Aeropack Retainer for original Wildman 29mm Jart

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
I thought/hoped my extra Estes 29mm motor retainer would fit the 29mm motor tube of an original Wildman Jart I've started building for a small flying field.

The Estes retainer which fit perfectly on the 29mm Madcow thin-wall F/G Lil Goblin is too tight for the 29mm Jart motor tube which also appears to be thin-wall F/G (same thickness as 38mm Madcow F/G cutoff.

None of the Aeropack measurements listed seem to match my Jart motor tube exactly although the 29L3 appears close.

What to do?

I thought/hoped my extra Estes 29mm motor retainer would fit the 29mm motor tube of an original Wildman Jart I've started building for a small flying field.

The Estes retainer which fit perfectly on the 29mm Madcow thin-wall F/G Lil Goblin is too tight for the 29mm Jart motor tube which also appears to be thin-wall F/G (same thickness as 38mm Madcow F/G cutoff.

None of the Aeropack measurements listed seem to match my Jart motor tube exactly although the 29L3 appears close.

What to do?

I fit an Aeropack on my Jarts. 2", 3", and 4" LoL.
If the tube is too thick, there would be no problem in sanding it down. Use a Dremel sanding bit and grind until it fits.

If too loose, it is nothing some extra epoxy / JB can't solve. If you do this, wrap a motor case in Parchment paper to keep anything from sticking and insert it into the motor mount to keep the AP centered.

Estes too tight:
I sanded down the tube a bit in my Hurricane 38 and also sanded down inside the retainer to make it fit.

Aerooack too loose.
On my Wildman Sport I actually drilled and tapped 4 holes in the retainer body and ran in some sheer pins to get the retainer centered. Snapped off the excess outside the retainer and used JB Weld to attach it. A lot of work but isn't that a BIG part of this hobby. Instead of JB Weld, RocketPoxy or any epoxy with some sort of thickener (chopped/milled fiber) will likely work.
Apologies... I did this on my level 1 bird, Danger Close, with an Aeropack 38mm. Same principle though.

Last edited:
Did you try fit on other end of motor tube? Sometimes that will do it.

No problem sanding tube to fit, unless it's REAL obvious something is really wrong in Panama City!

I have sanded many tubes, in many sizes , to fit. Just easier than sending back.

Thanks to all who responded.

Yes, I tried both ends of the tube but no joy.

Last night I just sanded down the motor tube, the 1/2" at end, and the Estes retainer now fits fine.

Work on the Jart now continues.

Back