• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: WTB: PNC-80Ks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyldbill

Reaction score
I'm gathering parts to kit one of my designs and encountering a shortage of PNC-80Ks. If you're hoarding some that you can afford to get rid of, left me know. I'm trying to gather enough for 20 kits, but will take more if you've got 'em.

This is the Estes Phoenix NC (amongst others).

thanks,
-bill

Originally posted by wyldbill
I'm gathering parts to kit one of my designs and encountering a shortage of PNC-80Ks. If you're hoarding some that you can afford to get rid of, left me know. I'm trying to gather enough for 20 kits, but will take more if you've got 'em.

This is the Estes Phoenix NC (amongst others).

thanks,
-bill

I'm with ya Bill. I called Christine at ESTES and they won't sell them to me because they end up in my kits....go figure. (Gee, I wonder how they feel about their motors?)

Anyway, BMS has em. They're balsa, but they have em.
BMS Catalog>>>>PDF

Unfortunately I can't use Balsa, way too heavy for this design.

But thanks anyway....

-bill

Way too heavy???? Balsa vs PNC-80???
Is this an A3-4T powered BT-80 model or what?

What is unique about your design that prohibits the use of a balsa BNC-80K vs a plastic PNC-80K?

The PNC weighs in at 58 grams (2 oz)
The BNC weighs in at 66 grams (2.25oz)

If your design is that fussy about 1/4 oz, how will you account for intangibles like heavy primer & paint.

Can we get a look at it? Rocsim file maybe?

CTimm

Agreed...if anything...the extra 1/4 ounce should make the rocket more stable, unless it's some kind of odd-roc!

If you can post the file in V5 format for us demo-only cheapskates, we'd be much appreciative.

Jason

Pretty amazing how fast "Anyone got some NCs that they want to get rid of?" turns into, "you can't know what you're doing" and "what can I get for free"?

-bill

I never said you didn't know what you're doing.
I am curious as to how a design you plan on marketing to the public is limited by a quarter oz of extra nose weight.
More information on the unique design would be helpful for further discussion. If thats okay with you.
If its TOP SECRET, thats okay too.
Its just that 'less' not 'more' in the nose is a rarity.
Inquiring minds inquire.
And even though this part wasn't specifically aimed at me, I have a fully paid for RockSim V7.04.
I don't understand why the people that use the demo version don't ante up for the real thing.
Its most definately worth it.

CTimm

Originally posted by wyldbill
Pretty amazing how fast "Anyone got some NCs that they want to get rid of?" turns into, "you can't know what you're doing" and "what can I get for free"?

-bill

Where was th free part....?

Somebody..play Free Bird!:D

Originally posted by CTimm
...would be helpful for further discussion.
The only discussion here is "Do you have any PNC-80Ks for sale". If you're talking about something else, you're talking amongst yourselves.

If I wanted a design critique, I would have created a "Critique my Design" thread in the Scratch Built forum.

Bill,

I did a search and came up dry. Maybe you can try some others.

Somewhere there was a thread about somebody having a bunch of them.

I bought 3 at NARAM 43 from soebody with a REALLY BIG cardboard box full of them. A vendor, but I don't remember who it was.

sandman

If you haven't already been sent there, try Ken at Performance Hobbies https://www.performancehobbies.com/
He has them for $5 each.
He can be slow and does lose orders (he lost one of mine) but a few judiciously spaced follow-up phone calls will generally ensure you get your items.
I also have some (2-3 I'd be willing to unload) if you get stuck.

Tallman!!!

Yea...that was him at NARAM43! I knew it was some vendor.

Bill,

Looks like yer all set now!

sandman

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

But..... I bought the last two Ken had before I posted here :)

He told me that he had ~250 (most of which I believe he bought from Ross, who sent me there in the first place, as he was out), and people have bought him out (someobdy took 50!).

Tallman, contact me offline and we'll make a deal for what you care to part with.

thanks again,
-bill

This brings up a great subject matter. Bill, and others, are looking for a PNC or BNC80K. The supply is very limited. We know if tubes were the issue, one could turn to Euclid possibly to fill fairly lare orders.
Who would do production molding of cones?

Originally posted by flying_silverad

In the same high quality plastic that Estes uses...:rolleyes::cool:

Jason

Originally posted by flying_silverad
This brings up a great subject matter. Bill, and others, are looking for a PNC or BNC80K. The supply is very limited. We know if tubes were the issue, one could turn to Euclid possibly to fill fairly lare orders.

A note on the Euclid tubes: I got a pair of 36" Euclid BT80 tubes off of eBay (along with some 29mm tubes and nose cones.) anyway, just FYI, the Euclid BT80 tubes are *thick* walled. Very rigid and heavy. I slid a PNC 80K that I have in one end, and it fits very nicely - but the tube is about 1mm greater in radius than the base of the cone at the shoulder (so you get about a 1mm "lip" of body tube all the way around.) This can most likely be cleaned up by sanding this "lip" down in a tapered fashion, but it's still there.

It *is* covered in a nice glassine finish, brown in color, with very tight and small spirals.

Just thought I'd post some notes on a Euclid tube since I got a pair.

On the production molding of cones: How about QModeling? Don't they do that sort of thing as a major part of their business (not necessarily cones, but other stuff?) I know they make their own plastic parts.....

Originally posted by Fore Check
A note on the Euclid tubes: I got a pair of 36" Euclid BT80 tubes off of eBay (along with some 29mm tubes and nose cones.) anyway, just FYI, the Euclid BT80 tubes are *thick* walled. Very rigid and heavy. I slid a PNC 80K that I have in one end, and it fits very nicely - but the tube is about 1mm greater in radius than the base of the cone at the shoulder (so you get about a 1mm "lip" of body tube all the way around.) This can most likely be cleaned up by sanding this "lip" down in a tapered fashion, but it's still there.

It *is* covered in a nice glassine finish, brown in color, with very tight and small spirals.

Just thought I'd post some notes on a Euclid tube since I got a pair.

I too recently bid on & won on eBay some of those exact same Euclid tubes (both the 2.6" x 36" & 29mm x 34") that you're talking about. (Only bad thing is that the couplers have to be sanded quite a bit to get them to fit smoothly!) Aside from that, it's some good stuff & I snagged a nice selection for a great price!

Forgive me taking a half-step back in the conversation, but look again at BMS. If you look closely at Balsa Machining Service's PDF pricelist (NOT the online page), they offer a nosecone part # BNC80KH. The H probably stands for "heavy duty" as it has a slightly larger diameter (2.64 vs 2.60) to compensate for the heavier gauge tubes. Same price though...$6.95/each. I saw that NC when I was looking for a comparably sized NC to do a Big Bertha upscale m'self ;)

HTH,

Originally posted by CTimm
Way too heavy???? Balsa vs PNC-80???
Is this an A3-4T powered BT-80 model or what?

What is unique about your design that prohibits the use of a balsa BNC-80K vs a plastic PNC-80K?

The PNC weighs in at 58 grams (2 oz)
The BNC weighs in at 66 grams (2.25oz)

If your design is that fussy about 1/4 oz, how will you account for intangibles like heavy primer & paint.

Can we get a look at it? Rocsim file maybe?

CTimm

Hollow out the BNC so it is overall far lighter.

Tech Post Jerry

You should see some more of these popping up soon. I just placed an order and they expect them within a week or so. Keep looking if you really need the plastic ones. Otherwise if you need just one and you need it NOW...hollowing might be the way to go.

Back