Aeropoxy vs 30 min BSI for cardboard

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iamtannorv

Reaction score
Kind of a glue thread so beware. Planning on building my first cardboard HPR, a 5.5in loc big nuke 3E, and I remember reading somewhere that at a certain point with cardboard rockets the epoxy you are using can be stronger than the material it is being used to bond. I normally use aeropoxy laminating epoxy with some milled fiber glass for my fiberglass birds, with 5 min BSI for tacking. Is 30 min strong enough to use on a cardboard bird to the point the cardboard would fail before the epoxy or is aeropoxy a good choice?

sure, I would feel comfortable using either one.
As cardboard has proven for decades in the rocketry world to rip apart easily. Just look at any CATO video or pics.

Either should be dandy. I feel that Aeropoxy (or other slow-cure adhesives) have more time to seep into the fibers of the substrate resulting in a "stronger" bond. Whether that stronger bond is necessary may or may not matter, but it feels more belt and suspenders. That being said a good wood glue joint is stronger than the wood itself so maybe splitting hairs regardless. 🤷‍♂️

Where I sanded off the glassine layer, my 30min epoxy really soaked in well. Not sure how deep, but it's an impressive grab. I don't think my Titebond3 wood glue does that.

Glue thread punishment:
funny-gif-rocket-launch-fail-gif.1045041

To echo the others:
  • the longer the cure time, the better it 'bites into' the parts being bonded.
  • Yellow glue is great on paper & wood (what it was designed for) Epoxy & filler for the fillets..
  • the rougher the surface, the better the bold with either (sand / peel off the smooth glassine layer - I sand where I need..)

Yes. BSI is strong enough. Either product will work just fine. I tack with gorilla wood glue and then fillet with BSI.

Draw a parallel line on the tube where you want the fin parallel to the tube. Cut your slots. These two steps can be eliminated most of the time on kits because the slots are already there. Then you only have to do the perpendicular part of the "alignment". To make sure it is perpendicular to the tube I have just “eyeballed” it alot. But there are any number of jigs you can use for both axes.

But that's a different thread.

Last edited:
Draw a parallel line on the tube where you want the fin parallel to the tube. To make sure it is perpendicular to the tube I have just “eyeballed” it alot. But there are any number of jigs you can use for both axes.

But that's a different thread.
Do two opposing fins at the same time, use a angle iron clamped across the two flats on the fins. The lines locating the fins on the motor tube sets their location, and the angle make them both in the same plane.

Last edited:
This thread would not be complete without someone (in this case, me) advising that in a paper/wood rocket, epoxy is overkill and that wood glue will create a joint every bit as good (and possibly better) than epoxy.
True for some, maybe even most. Personally, I have more confidence in the rocket—a 2.6" MPR flying on a G80—with centering rings that are epoxied to the motor tube (J-B Weld) and body tube (BSI 30-minute). Beyond that, I use epoxy on couplers because Elmer's White glue dimples the BT when it shrinks, and Elmer's Carpenter's has a nasty habit of seizing. Besides, doesn't epoxy last longer?

Where I sanded off the glassine layer, my 30min epoxy really soaked in well. Not sure how deep, but it's an impressive grab. I don't think my Titebond3 wood glue does that.

Glue thread punishment:
funny-gif-rocket-launch-fail-gif.1045041

Once again I must say this. You don't have to sand glassine. A mildly damp sponge will remove it without damaging the cardboard.

How do you make sure the fins are properly aligned when building like that without the CR slots from the loc n rings?
Insert the motor mount into the rocket then tack the fins through the slots.

None of my rings have fin notches. I attach fins to mmt /crs extend slots all the way to the rear and install as a complete unit.

Once again I must say this. You don't have to sand glassine. A mildly damp sponge will remove it without damaging the cardboard.

I agree! It took me way too long to discover this method but man, so much easier!!!!!!

What now? Like just wipe the tube a few times with a damp regular old sponge and glassine be gone?

View attachment 509031
yes and no, glassine is not plastic like a lot of people think it is, it is actually Supercalendared Paper aka Glassine, which is paper that has been run through a special rolling process (high pressure rollers) that gives it a smooth and glossy appearance. So when you dampen the surface of glassine, I use a dampened paper towel and rub it around until the tube starts to feel gritty, and it will change color slightly due to the moisture (the color change is temporary). After the tube had dried the surface will no longer be shiny instead it should be a matte/satin sheen, and no material has actually been removed from the tube (or at least very little), unlike peeling which removes an entire layer of paper.

True for some, maybe even most. Personally, I have more confidence in the rocket—a 2.6" MPR flying on a G80—with centering rings that are epoxied to the motor tube (J-B Weld) and body tube (BSI 30-minute). Beyond that, I use epoxy on couplers because Elmer's White glue dimples the BT when it shrinks, and Elmer's Carpenter's has a nasty habit of seizing. Besides, doesn't epoxy last longer?
It comes down to what makes you happy. It’s a hobby and if epoxy makes you feel good and works for you, have at it. I, for one, have never seen the appeal of JB-Weld for anything other than the retainer mount. That said, if the guy next to me wants to dip his rocket in it, that works for me.

I also find the way white and yellow glue seizes frustrating on small paper rockets.

never heard of glue "seizing" :questions:
If you take white or yellow glue and apply it to a model rocket tube coupler then slide that into the outer tube, the water in the glue can rapidly wick out of the glue as you slide the pieces together. Instant bond as the glue dries while in motion. Also happens with centering rings, engine blocks, etc.

If you take white or yellow glue and apply it to a model rocket tube coupler then slide that into the outer tube, the water in the glue can rapidly wick out of the glue as you slide the pieces together. Instant bond as the glue dries while in motion. Also happens with centering rings, engine blocks, etc.

Only had that happen to me once when using Titebond (original). You quickly learn that you don't wanna experience it again. :)

I mainly use Titebond III now which is a little more forgiving, but still best to get things in place ASAP.

Last edited:
thanks, I'll watch out for that in the future.

Exactly. I had this happen once and now use 30min epoxy on couplers.

thanks, I'll watch out for that in the future.
When installing engine blocks, centering rings, couplers you push them into place quickly with one continuous move. If you stop partway they might stay in that position forever.

Back