• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: Some auction items, rocket and others

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have just posted several personal auctions that some of you may be interested in.

You can find them all here.

They include the following:

Benz-Gant Helioflex 3000T 35mm camera
Archer universal breadboard
Estes Fin Alignment Guide
MPC Flat Cat
Estes plastic transition with attachment
Original Howard Kune (CMR) Pop Lug kit
IMEX Visible V2 rocket plastic model kit - begging to be converted!
Saratoga Race Track umbrella
Viking and Apollo postage stamps.

Bid early, bid often! :D

jim

Jim,

Would you explain how a pop lug works?

I've heard of them, but never seen one.

WOOHOO! I'm after the V-2!

Originally posted by Gus
Jim,

JKim's COugar 660 uses them, so I'm sure he can explain better.

Essentially, it's when the lug comes off the birds and stays with the pad at launch.

One of the first ways it was done was to glue the lug to a bent piece of wire or metal tab, cut a slit in the body tube, and insert the metal piece so that it would come off if pulled towards the aft of the model. It was then put on the pad, and tape wrapped around the end of the luanch rod. When the bird went up, the lug hit the tape, and the bird kept going while the lug got stopped.

While it saves on drag, it's also hard to do without causing a jerk when it comes free, possibily resulting in a tip-off.

Originally posted by Gus
Jim,

aahhh, pop lugs. As I say in the auction, a long lost art form :)

There are many designs. Howard Kune's was very effective. The one that we sell is of a different design (mine) and is a collection of trade-offs between Howard's design and my own original.

Basically, the way mine works is you have a launch lug with a single bent pin at the top and a loop of wire that forms 2 hooks at the rear (bottom). you figure out where the lug will rest on the rocket and place a small pin hole for that top pin on the lug.

It has to be situated such that the two hooks on the bottom of the lug catch the underside of two fins when the front pin is seated in the hole. Made properly, the lug should be sitting flush against the body of the rocket.

It need not be tight. The tighter it is the greater the chance for a tip-off on the rod. But too loose and she will come off way too soon (an art form, get it :) ) You then put the model on the launch rod then place a wrap of tape at the top of the rod. WHen the model reaches this point, the lug "pops" off of the model and stays behind (don't forget to go back to the launch pad to retrieve your pop lug :) )

It's cheeper than a tower, less complicated than a piston, very reliable once you understand the function. I love them as they are a low cost, highly reliable, low tech solution to launching a competition or scale bird without the drag or unsightlyness of a lug.

For those unaware, a launch lug adds up to 15% of the drag of a model rocket. Removing the lug by use of a pop lug, tower or piston launcher adds a great deal of speed and altitude to your model. A must in competition.

jim

I won the Estes Fin Alignment Guide!!!!!!! I've been wanting to have one of these for a while. Now, do I use this rare rocketry item or save it for 20 years?

Yep, sold all but one item (the stamps). Bids weren't as high as I expected on some, were a lot higher than expected on others :)

I've received payment from most winners and will be shipping items tomorrow and Wednesday

jim

Originally posted by jflis
Yep, sold all but one item (the stamps). Bids weren't as high as I expected on some, were a lot higher than expected on others :)

I've received payment from most winners and will be shipping items tomorrow and Wednesday

jim

STAMPS?!? How did I miss that?

I collect mint space stamps, unless rare and uber-expensive ;) then I go for cancelled, for now...

Whatcha got?

Patrick

Back