Advice for LVL 2 cert launch with LOC IV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is there any way to fit an electronics bay to a fully assembled LOC IV for LVL 2 cert?

• Get a new rocket for lvl 2.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • keep the LOC IV and it can work.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patrick Veal

Reaction score
I got my LVL 1 cert with my LOC IV, amazing launch ran the H135 and had an amazing launch. I do not have an electronics bay nor to I have a drogue shoot (which I really think is necessary for lvl 2 cert) the rocket is fully assembled, is there any way to modify this beautiful rocket to hit my lvl 2 cert? Thanks in advance ladies and gents.

-Patrick

There's another thread running regarding doing L2 on the Loc4 coincidentally.
My question to you is what goals do you want to achieve in your L2 cert?

It is possible to upgrade it to L2 capability on baby Js, but great care must be taken to consider the strength of the parts and the greater stresses from a motor the kit is not designed for.
A drogue is not 'required' for L2, but think about the much greater altitude that you'll get on a J (J270 is over 3 times the impulse as the H135 and could correlate to three times the altitude and -more importantly- the drift). Dual deployment of some kind is highly recommended over 3k', especially if you don't have a tracker onboard.

Although upgrading the Loc4 for L2 would be a learning experience, my recommendation is to buy/scratch build another rocket that has the capability to fly on Js and Ks

It is a simple project, making the LOC IV into dual deploy. LOC has an ebay that can just be inserted like a coupler and add a small payload section. My preferred way is to add a Public Missiles Intelicone with a nose cone mounted electronics, you still need to add a coupler and a payload section. This will change your CG a bit so take that into account. Check out the LOC page for their e bay options. https://locprecision.com/product/electronic-bay-with-payload-tube/. A very simple project in reality.

Possible, yes. Add an ebay and top tube, electronics, and appropriate recovery materials. Tube and electronics bay from LOC is $46.75 plus shipping. That's almost half another rocket. If I had to do it again, I would L1 on a 38mm motor DD bird on single deploy, learn DD on that same bird at L1 altitudes and the cheaper L1 motors, then build an L2 bird with a 54mm motor mount and buy a motor mount adapter, confidently stepping into L2 with a bird, electronics, and skill sets that were fully suited to L2.

LOC advertises the kit as F, G, and H capable. That probably has a lot to do with it being single deploy. Pain in the butt to go chasing a pop-n-drop that's 3K feet up in the air and going downwind FAST, so that's probably why I and J's aren't part of their recommendation more so than any other factor.

Sim in Open Rocket or RocSim so you know what you're getting into. Open Rocket is free, easy, and runs on just about any platform that will run Java, so there's really no excuse NOT to be using it, especially as you quest for other designs and motors.

What it really comes down to is, once you've settled the question of CG and CP with the sim: Did you build the booster strong enough for L2 motors to begin with?

How thick are your fins? Another forum member had a LOC IV shred on a J with 1/8" fins. Apparently at one time they were sold with 1/4" fins. If you have 1/8" then you're probably better off building a new kit designed for L2 flying.

Use the Jolly Logic Chute Release and the lowest thrust J motor that will give enough thirst to weight at lift off.
It should be ok.

M

How thick are your fins? Another forum member had a LOC IV shred on a J with 1/8" fins. Apparently at one time they were sold with 1/4" fins. If you have 1/8" then you're probably better off building a new kit designed for L2 flying.

That's an important consideration, the LOC IV has a floppy fin shape for 1/8" if it's a newer kit.

MClark is certainly correct. Using a JLCR and a baby J should get you your cert without issues.

BUT, I agree with Nytrunner. Build a 54mm MMT DD rocket for your L2. It will have lower altitudes on baby J motors, but will handle the K motors too.

Even if you do get your cert with the LOC IV and a JLCR, build the larger L2 rocket. You won't regret it.

Hildegard the larger one if and only if you want to feed it. The smaller 38mm motors are more practical for the occasional L2 motor.

I am building a stock IV with a coupler instrument bay and extended BT option. I built up the fins with balsa and epoxy/glass. I have a build thread, if you are interested.

Frankly, in the HP/dual deploy version it looks and is built no differently than many kits advertised as suitable for L2 at the lower end of the performance scale, yet - providing I can keep the base version under 1500g - I can fly it MP with 29mm reloads at the local field.

That's an important consideration, the LOC IV has a floppy fin shape for 1/8" if it's a newer kit.

I vacuum bagged tapered balsa skins and 2oz cloth and epoxy on my withb IV fins with a $20 Craigslist Foodsaver. They are light, stiff and strong, and being composite construction, much less likely to flutter.

Back