Aerocon Systems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Any one use Aerocon Systems lately? If so, how was your experience?

Last edited:
Good experience, but haven't shopped lately. No reason to think it has changed.

No recent experience and only limited. Purchased an ARRD from them Nov 12th 2013, received a UPS shipping notification on Nov 13th 2013, arrived in Canada on the 19th of November.

Picked up a few of their 36" mil surplus parachutes back when they were only $6 a piece. More recently, grabbed one of the 60" chutes for $12.

Always had a smooth transaction.

Was have been looking at the 60" chute. Is it military surplus? Suitable for a rocket as it, or does it need modification?

Was have been looking at the 60" chute. Is it military surplus? Suitable for a rocket as it, or does it need modification?

Best deal in the hobby. Those chutes are ready to go out of the box!

Picked up a few of their 36" mil surplus parachutes back when they were only $6 a piece. More recently, grabbed one of the 60" chutes for $12.

Always had a smooth transaction.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I just ordered and received three of these, and am wondering what these were from, anyone know? The shroud lines are bulkier than I expected, but are supple enough to pack in a 3" airframe (a bit longer of a burrito than I'm used to). My three had heavy steel braided cable still looped through the bridle.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I just ordered and received three of these, and am wondering what these were from, anyone know? The shroud lines are bulkier than I expected, but are supple enough to pack in a 3" airframe (a bit longer of a burrito than I'm used to). My three had heavy steel braided cable still looped through the bridle.

The chutes are most likely air dropped parachute flare chutes, the cable would have been to protect the bridle from the heat of the flare.

The chutes are most likely air dropped parachute flare chutes, the cable would have been to protect the bridle from the heat of the flare.

Thanks!! Forgive the ignorance, but what purpose would the air-dropped flares serve?

Thanks!! Forgive the ignorance, but what purpose would the air-dropped flares serve?

They light up target areas enough that aerial gunners or troops on the ground can identify and kill enemy combatants. Aerial flares shine with millions of candle power iirc. There was one dropped over a gunnery range near where my unit was traing and it was bright enough I could still hit paper commie targets easily at 300 meters with the iron sights on my M-60.

Last edited:
They light up target areas enough that aerial gunners or troops on the ground can identify and kill enemy combatants. Aerial flares shine with millions of candle power iirc. There was one dropped over a gunnery range near where my unit was traing and it was bright enough I could still hit paper commie targets easily at 300 meters with the iron sights on my M-60.

Wow, thanks for the added explanation too! Certainly a lot different than I was picturing (which was causing me to wonder why a flare would need a 5' chute!)

Back