Aerotech 18mm reload liner tube sticking/stuck in motor case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solid_fuel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an Aerotech 18mm motor case and some D13-4W 18mm reloads. Trying to assemble them according to the directions is impossible as the liner tube will not go into the motor case. I have tried sanding some of the outside off the liner tube and succeeded in getting the liner tube stuck in the case. getting it out should be simple enough, although getting it out and keeping it usable is probably not happening. Any advice on how to load the next one after I get it out? Is there anywhere I can get just a replacement liner tube? I tried two different liners from the same pack, both were too big to fit. I will probably try the liner from a different pack of reloads, D24-10T, and see if that has the same issue.
This was going to be my first reloadable motor. I am wondering if I should have tried a lager size out first?

For tight liners, peel a thin layer of the paper off the outside while assembling the motor. I've flown the 18mm reloads and have had to do this before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I bought an Aerotech 18mm motor case and some D13-4W 18mm reloads. Trying to assemble them according to the directions is impossible as the liner tube will not go into the motor case. I have tried sanding some of the outside off the liner tube and succeeded in getting the liner tube stuck in the case. getting it out should be simple enough, although getting it out and keeping it usable is probably not happening. Any advice on how to load the next one after I get it out? Is there anywhere I can get just a replacement liner tube? I tried two different liners from the same pack, both were too big to fit. I will probably try the liner from a different pack of reloads, D24-10T, and see if that has the same issue.
This was going to be my first reloadable motor. I am wondering if I should have tried a lager size out first?

Try heating your case before assembly . On tight cases durring cold out side temps , I have stuck the case on my dashboard with high defrost temps for a few minutes , and the liner falls right in .

Eric

Use a dowel to push out the the liner. Or once you've peeled enough from a liner so that it slips in the other end use that one to push out the stuck one. Don't be alarmed if it seems like you have to peel off several wraps of liner, it won't hurt anything as long as it still fits well. I always greased mine with brake/axel grease to help with cleanup. If the diameter of the dowel or rod you use to push out the liner is big enough, it should not damage it. You may have to re-chamfer the ends but that's it.

I used to fly a lot of the 18mm reloads. They are a pain and easy to lose since they put rockets up so much higher than their black powder counterparts. I generally used them in 24mm sized mounts with an adapter to keep altitudes more reasonable.

Good luck,

Tony

For what it’s worth my 24/40 RMS case had a burnt out liner stuck in the tube after spending two weeks in a farmer’s field. It wouldn’t budge when I tried to clean the case, so I soaked it all in hot water for an hour and I was able to lift one edge enough to push the whole thing out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just wanted to point out that you can easily lift just the glassine outer layer of the liner. I peels nicely and for over 15 years (for me) has been enough to make the liners fit nicely. You don't have to get it all off. Peel on one end and if it rips early, try the other end. Then test fit before worrying about what's left. I always lube the liner lightly with the same stuff I use for the O-rings.

Back