• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: Clear BT50 Body Tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
There is a guy on RMR who found a short term source for clear tubing that is an exact fit for a BT50. He wants to sell it in lots of 20 pieces at about $1.00 a tube. I don't think I would ever use 20 of these, however I might like to get a few pieces. If anyone is intrerested in a group buy, please contact me eother via e-mail or on the forum.

Of course, if you want 20, go to RMR and knock yourself out.....

Do we know what the tube lengths are? Are these 18 inch (like Estes) or 34 inch (like Totally Tubular)?

I would probably be interested in a half-dozen or so, depending on how expensive the shipping is.

If there are any NARHAMSTERS out there thinking of doing a group buy, I'm good for a couple.

Heck, I'll take a couple...I don't use RMR could you send him here.

sandman

hey Hospital_Rocket,

Did we round up enough interest to make this worthwhile or did this whole deal fall through?

to the rest of you guys: if you really really want to fly something with with a clear one-inch body tube, you can check out your local aquarium shop for a rough substitute.
They sell three-foot lengths of fairly clear plastic and use it for the 'stand' tubes that attach to under-gravel filters. The stuff I got was a very tight fit for an Estes plastic NC, but it will work if this is the only plastic tube you can find. One piece costs a couple dollars at my local stores and there is no shipping.

I think I have enough interest, I'm just waituing for the guy to get back to me on bulk shipping.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out!

A

The tubes are on their way to me...

The cost is seventy cents each for a 34" section plus postage. If you are still interested, please PM me with shipping instructions and I'll get you the tab. Don't be surprised if the shipping is more than the price for a single piece. I can probably save cost on shipping for those of you who don't need the full length by cutting them down and popping them in a padded envelope. Figure on 11" sections (more or less).

Also, if some of you are in local clubs, I have no problem with a joint shipment...

A

Hpwdy,

Before I PM you, is this deal still going on ?..If so I'd be interested in a tube - would come in handy for a couple projects. 8)

Many thanks,

For those of you I have a PM from I will send these on the honor system and drop you a note with the tab. I'll do everything possible to keep shipping as low as possible. Those where it's OK to cut down will get them in a padded envelope, the rest will be in tubes.

I'm planning to ship them either this weekend or early next week. If you are in a hurry and want to eat a FedX charge, let me know.

And I hope you don't get stung for it!

Can you give any idea if regular (non-Fedex) shipping is somewhere around $5 to 10? And did you get my PM about the quantity?

Absolutely no hurry to ship, at least from my point of view. In fact, any delay will just give me that much more time to figure out a place to hide the new goodies, so the wife doesn't start asking qstns about them.

Just curious... is the use of clear tube restricted to use as a payload section only, versus using it to make a see-thru rocket? I mean is there a NAR code or something that would prevent this? If not, has it ever been done successfully? I know Estes had a display-only model years ago that was made of clear plastic, and I remember thinking it might be cool if it really did fly. I imagine it wouldn't be too clear after a few flights, though. Aren't there some rtf and other rocket made almost entirely of plastic?

S..

You can use clear BT for anything you want. There are no NAR rules against it (or any other organization, as far as I know).

The old Estes Astron Streak was a 2.75 inch long piece of BT-20 equivalent clear plastic tube. The tubing material was quite flexible but was effectively held rigidly in the correct position when a motor was inserted. You had to use peel-n-stick paper to wrap the tube so you could glue fins on the back and the NC in the front.

The biggest problem with using plastic tubes is finding something strong enough not to collapse during thrust, but not so thick-walled and heavy that performance suffers. There are further problems with trying to use clear plastic, especially around the front of the motor mount where hot ejection gasses will fog and scorch the inside of the BT. I like to use a paper liner starting at the front of the motor mount and extending about half-way to the nose----I can just throw it away after a flight and the plastic tube still looks good. Or, if you have a plentiful supply of plastic tube, you could cut a sleeve from a piece of scrap and slip it inside the BT to the same location.

Other difficulties with plastic BT include finding the right adhesives to attach fins, lugs, etc, without melting/eating the thin-walled BT. If you find a glue that works, then you have to worry about your craftsmanship, because the glue joints around the fins are really going to show.

Anchor points for the recovery system can be either internal (at the motor mount) or external (at the base of the fins).

It would be kind of cool to find a source of matching clear plastic nose cones but I am not holding my breath.

And the old Estes Phantom display model? It was completely flight-worthy (I saw one flown many times).

Originally posted by powderburner
You can use clear BT for anything you want. There are no NAR rules against it (or any other organization, as far as I know).

The old Estes Astron Streak was a 2.75 inch long piece of BT-20 equivalent clear plastic tube. The tubing material was quite flexible but was effectively held rigidly in the correct position when a motor was inserted. You had to use peel-n-stick paper to wrap the tube so you could glue fins on the back and the NC in the front.
Actually, the Streak used Spiral Wound Mylar Tube, which is the same thing that the original Scrambler used for its payload section.

So, did you get the tubing from Mr. Nee?

Back