Aeropack retainer on thin walled fiberglass tubing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsume99

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting my first fiberglass build. It uses a wildman 54mm thin walled fiberglass MMT. I'm using an aeropack retainer (54P size) and the fit is a lot loser than I am accustomed to. The ID of the retainer measures 57.86mm and the tube OD measures 56.86mm. A 1mm gap is A LOT larger than what I've experienced with aeropack retainers on cardboard MMTs. I am guessing this is normal with wildman thin walled fiberglass? I just epoxy the retainer on like I normally would?

edit - I see there are -TW versions of the retainers available for 38 and 54mm MMTs. Problem is I'm using a tailcone retainer. Not sure I want to order another retainer assembly just to get the MMT side. Time to email wildman. :)

Last edited:
Where’d you buy the retainer? I know Wildman used to ship a thin aluminum ring with his retainers when he started selling thin wall glass. The aluminum ring went on MMT and then retainer went on over that to take up any looseness. Not sure if he does anymore. Maybe drop wildman a note.

Where’d you buy the retainer? I know Wildman used to ship a thin aluminum ring with his retainers when he started selling thin wall glass. The aluminum ring went on MMT and then retainer went on over that to take up any looseness. Not sure if he does anymore. Maybe drop wildman a note.
I bought the retainer from Wildman. The website does list thin walled versions of the 38 & 54 mm standard adapter assembly but not the tailcone adapter assembly or the adapter body alone. I actually have two rockets to build with 54mm TW Wildman MMTs and planned to use tailcone adapters for both. I didn't pick up on the difference when I ordered the tailcone retainers. That's my bad. I already sent them a message.

If Wildman no longer has them, send me a PM. I have a shim that came with the retainer I bought for my Punisher and I just tossed it into my tool box.

Score the outside of the MM, I use a Dremel cutting wheel and lightly go horizontally around the MM, use a generous amount of JB-Weld till it squeezes out, wipe with a rag with a bit of Acetone to clean the inside, use a motor case to center it correctly and let cure.

You'll be perfectly fine, hell it might even be stronger as the tight fitting ones use allot! less JB.

Edit I meant Motor Case!

Last edited:
I'm starting my first fiberglass build. It uses a wildman 54mm thin walled fiberglass MMT. I'm using an aeropack retainer (54P size) and the fit is a lot loser than I am accustomed to. The ID of the retainer measures 57.86mm and the tube OD measures 56.86mm. A 1mm gap is A LOT larger than what I've experienced with aeropack retainers on cardboard MMTs. I am guessing this is normal with wildman thin walled fiberglass? I just epoxy the retainer on like I normally would?

edit - I see there are -TW versions of the retainers available for 38 and 54mm MMTs. Problem is I'm using a tailcone retainer. Not sure I want to order another retainer assembly just to get the MMT side. Time to email wildman. :)

Score the outside of the MM, I use a Dremel cutting wheel and lightly go horizontally around the MM, use a generous amount of JB-Weld till it squeezes out, wipe with a rag with a bit of Acetone to clean the inside, use a motor case to center it correctly and let cure.

You'll be perfectly fine, hell it might even be stronger as the tight fitting ones use allot! less JB.

Edit I meant Motor Case!

I have done something close to what Gary said. I put maybe a 1/2" section of masking tape on each side or across from each other. I just put enough tape on each side untill retainer has a snug fit. Than put a good amount of JB around the MMT slid on retainer with turning motion. Done it a number of times and they have never come loose.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd get a piece of phenolic 54 to use as a MMT, and then use the fiberglass as a body tube for another rocket... :)

I bought the retainer from Wildman. The website does list thin walled versions of the 38 & 54 mm standard adapter assembly but not the tailcone adapter assembly or the adapter body alone. I actually have two rockets to build with 54mm TW Wildman MMTs and planned to use tailcone adapters for both. I didn't pick up on the difference when I ordered the tailcone retainers. That's my bad. I already sent them a message.
Aeropack sells the body alone without the cap. Call Tim and ask if the 54L body will fit without the spacer.
Or, build up your motor mount tube with fiberglass tape and epoxy it onto that.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I ended up buying the thin walled body from Wildman. I'm pretty confident that I could have just used the retainer I had and a little bit of extra JB weld to fill the gap but it doesn't seem like a good decision to risk hundreds of dollars of rocket + electronics to save a few bucks on a retainer. Plus this build is intended to be my L2 cert rocket so the last thing I'd want is for the rocket to be recovered with the retainer and motor casing missing.

Back