• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Aerotech 29-40/120

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweger77

Reaction score
Good evening! Using rocketry as a means to teach engineering and CAD to High School Students. Looking for a versatile reloadable casing that will help bridge students to HPR. To me the Aerotech 29-40/120 seems to be the way to go. Looking to see if anyone has an Aerotech around they'd be willing to sell. Best deals I'm seeing out there are around $70 new. I'd also gladly accept any leads to good deals on new as well. Thanks in advance!

There was someone on Ebay who was selling a bunch of them for $50/ea. I bought 2. They may be all gone, but check there. They pop up quite frequently.

Hans,
Looks like they are gone. Appreciate the lead!

They sure went up in price! I bought 4 of them is 2011 for $27 each from Bellevue Hobbies. I use them in my LOC 4-29SS. Best flight was on 2 G138s and airstarted 2 G33s
Aerotech, need to bring back the one grain G33. Yes, they're Hazmat but with the removal of the 62.5g limit, they were a great motor! The Fs for this case are still hazmat.

They sure went up in price! I bought 4 of them is 2011 for $27 each from Bellevue Hobbies. I use them in my LOC 4-29SS. Best flight was on 2 G138s and airstarted 2 G33s
Aerotech, need to bring back the one grain G33. Yes, they're Hazmat but with the removal of the 62.5g limit, they were a great motor! The Fs for this case are still hazmat.
They sure did! Then again a dozen cheap eggs are around $4 now too!

Very little inflation from 2011 until 2020. My expenses (not rocketry) have gone up 40% in the last 2 years. The Social Security increase has only been 14.6% (2022 & 2023). So the government is way behind on inflation rates.

Good evening! Using rocketry as a means to teach engineering and CAD to High School Students. Looking for a versatile reloadable casing that will help bridge students to HPR. To me the Aerotech 29-40/120 seems to be the way to go. Looking to see if anyone has an Aerotech around they'd be willing to sell. Best deals I'm seeing out there are around $70 new. I'd also gladly accept any leads to good deals on new as well. Thanks in advance!

Where in Illinois are you located and what school?

What course(s) are you teaching or is this for, specifically?

Are you using this for the students to reverse engineer to teach measuring and drawing? Or are you planning on building something to then fly? Is it just a visual aide? Something else?

I would like to help. As a Sr. Design Engineer who is struggling to hire new engineers with an idea of design, drafting, drawing, etc. I see this as a way to help others that might be in my shoes when these students hit the workforce. :)

Last edited:
Where in Illinois are you located and what school?

What course(s) are you teaching or is this for, specifically?

Are you using this for the students to reverse engineer to teach measuring and drawing? Or are you planning on building something to then fly? Is it just a visual aide? Something else?

I would like to help. As a Sr. Design Engineer who is struggling to hire new engineers with an idea of design, drafting, drawing, etc. I see this as a way to help others that might be in my shoes when these students hit the workforce. :)
Good morning! I live in Crystal Lake and teach in District 300, specifically Hampshire High School. This is my first year teaching (second career at 45) and I am loving it. Our Industrial Tech program is fantastic. We have already won a State award from the Illinois Tech Educators Association as one of the best programs in Illinois, and we just found out that we are winners of a National award as well that isn't yet public.

My teaching again is in the area of CAD along with Robotics. The course in which I'm using rocketry is for my CAD III/Engineering. This class is a year long class where students are learning parametric modeling in Autodesk Inventor along with the Engineering process, careers in engineering and more. Last semester students designed their own low power rockets, produced them mostly by 3d printing and laser cutting, and then finally flew them. Next semester I plan to build upon that and have them create core complex mid power rockets as a group engineering project where we will simulate the processes of bidding, design, contracts, production and contests to win the contract.

