Advice needed...adding weight to nosecone using epoxy and lead shot.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridnharley

Reaction score
This is the 2nd time I am adding weight to a nosecone.
The first time was a bit messy.
I mixed the epoxy then added the lead shot, then I poured.
Most of the lead shot wanted to stay in the mixing cup, what a mess...anyway...
Is it better to mix the epoxy and pour it in the nosecone then pour the lead shot in the nosecone after the epoxy?

Thanks for all your help.

I've tried it both ways .Now I use a threaded rod the full length of the nose cone. Add the rod after an ounce of 5 minute epoxy. Put a coupler on the rod and then an eye bolt. I use different size rods depending on the weight I need. If I need more weight than the rod I use quick links and nuts to adjust the center of gravity. I stopped using lead shot and epoxy or clay and epoxy because I couldn't adjust the weight to match the motor size.

Is it better to mix the epoxy and pour it in the nosecone then pour the lead shot in the nosecone after the epoxy?

If you're putting in permanent weight, this is exactly what to do. Lead will sink through the epoxy no problem

I echo the advice to try an adjustable system (tube in the nose, threaded rod, etc...). Put the minimum permanent weight in for smallest motor you plan, then adjustable weights for larger motors as needed.

Don't forget to add an anchor for your nose weight. Typically two rods (wood or metal) thru the NC at 90° to each other where the weight will be. (Glues don't like to stick to NC plastic!)

I've made my life simple when adding nose weight. Open the hole in the base of the nose cone to about 1/2 inch. Use hot soapy water to wash the inside of the nosecone and let dry. Rubbing alcohol works great as well.

Weigh the nose cone and record the weight. Use part 1 of the epoxy and drip directly into the nose cone then weight it again and record. Now you know how much of part 1 of the epoxy you added. Add equal parts of hardener to the nosecone and use a scrap dowel rod to mix. I'll typically mix for 2 minutes to be sure. Once I'm happy that it is mixed I'll add in my BB's until I get to the desired weight. Use the same dowel rod to push the BB's into the Epoxy to be sure they are coated. No fuss and no mess.

I have never had a issue with Epoxy coming lose or the weight moving inside the cone when using this method. I once had a LOC cone fall off my work bench onto the concrete floor nose first and nothing moved. It's worth noting that you want to use 30 min. epoxy when doing this.

Back