure in extended and plugged versions, at least for 54, that's much better than the plastic floating forward closure, got bit twice by them. I don't see those listed for 38mm yet.

Last edited:
The pictures on his site show a new 2 piece forward closure... Is that the same as the floating closure? Can I just buy spacers and go to town if I have that?

Just call Tim at Wildman and ask him...
He'd give ya the answer to a question about what's pictured on his site,, no ??

Teddy

I will take this opportunity to put the word out that we are indeed moving to a 2-piece closure on 38mm, 54mm and 75mm RMS hardware. You may indeed go to town with just the purchase of the spacers at this point. We feel it is a better value to the customer if they purchase a motor with the ability to adapt into our product line at a reduced cost.

Back