Aeropack Retainer Rings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Do you ever clean your engine retainers after a launch? If they motor casings need cleaned wouldn’t the retainers as well or are they made out of different material and won’t corrode?

I occasionally wipe them off with a baby wipe, but not always. And since they’re aluminum, they won’t corrode.

Haven’t ever thought to do mine before now so might have to take some gun cleaner to em to get em clean as my last launch was at LDRS

Hoppes #9 is the only thing I use to clean motor casings, retainer bodies, and retainer rings. Clean them after each launch day, and you'll appreciate how easily they work the next time you need to use them... AP is a NASTY chemical, and once it builds up and/or sets in on anodized aluminum parts, it's not easy to get off.

I occasionally wipe them off with a baby wipe, but not always. And since they’re aluminum, they won’t corrode.

This describes my actions also but the suggestion that they won’t corrode because they’re aluminum is incorrect. Aluminum is one of the more reactive metal. Salts and HCl residue remaining on aluminum components after motors burn can absolutely cause pitting.
Bare aluminum oxidizes very rapidly in ordinary air but it forms a clear layer of aluminum oxide which protects the underlying aluminum from further oxidation.

Yup, just wait 10 years and see how all the newer Ford trucks look here in the Midwest..

Grime Boss wipes, I saw them mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I wipe everything off after the flight.

Distilled White Vinegar, just put it in a spray bottler, its cheap and works better than any other cleaner I've ever used. Been using it on the same Aero Pack retainers for over 10 years and they still look like new, doesn't touch the anodizing.

This describes my actions also but the suggestion that they won’t corrode because they’re aluminum is incorrect. Aluminum is one of the more reactive metal. Salts and HCl residue remaining on aluminum components after motors burn can absolutely cause pitting.
Bare aluminum oxidizes very rapidly in ordinary air but it forms a clear layer of aluminum oxide which protects the underlying aluminum from further oxidation.

+1 on "...won't corrode because they're aluminum..." Burn a couple of motors in an anodized aluminum casing of any manufacturer and pull the burnt liners and other items out, but let the AP residue sit in the casing for a few weeks or months. Then go back and clean it; you'll probably be able to get most of the residue off, but you'll likely find deep pits in the aluminum, just like in a gun barrel, pits that you'll NEVER be able to repair...

Back