aerodynamics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
Rockets, cars, wings, videos, articles, ideas, fish, footballs, eels, pterodactyls, sand worms, frisbees, parachutes, rain drops, and more.

From the basics:

To heavy lifting:

Whatever you find and want to share.

:angel:

Search for "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics John Anderson free pdf".
This is a great book. Undergrad level I guess. It takes you all the way from the basics of circulation up to hypersonics. I found it very well written and informative.

Anderson also has a book Introduction to Flight which has a great history lesson at the start if I remember correctly.

Anderson also has a book Introduction to Flight which has a great history lesson at the start if I remember correctly.

That book is sitting on my desk as I type this note! That was the text used for my "Introduction to Aerospace Engineering" class at Michigan. It's a great book which covers an incredibly broad range of topics (including rocket motors) as well as historical accounts and is written in a pretty easy to understand way (compared to most college textbooks).

Search for "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics John Anderson free pdf".
This is a great book. Undergrad level I guess. It takes you all the way from the basics of circulation up to hypersonics. I found it very well written and informative.

That book was my textbook for AAE 333 and 334 (Fluid Mechanics and Aerodynamics) in college. It's one of the ones I liked enough to keep after the classes were over, too.

I found this pretty interesting:

How aerodynamics can help reduce asthma levels.

"In a nutshell, the 27-acre waterfront oil and gas industrial site is going to be converted into a clean energy hub that will power one-fifth of New York City with offshore wind power."

"Ditching fossil fuels is also going to improve the air quality in Western Queens, which has a higher asthma rate. In fact, it’s known as “Asthma Alley,” so unsurprisingly, this impactful change has strong community support."

https://electrek.co/2023/01/26/new-york-city-offshore-wind-power-us-first/

one regime that's usually ignored, glossed over, misunderstood, is very slow atmospheric dynamics. say, 1 to 5 knots or so. some surprising, counterintuitive things happen there. people that say otherwise haven't done any indoor microlight rubber band airplanes, or extreme low wind sailing... or really looked at insect flight... etc.

Last edited:
one regime that's usually ignored, glossed over, misunderstood, is very slow atmospheric dynamics. say, 1 to 5 knots or so. some surprising, counterintuitive things happen there. people that say otherwise haven't done any indoor microlight riubber band airplanes, or extreme low wind sailing...
Like running with open hands 😆

Kidding, but maybe that can be useful to study birds, insects and running animals, and maybe to improve performance in some sports and maybe even model rockets.

Last edited:
Short explanation of "bladeless" fans:

Back