Aerogloss sanding sealer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleder

Reaction score
Does anyone still use this? Or have you found better, more cost effective methods? Just curious, I have only used it on small scale stuff since it is expensive on a per oz. basis. For large scale stuff, I use wood putty thinned out and skimmed off but that is about impossible on small scale stuff. Just looking for something to smooth out fins on the small stuff without too much effort and cost. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone still use this? Or have you found better, more cost effective methods? Just curious, I have only used it on small scale stuff since it is expensive on a per oz. basis. For large scale stuff, I use wood putty thinned out and skimmed off but that is about impossible on small scale stuff. Just looking for something to smooth out fins on the small stuff without too much effort and cost. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SCIGS30 has done recent threads on a product that is an excellent replacement of the now OOP AeroGloss sealers. The new product is Brodak and its a butyrate dope type sealer.

Cool, thanks will check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I still have a couple bottles of the Aerogloss Balsa Filler, which I prefer over the Sanding Sealer, but when they've run out, I'll probably be moving to the Brodak brand also.

There is a fair amount of inventory floating around on eBay. I just purchased 4 bottles of the sanding sealer and 2 bottles of the balsa filler. Just have to shop around for decent shipping. The balsa filler had free shipping. This should hold me over while I research new techniques.

I am a long time Aerogloss sealer user since the 70s, and the formula has changed over the years. Out of all the products I have tried nothing beat Aerogloss sealer until I found Brodak balsa sealer. I was skeptical of Brodak sealer when I got my first small can last month to try, it was thin and brushed on easier than Aerogloss. I for sure thought it would not have any filler properties since it was so smooth and easy to sand. After four coats the balsa was as smooth as can be. I then painted the balsa and no grain. The secret to Brodak sealer is to brush it on pretty heavy when compared to Aerogloss. With Aerogloss if you brushed it on too thick it would be a pain to sand and take longer to dry. The sanding qualities are the best I have ever seen, even easier to sand than Aerogloss. I would never have found out about Brodak if Midwest did not stop making their sealer. So give it a try and let me know what you think. Also when you order it, let Brodak know you are using it for rocketry. I posted my last three builds using Brodak and I just ordered the 16oz can. I transfer the product into 4oz jars for easy use.

DSC_0280 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0272 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0294 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0285 (1280x851).jpg

rocket 2.jpg

DSC_0290 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0277 (1024x681).jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0284 (1280x851).jpg
    DSC_0284 (1280x851).jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 28
I am a long time Aerogloss sealer user since the 70s, and the formula has changed over the years. Out of all the products I have tried nothing beat Aerogloss sealer until I found Brodak balsa sealer. I was skeptical of Brodak sealer when I got my first small can last month to try, it was thin and brushed on easier than Aerogloss. I for sure thought it would not have any filler properties since it was so smooth and easy to sand. After four coats the balsa was as smooth as can be. I then painted the balsa and no grain. The secret to Brodak sealer is to brush it on pretty heavy when compared to Aerogloss. With Aerogloss if you brushed it on too thick it would be a pain to sand and take longer to dry. The sanding qualities are the best I have ever seen, even easier to sand than Aerogloss. I would never have found out about Brodak if Midwest did not stop making their sealer. So give it a try and let me know what you think. Also when you order it, let Brodak know you are using it for rocketry. I posted my last three builds using Brodak and I just ordered the 16oz can. I transfer the product into 4oz jars for easy use.

WOW. That looks really nice. I will definitely give it a try.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SCIGS30 - Are you doing anything special in regards to end-grain? Your fins look like plastic, they're so well filled!

Tango,
You the funny thing is I have not used any kind of filler what so ever with this Brodak sealer, it seals end grain much better than Aerogloss. With Aerogloss I would sometimes have to go over the sealed fins with spots of balsa wood filler especially on the end grain.

Back