All of my kids are looking into engineering or are in the process of apply to schools for further study. I even have one who asked me to write a letter of recommendation as he's applying to MIT! I'm setting up all of my classes to reflect the reality of being in the workforce and helping them to hopefully be successful as a member of it. They are learning by doing and putting into action concepts and theories. For the first time in a very long time I can say that I love my job. Kids are fantastic and it's been a joy watching them go through this work so far. Now we're aiming for bigger, higher and more complex. Hope that helps explain a bit better!

Good morning! I live in Crystal Lake and teach in District 300, specifically Hampshire High School. This is my first year teaching (second career at 45) and I am loving it. Our Industrial Tech program is fantastic. We have already won a State award from the Illinois Tech Educators Association as one of the best programs in Illinois, and we just found out that we are winners of a National award as well that isn't yet public.

My teaching again is in the area of CAD along with Robotics. The course in which I'm using rocketry is for my CAD III/Engineering. This class is a year long class where students are learning parametric modeling in Autodesk Inventor along with the Engineering process, careers in engineering and more. Last semester students designed their own low power rockets, produced them mostly by 3d printing and laser cutting, and then finally flew them. Next semester I plan to build upon that and have them create core complex mid power rockets as a group engineering project where we will simulate the processes of bidding, design, contracts, production and contests to win the contract.

All of my kids are looking into engineering or are in the process of apply to schools for further study. I even have one who asked me to write a letter of recommendation as he's applying to MIT! I'm setting up all of my classes to reflect the reality of being in the workforce and helping them to hopefully be successful as a member of it. They are learning by doing and putting into action concepts and theories. For the first time in a very long time I can say that I love my job. Kids are fantastic and it's been a joy watching them go through this work so far. Now we're aiming for bigger, higher and more complex. Hope that helps explain a bit better!

Hi Jon!

I live in Aurora and knew people who graduated from HHS.

What you are doing sounds amazing and its what we need in High Schools here in the US. I graduated in 1995 and in the years prior to that and the years following, there was a big push to defund Technology and Manufacturing classes and departments in the US school system. The downside now is an entire generation of adults who don't know how to do anything. I guess the plus side is there is an entire generation of YouTubers who make videos "discovering" how to do the things that our parents and their parents learned in school and/or at home.

I just ask/urge one thing. Make sure that you teach them the importance of technical drawing and understand that just making models does not cut it. Recently I made a post about this very topic and I go into a bit of detail on it. Make sure they know not only how to model things, but also how to and the importance of, proper 2D drawings. Eventually you need to make parts and the last time I checked, humans don't interact with our 3D world, in 3D. We see and interact with a 2D environment and with 2D not being taught anymore, its creating people who can essentially "build the boat in the basement" and not see any issue with it.

Ok, enough of all that. I will donate an AT 29/40-120 from Wildman's Hobbies (@WILDMANRS ) over in Van Orin, IL https://wildmanrocketry.com/

Please also select an additional $100 in product from Tim's webstore and send me a screen shot via PM of what you would like. I have a Wildman Club Member discount so you can go over $100 by 15-20%. Just find what you think would make your class even better or what you might need or want, and pick it out.

I also see the kids are on winter break according to the HHS calendar and are returning to class the week after next. Would be nice to have them return to class on Monday with a New Years gift package to open in class.

If you select any motors, and to save on shipping and HAZMAT. I will just go pick the order up and we can link up to pass it along in person. I drive over to Tim's periodically and I have an order balance that will be coming in soon as well as a lot of CF that I need to order and go get, so I will be heading down there again in the next week or so.

If there are no motors, I will likely just have Tim ship it to you, so include a mailing address.

No need for any thanks, just teach those kids well, please. We need good engineers/designers/technicians/etc. Lots of them are not learning in college, what we need them to know once they hit the workforce, and its painful training them things they should have learned long ago. I just interviewed a guy a week ago who was a CSWE and kept saying "I'm amazing at Solidworks!!" Ok, so am I. Doesn't mean you are a good or effective designer. It just means you know how to use the tool. As I always say, "You can pound nails with a brick, doesn't make it right."

