Aeronaut 2018

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Hi am am wanting people thoughts about Aeronaut at Black rock. People been there? What types of vendors do they have? Is the launch relaxing or stressful environment? Its looking like if I go it will be the August 3-5 2018. How does it compare to other launches that are out at Black Rock? Since I have never been there I dont know anything about it.

thanks

I went to Aeronaut 2 years ago. I wasn't able to make it last year. Bay Area Rocketry is the main vendor. Aerotech usually show up as well. Everything else is BYO.

Come prepared for anything. Generally Aeronaut is the hottest launch of the year. Most likely it will be 95-105F and very low humidity during the day. You need to drink constantly to keep hydrated. I've gone through a liter bottle per hour in the afternoon and still not needed to pee that evening (TMI?). It can still get pretty cold int he mornings. It could rain or there could be dust storms. If you drive in the wrong areas you can get stuck. I've spent an entire weekend sitting in my truck or a hotel room waiting for a dust storm to blow through. I've tried to sleep in my van while the wind was blowing 30-45mph and it was 85+ degrees and I couldn't open a window. I've also been there when it was perfectly still and deathly quiet.

Right now I'd say that there's a pretty good chance Mudrock will not happen. IMHO there's probably a 50/50 chance that Aeronaut will happen. This was just posted to AeroPAC's FB pafge today.

18238443_1510155122351231_676337691709463467_o.jpg

I went to Aeronaut 2 years ago. I wasn't able to make it last year. Bay Area Rocketry is the main vendor. Aerotech usually show up as well. Everything else is BYO.

Come prepared for anything. Generally Aeronaut is the hottest launch of the year. Most likely it will be 95-105F and very low humidity during the day. You need to drink constantly to keep hydrated. I've gone through a liter bottle per hour in the afternoon and still not needed to pee that evening (TMI?). It can still get pretty cold int he mornings. It could rain or there could be dust storms. If you drive in the wrong areas you can get stuck. I've spent an entire weekend sitting in my truck or a hotel room waiting for a dust storm to blow through. I've tried to sleep in my van while the wind was blowing 30-45mph and it was 85+ degrees and I couldn't open a window. I've also been there when it was perfectly still and deathly quiet.

Right now I'd say that there's a pretty good chance Mudrock will not happen. IMHO there's probably a 50/50 chance that Aeronaut will happen. This was just posted to AeroPAC's FB pafge today.

View attachment 319111

Thanks. I figured for 2017 it wont happen, but hoping 2018 will, that is when I will not until next year. I guess that temp is the same as Oklahoma but with low humidity i guess its a better place to be than Oklahoma during that time of year. How cold can it get? I will have an RV with fresh tank, black and grey tank. Cold enough to freeze?

Aeronaut has always been an enjoyable launch for me. It is usually also the only one I can make out there. It gets quite hot in the day, cold enough for a light jacket at night.

I don't know how it compares to Mudroc. I went to XPRS once in 2014, and it seemed like more people attended that one. It was also a little cooler.

Not Aeronaut but at Balls in September we have had snow!
And years 90+ degrees.
Like Chris said, prepare for anything.

M

Those of us that are (were?) regulars call it AeroHot for a reason. I quit going in August. Too darn hot for me.

At AeroHot, no pressure. Usually very relaxed. Unlike XPRS.

Vendors are Bay Area Rocketry and Fruity Chutes. Always a good idea to pre-order when possible.

But as you've read in the other threads... It's Black Rock. If you didn't bring it, you won't have it.

Back