Advice for grampa and his grandkids

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elbert Wonmug

Reaction score
Over 40 years ago, when my son was 8-10, he and I built a few rockets and launched them in a nearby field. If I recall correctly, they were powered by CO2 capsules. They didn't go that high. Now I have grandkids in that age range, so I was thinking about getting a couple of rocket kits that we could build and fly together.

I would appreciate recommendations for kits that would not be too difficult for an 8 year old who already does Lego kits with thousands of pieces rated for 12-16 year-olds 95% all by himself. :)

I or his dad will be right there with him during construction and launches.

I am not looking for the cheapest kits and I would prefer that they are "complete" so I don't have to go ordering accessories at least until we get the hang of it and see how interested he is. I also think this first rocket should not go that high so we can get the hang of retrieving it and a sense of how much open space we need. They live in a semi-rural area so open space is not a problem.

Thanks for any help.

You'll get an assortment of recommendations. Here are mine.

The Estes "Easy to Assemble" kits are great for starters. There's a bit of construction but no painting and generally very easy. They're lumped under the new "Beginner" label along with others, but on their website each rocket still has a "formerly" indication that will say if it's Easy to Assemble. If all goes well and they want to continue, then you can move up to Intermediate level rockets, which are still pretty simple but do require real assembly, usually with wood fins and such.

Some are available as parts of Launch sets, which include a rocket (or two) and a launch pad + launch controller. If you want to have more choice of rockets, and are willing spend a few extra bucks, then get the Porta-pad two pad + controller (https://estesrockets.com/product/002222-porta-pad-ii-launch-pad-and-electron-beam-launch-controller/) and then go take your pick on the Estes website (look under "Beginner", and then click on each one to see if it's Easy to Assemble). You can get significant discounts from AC Supply or Belleville Hobby if you want.

My personal preference is for slightly larger rockets (say, 1.325" or 1.637" in diameter) because they're easier to see in the sky, easier to handle, and easier to get a low flight with a smaller motor.

You'll need some motors of course. Always start with the smallest recommended motor to maximize your chance of getting it back.

Finally, it is highly recommended to head to a launch with at least two rockets, so one mishap doesn't end your day.

Your going to want an ESTES Starter set...…….There are several to choose from. I second Neils advice, on the larger ones to build !

Tandem X Estes launch set comes with two rockets, one just about ready to fly and big, so fun to watch, won’t go too high therefore you are likely to get it back, second rocket is a nice looker and an easy build. You will need to buy motors and wadding separately, paint for the smaller rocket.

Check NAR and see if a local club is around (hopefully some will start launching soon!)

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-map-locator/
Most club members love showing their stuff to kids and giving building and launching tips.

Straight trails!

Yes, lots of good advice here. The Estes starter kits are great, although their achilles heel is the launch controller. They work, but require very fresh batteries and good connections. I've had decent results with the AA model, but less than great results with the 9V battery model. So if you have troubles, check the launch controller and batteries first.

It looks they all seem to come with the 4xAA controller now, from what I could gate her from the website. I hope that’s correct, and that they’ve put the 9v controller to bed for good.

As soon as you can, Get out to a club launch. Bring your rockets, or not, just come to watch. When the 'big boys ' fly your grandson will be stoked, so will you. Great place to learn, meet folks like yourself. A word to the wise....You will be hooked. There will be grins all around! Have fun!

If Walmart still sells the Estes starter sets, Walmart will be the cheapest route...they price them less than manufacturers recommended price. I use to get them for $18 when going rate was $24. As stated they are RTF -Ready to fly, all you do is attached shock cord, make the chute and you are ready. Usually comes with 2 engines. You don't want big rockets, which are for ages 14 and up. Small rockets are still recommended at age 12, so yes, you and/or Dad are required. Keep them flying low, cause what breaks a kids heart...Rocket is "lost in space" or at least down a few blocks. And since no one mentions this, read them the NAR code and see if they understand why it is important. Also any literature Estes or NAR puts out, Estes used to give you a guide with the beginner sets.

Personally, I like the Apogee Apprentice starter set because it is a true all-in-one, unlike a lot of the current Estes sets. It comes with motors, wadding, launch pad, controller, rocket, and instructional DVD. All you need to supply is batteries for the controller (4X AA) and glue for the rocket. After building the Apprentice, the Apogee Avion makes a good second rocket and you can get it from the same place if you want to order both together. The Apogee website is also an invaluable treasure trove of information and tips.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocke...cket-Kits/Apprentice-Starter-Set?cPath=1_119&

I would appreciate recommendations for kits that would not be too difficult for an 8 year old who already does Lego kits with thousands of pieces rated for 12-16 year-olds 95% all by himself. :)

You can get many rockets for the price of those LEGO sets, so get a few different ones!

For starting kids out best are Balsa Machining Service "School Rockets"
The body tubes are slotted where the fins glue in so even if they are not glued in symmetrical they will be straight with the body tube so the rocket will fly straight so the kids get a good flight.
They only cost $5.95 each which makes them a best buy. Bill only charges $6.00 for shipping so you could order 6 for $41.70. You, your son, and your grandson could each build a couple. You will all have a ball! Also check out his 3 inch school rocket.
https://www.balsamachining.com/

Back