• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: Selling Some Stuff

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know Doug, I think you can ship motors via the post office if they contain 30 grams of propellant or less.

Or at least that's what I heard.

Take them to your local hobby shop dealer and if he sells model rocket engines then he can ship them legally for you...... Just label them correctly as Toy Propellant devices...NA0323 NA0276....

You may want to make your local hobby shop a middleman....you sell motors to him, he resells them to whoever.....

Originally posted by n3tjm
Current ROL Auctions

Also, I like to sell some F13, F16, F23, and G12 loads once I figure out how to ship them.

Well, you can try to sell them to someone close enough to pick them up.

Otherwise, USPS surface only.*

You do have to get permission to ship them first. That costs time only. Your local postmaster should be able to help you.

The USPS regulation covering this is at
https://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.htm

The form is probably available in the same area of their web site.

Here's the relevant pieces:

Pub. 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail

341.22 Mailable Explosives
The following specific types of explosives may be mailed only when the applicable conditions are met. Full responsibility rests with the mailer to comply with DOT and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) regulations before mailing.
a. Toy Propellant Devices. The proper shipping name for a toy propellant device is "model rocket motor" or "igniters." A toy propellant device assigned UN0454 or NA0323 and classed as a Division 1.4S explosive is eligible for mailing in domestic mail via surface transportation only when prior written permission has been obtained from the Manager, Business Mail Acceptance, USPS Headquarters, Washington, DC. A device approved for mailing is subject to the following conditions:
(1) Each device must be ignitable by electrical means only; contain no more than 62.5 g (2.23 oz) of propellant; and produce less than 80 newton seconds of total impulse with thrust duration not less than 0.050 second.
(2) Each device must be constructed so that all chemical ingredients are preloaded into a cylindrical paper or similarly constructed nonmetallic tube that does not fragment into sharp, hard pieces; must be designed so that it will not burst under normal conditions of use; must be incapable of spontaneous ignition under 500 degrees F; and must not contain any type of explosive or pyrotechnic warhead other than a small, activation-charge parachute- recovery system.
(3) Each mailpiece containing approved devices must be prepared for mailing following Packaging Instruction 1A in Appendix C. A shipper's declaration for dangerous goods is required.

USPS Packaging Instruction 1A
Toy Propellant Devices
The proper shipping name for a mailable toy propellant device is "model rocket motor" or igniter." A device that is assigned identification number NA0323 or UN0454 and classed as a Division 1.4S explosive is eligible for mailing in domestic mail via surface transportation only, provided all requirements are met and the device is properly packaged as follows.
Proper Shipping Name and ID Number
* Model Rocket Motors, NA0323
* Igniters, UN0454
Required Authorization
Prior written permission must be obtained from the Manager, Business Mail Acceptance, USPS Headquarters, Washington, DC (see DMM G043 for mailing address).
Mailability
* International Mail: Prohibited.
* Domestic Mail: Permitted only via surface transportation (i.e., Standard Mail rates) and with prior approval. Each device must meet the specifications in 341.22a.
Design Specifications
Mailable devices must meet each of the following conditions:
* Each device must be ignitable by electrical means only.
* Each device must contain no more than 62.5 g (2.23 oz) of propellant.
* Each device must produce less than 80 newton seconds of total impulse with thrust duration not less than 0.050 second.
* Each device must be constructed so that all chemical ingredients are preloaded into a cylindrical paper or similarly constructed nonmetallic tube that does not fragment into sharp, hard pieces.
* Each device must be designed so that it will not burst under normal conditions.
* Each device must be incapable of spontaneous ignition under 500 degrees F.
* Each device must not contain any type of explosive or pyrotechnic warhead other than a small, activation-charge parachute-recovery system.
Required Packaging
Inner Receptacle
* Each device must be packed in a securely sealed primary receptacle made of fiberboard, wood, or metal.
* Multiple primary receptacles are permitted.
Cushioning Material
* Each primary receptacle must be surrounded by sufficient cushioning material to absorb shock and prevent breakage.
Outer Packaging
* A strong outer packaging that is capable of firmly and securely holding the primary receptacle(s) and cushioning material is required.
* Each mailpiece must not exceed a total weight of 25 pounds.
Marking
* Each outer packaging must be clearly marked on the address side with Toy Propellant Devices" followed by the applicable proper shipping name and UN or NA number. The markings Surface Mail Only" and Handle With Care" must also appear on the address side of the mailpiece. A DOT hazardous materials warning label must not be affixed.
* A complete mailing address and return address must be used.
Documentation
* A properly completed shipper's declaration for dangerous goods prepared in triplicate must be affixed to the outside of the mailpiece.
Note: Full responsibility rests with the mailer to comply with DOT and ATF regulations before mailing.

* UPS Ground will also work but costs $20 hazmat fee.

Wow... they upped the weight limit... If I read this correctly, we can now go all the way up to 62.5 grams via USPS. :). It used to be somethink like half that.

I am looking into getting proper permission to ship. Before I read this, I was on the phone with someone at the Salem, NH postoffice. They were all very helpful, and pretty much read to me what was here (except for the weight part.).... Now the next step is to find out how do I get written permission.

Originally posted by n3tjm
Wow... they upped the weight limit... If I read this correctly, we can now go all the way up to 62.5 grams via USPS. :). It used to be somethink like half that.

I am looking into getting proper permission to ship. Before I read this, I was on the phone with someone at the Salem, NH postoffice. They were all very helpful, and pretty much read to me what was here (except for the weight part.).... Now the next step is to find out how do I get written permission.

62.5 g per pieces. Multiple pieces are allowed. Total package weight limit 25 lbs.

The way to get written permission is to write away for it at USPS HQ in Washington. It's free AFAIK, but it takes time.

You know, Kosdon is only about 12 miles south of you. They can definitely ship reloads. You might ask them if they'd let you ship through them. For liability reasons you might want to offer to pack it there where they can see.

At least they were. Not sure if they're still there after licensing to AT. Their web site is down, but you could check: Kosdon East, c/o Paul Robinson, 5 Old Bridge Street South, Pelham NH 03076 - +1-603-635-8912 - [email protected]

Originally posted by DynaSoar
You know, Kosdon is only about 12 miles south of you. They can definitely ship reloads. You might ask them if they'd let you ship through them. For liability reasons you might want to offer to pack it there where they can see.

At least they were. Not sure if they're still there after licensing to AT. Their web site is down, but you could check: Kosdon East, c/o Paul Robinson, 5 Old Bridge Street South, Pelham NH 03076 - +1-603-635-8912 - [email protected]

Thanks :). Actually, I am 1 step ahead of you on that one ;). I already asked. Waiting an answer. BTW, I don't know if you realize it, but Kosdon East is now AMW. I been their several times :). That is Pauls old e-mail, it does not work anymore. I know he can (and probabily will) ship them for my via Fed Ex, but there is a $20 Hazmat. Don't want to do that. I asked if he has the paperwork to ship through USPS, and if he does... is it still valid?

Thanks Guys :). Turns out I don't need to ship them. I e-mailed CMASS about the loads... after several days past, I got an inquiry about what I had. After a couple e-mails, he made an offer, and I took it. It was exactly the amount I needed :). I will deliver them in person :).

Back