Aeroforce G-Force 4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soo- Sorry to hear of your experiences. My Mirage flew 97 flights before I killed it with too many g's packing the wadding. Barracuda has 54 flites and just looks beat from the desert. Big "A" the same. Both still works great. Could humidity be a factor in your area?

I've haven't had any problems like this with my Barracuda, either. All I can say is make sure the fit is right at flight time, not just the night before in your basement. Humidity/heat can have a dramatic effect on the fit of couplers.

My G-Force was cursed from the get-go!!!

I bought a G-Force, and it was a lemon. The body tubes were blistered from trapped air buubles, and the nosecone was warped something aweful...and that was just opening the box. Granted, I purchased this rocket right after Aerotech demoed the rocket at NSL `99, so the first production nosecones were junky Ace cones.

Haggled with Aerotech to get replacement parts; the tubes were better, but I received another warped Ace cone...

built the rocket, and on it's maiden flight, the rocket landed in a tree. Second flight, the rocket flat spun to the ground makeing one of the fins a little shorter. 3rd flight was nice, and the parachute deployed, but the rocket landed while blowing sideways, and shortened another fin...

Funny thing is, I have video of the Aerotech demo, and it launched beautifully on a G64, and flat spun to the ground breaking a fin... I should have seen the signs, that this was not going to be a good rocket... at least for me

Soo- Sorry to hear of your experiences. My Mirage flew 97 flights before I killed it with too many g's packing the wadding. Barracuda has 54 flites and just looks beat from the desert. Big "A" the same. Both still works great. Could humidity be a factor in your area?

Could , humility be a factor ?

You should post your praying to the Rocket Gods pic with your k*ck *ss Blacked out G-Force with tailcone ! Or I can if you wish . . .

Kenny

Thanks for the kind words- I live in Tucson, AZ so I don't think humidity is a factor. My original hypothesis (still current) is that weather cocking or some other oblique force is causing flexion of the tubes, binding the coupler; it does seem that the fins on AT kits are oversized, but why wouldn't everyone be seeing that?
Unrelated, but where do you fly? We're not so far apart and I'm looking for better fields- on my drive to San Diego with the family last week I saw some promising areas between Tucson and Yuma...

Oh buddy!!! You have GOT to come out to Plaster City! Next launch in Feb-check out San Diego Tripoli for directions and schedules- Come on over and fly Fiesta Island with us! It's a challenge with the LPR limit and huge water hazzard! Look up San Diego D.A.R.T. club.

Oh buddy!!! You have GOT to come out to Plaster City! Next launch in Feb-check out San Diego Tripoli for directions and schedules- Come on over and fly Fiesta Island with us! It's a challenge with the LPR limit and huge water hazzard! Look up San Diego D.A.R.T. club.

Thanks for the invite! I'll be the guy with half a G-Force...oh wait, there's a lot of us apparently! :D

Could , humility be a factor ?

You should post your praying to the Rocket Gods pic with your k*ck *ss Blacked out G-Force with tailcone ! Or I can if you wish . . .

Kenny

Here it is ! Warned ya . . .

2011-11-06 12.54.41b.jpg

I am brand new to re-loadable motors but I have experience handling things that go, "boom." I am considering the Aerotech (or Rouse Tech) 29/40-120 hardware and an assortment of G impulse loads; G64-4, G71-4, G76-4 and I even see possibilities with a G53-5 which seems like it would give a nice slow liftoff for my viewing pleasure. I may even get a few F loads.

Of these motors you mentioned, the G64 has the most get up and go. You DO NOT want to try anything less than a G64-4 in the G-Force. And that is barely enough motor. I've had two of these rockets and both crashed due to not enough altitude from G64's. It was my own fault, wrong delays, but both crashes were on maiden flights.

You might get 700 ft out of a G64, but probably will be more like 500 or so.

Last edited:
Of these motors you mentioned, the G64 has the most get up and go. You DO NOT want to try anything less than a G64-4 in the G-Force. And that is barely enough motor. I've had two of these rockets and both crashed due to not enough altitude from G64's. It was my own fault, wrong delays, but both crashes were on maiden flights.

You might get 700 ft out of a G64, but probably will be more like 500 or so.

The G-71 and the G-76 he mentioned both have a higher initial kick off the pad then the G64 does. The G71 has slightly less total impulse (108 N-sec vs. 112 N-sec), and the G76 has slightly more total impulse (112 N-sec vs. 118 N-sec). Any one of those three motors will give a decent flight, with similar performance. I love the G71R, and the G76G loads!

I love the G64. The G71 & G76 are also great motors.

The problem any of these can have in a G-Force, IMHO is weak ejection. I've never owned a G-Force, but I've seen more of these then any other model come in ballistic or under nose pop recovery because the ejection charges on the Hobbyline motors didn't pop the nose cone, or if it did, the chute never left the BT. I would recommend a little extra BP to the ejection charge, 0.2g or 0.3g should be enough to increase the reliability of the ejection significantly.

The G-71 and the G-76 he mentioned both have a higher initial kick off the pad then the G64 does. The G71 has slightly less total impulse (108 N-sec vs. 112 N-sec), and the G76 has slightly more total impulse (112 N-sec vs. 118 N-sec). Any one of those three motors will give a decent flight, with similar performance. I love the G71R, and the G76G loads!

Why is it then that Rocksim always shows the G64 sending any given rocket to a higher altitude compared to those other two motors when used in the same rocket?

Why is it then that Rocksim always shows the G64 sending any given rocket to a higher altitude compared to those other two motors when used in the same rocket?

Probably because the G64 burns longer than the other two. It's a flatter thrust curve than the other two. The other two are harder hitting motors at ignition, so they will give more kick off the pad, but don't burn as long.

Probably because the G64 burns longer than the other two. It's a flatter thrust curve than the other two. The other two are harder hitting motors at ignition, so they will give more kick off the pad, but don't burn as long.

Ok, so we agree that of all three, the G64 goes the highest, right? What I guess I'm getting at is the Gforce starts coming back down quickly after motor burn out. 500- 700 ft doesn't leave all that much time to deploy a parachute.

Last edited:
Ok, so we agree that of all three, the G64 goes the highest, right? What I guess I'm getting at is the Gforce starts coming back down quickly after motor burn out. 500- 700 ft doesn't leave all that much time to deploy a parachute.

I honestly don't know - I don't have any sims set up, so I can't give any results. I would imagine that the flights would all be relatively close in altitude, but can't say for sure. The other thing to keep in mind when determining what to use is delay times. If one motor is going to deploy late, and one is not...well - which would you use?

I honestly don't know - I don't have any sims set up, so I can't give any results. I would imagine that the flights would all be relatively close in altitude, but can't say for sure. The other thing to keep in mind when determining what to use is delay times. If one motor is going to deploy late, and one is not...well - which would you use?

I agree with that for certain, what I was getting at is the shortest available delay for the G64 is 4seconds and that may be too long.

I agree with that for certain, what I was getting at is the shortest available delay for the G64 is 4seconds and that may be too long.

So far, I've launched my G-Force on a G71-4R (bad idea; bad delay) and a G64-10W with the delay trimmed down to 4 seconds, which was perfect for the G64.

I really enjoyed my G-force, big rocket for small fields. Only thing I changed from spec was the shockcord. If I remember correctly almost all the g's were around 4 sec delays... except the extra long delay I had on an SU motor that put in ballistic into at a tree (yep the only tree near by) as it hit the chute popped. Still fixable just kinda forgot about it... maybe I'll fix it up and put it up this weekend in the snow.

Back