Also, if its not too much trouble. Send me a screen shot/pic/whatever, of your school letterhead. Not that I don't trust but I want to make sure its all legit before I donate. I am sure you understand! :)

Hi Jon!

What you are doing sounds amazing and its what we need in High Schools here in the US. I graduated in 1995 and in the years prior to that and the years following, there was a big push to defund Technology and Manufacturing classes and departments in the US school system. The downside now is an entire generation of adults who don't know how to do anything. I guess the plus side is there is an entire generation of YouTubers who make videos "discovering" how to do the things that our parents and their parents learned in school and/or at home.

I just ask/urge one thing. Make sure that you teach them the importance of technical drawing and understand that just making models does not cut it. Recently I made a post about this very topic and I go into a bit of detail on it. Make sure they know not only how to model things, but also how to and the importance of, proper 2D drawings. Eventually you need to make parts and the last time I checked, humans don't interact with our 3D world, in 3D. We see and interact with a 2D environment and with 2D not being taught anymore, its creating people who can essentially "build the boat in the basement" and not see any issue with it.

Ok, enough of all that. I will donate an AT 29/40-120 from Wildman's Hobbies (@WILDMANRS ) over in Van Orin, IL https://wildmanrocketry.com/

Please also select an additional $100 in product from Tim's webstore and send me a screen shot via PM of what you would like. I have a Wildman Club Member discount so you can go over $100 by 15-20%. Just find what you think would make your class even better or what you might need or want, and pick it out.

I also see the kids are on winter break according to the HHS calendar and are returning to class the week after next. Would be nice to have them return to class on Monday with a New Years gift package to open in class.

If you select any motors, and to save on shipping and HAZMAT. I will just go pick the order up and we can link up to pass it along in person. I drive over to Tim's periodically and I have an order balance that will be coming in soon as well as a lot of CF that I need to order and go get, so I will be heading down there again in the next week or so.

If there are no motors, I will likely just have Tim ship it to you, so include a mailing address.

No need for any thanks, just teach those kids well, please. We need good engineers/designers/technicians/etc. Lots of them are not learning in college, what we need them to know once they hit the workforce, and its painful training them things they should have learned long ago. I just interviewed a guy a week ago who was a CSWE and kept saying "I'm amazing at Solidworks!!" Ok, so am I. Doesn't mean you are a good or effective designer. It just means you know how to use the tool. As I always say, "You can pound nails with a brick, doesn't make it right."

Also, if its not too much trouble. Send me a screen shot/pic/whatever, of your school letterhead. Not that I don't trust but I want to make sure its all legit before I donate. I am sure you understand! :)
Look at you, very kind of you sir!

Hi Jon!

That is incredibly kind of you, thank you very much. It is wonderful that we as a country finally removed our heads from the other end to see the error of cutting funding as was done. I tell my kids every day how lucky they are to have access to such incredible equipment and facilities. I graduated HS a year after you and remember our Tech Ed class, we had two tiny desktop CNC machines that we got to play with for about two hours total. I'm now teaching in a department that has a machine shop with well over a million dollars in CNC equipment and tooling where kids graduate with certificates and can go right into the work force. Starting next year we will also have dual credit courses in CAD, Advanced Manufacturing, Autos, and a few others. Kids can leave our High School with an Associate's degree and it costs them $0.

Our students spend an entire year learning how to draw and how to do so in AutoCAD. I am constantly on them to see and think about the end user of their work, the tech, machinist, etc who will be building what they design and develop. They are learning first hand how easy their designs are to understand and fabricate because they have to build everything as well.

I really wish I had gone into this a long time ago, but I think that my experience in the workforce brings something different now than I could have brought 15 or 20 years ago.
I truly do love what I'm doing.

I will do some poking around Wildman's site and pick out some building materials to complement the casing. I will reach out when that is done and submit to you documentation to your satisfaction as well via PM. Thank you again. The student's experience, learning, and fun will be better because of your generosity.

Back