• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: Anyone want to trade?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
OK. I may be opening Pandora's box with this one, but hey what the heck. I am going to show you guys what I'm looking for by including my wish list and list of kits that I have. The one's in RED are the ones I'd really like to get/trade for. Now, not every kit is available for trade, although I will consider each offer carefully. PLEASE be resonable in your offers, I check Ebay & ROL everyday and I have a pretty good idea of what fair is. I am just hoping that there is something here you're looking for and can help me in my quest. You can contact me thru the forum or email me. Thanx guys.

I couldn't get all of it in one list, so I broke it up into 3 parts. Here is my "trade bait".

And last but certainly not least, my other "trade bait". Like I said, I've got a pretty good handle on what things go for, so don't offer me a Dude and Venus Probe for something, I won't reply, although in this forum I highly doubt that would happen, you guys are pretty sharp. Well, here's the last of it, looking forward to seeing what happens, if at all else I'll see who shares my same likes. Thanx again,

Tim

I find it interesting that you have a Nimbus on both your Wish list and your Trade Bait list.

Your wish list is pretty good - I'd be wishing for a bunch of those too.

There's an Interceptor on eBay right now - but they always go for over $200 :)eek: )

The only things I have that are on your wish list are the Mini Tri Pack and the Manta Bomber (and you're not getting my Manta Bomber!!!!) :cool:

I take it your wish list is for collection purposes? Several of the models on it are fairly common and easy clones....

I have the Nimbus on both lists because even though I have one, I'd like to aquire another for collection, then build one. Remember, not all on the trade bait list is for trade(unless I get some incredible offer).

As for the Inteceptors, yes I have bids on both of them, but I know that won't last, and I sure am not going to pay 200 bucks.

As for the cloning, that's where I'm a little green. While I have aquired some decals from Exselsior(astronboy) to clone the BBZ and Renegade, those will be my first clone projects. As for the others, any info on cloning will help. So I guess ,yes, it will be for collection, unless I can get a good deal, then I would like to build them.

Tim,
Balsa Machining Service makes really nice clone kits of the Cobra and Mars Snooper. They include laser cut fins and decals (the MS, anyway). If you want an Interceptor to collect, good luck! However, it's an easy clone with parts from Moldin' Oldies (go to the Bar Clone site for the link). You can get the nose cone, tail cone, and fin pods in nice lightweight resin, and the fin pods are one piece. I have a set and am priming it now, so soon I'll post pics. Decals are available from Tango Papa, or you can make your own.

I wish I had something to trade for the Shrox Star Shuttle!

Drew Tomko

AAAAAAaaaaaaahhhh,

Cloning can be the most fun and rewarding part of being a BAR!

Here's some links that will be of great help to you:

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/estes_expanded_kit_list.htm

That is an expanded Estes kit list hosted by Ye Olde RocketShoppe. It includes HTML links to all (publicly) available plans for each rocket, where applicable (this includes Shasta's and JimZ's) Simply find the rocket you want on the list, and click the link to the plans. The plans will include scans of the original instructions, and in most cases scans of the fins and decals. Make sure you print your fin/decal templates to the correct scale! I suggest downloading the PDF file for the plans and that will print them at the right size. Or, if the PDF isn't available, check to see if the fin pattern is in *.TIF format. I've found (and this is cheap and dirty) that if you download the *.TIF file and then open it with Microsoft Paint (comes with Windows) that it will print to the correct size.

Now for parts interpretetations. Most of the parts listed in the plans will have part numbers that you will need to cross reference to get their correct size. For instance: How long is a BT 50B? Well, Ninfinger has a chart here: https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/body_tubes.html
Just reference the list to get the right dimensions.

Same thing for nose cones. Here's the Ninfinger chart:
https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/custom_estes/nosecone.html

Next, where do you get all these tubes and cones? First, I'd try www.BalsaMachining.com They have a very large selection of tube stock, nose cones, centering rings, launch lugs, transitions, motor hooks, you name it! Same with Totally Tubular (minus the nose cones and transitions) at www.totubular.com Or you could try any of the vendors that regularly visit this board, like www.FlisKits.com or even www.thrustaero.com (check the link on his site to his eBay web store.) For nose cones that you don't see available from BalsaMachining or anywhere else, try emailing or pm-ing our very own Sandman - he does excellent custom work. It should be noted that the nose cone source cited here that the cones will be made of wood (usually Balsa unless you get something *really* custom from Sandman) but no one will know the difference if the original calls for plastic. DTomko mentioned the Moldin' Oldies site for the parts to clone the Interceptor.

So, now you have plans and parts. Just cut your tubes to the right lengths, trace your fin patterns on balsa stock and away you go!

Now to finish it off. You've already dealt with Astronboy's company, Excelsior rocketry. He does very, very good work! And if he doesn't have a decal already in his database, he's very good about putting together a set if the plans are available somewhere. Also check out https://www.tangopapadecals.com/index.html for TangoPapa's site. I'd try Excelsior first.....

You could also try printing your own decals. However, for several on your list where there is "white" in the decal, a standard laser or ink jet printer just won't do. You'll need an ALPS printer setup for those. Astronboy and TangoPapa use ALPS printers.

Several of the rockets on your list make great cloning projects. Just at first glance, you could (relatively) easily clone the following rockets with the resources I posted above: Photon Disruptor, Photon Disuptor II, Mars Snooper II, Interceptor, Omega, Andromeda, Mini Tri Pak, Bomarc, Mars Snooper, Cobra, Vigilante, and Der Red Max. Some of the others on your list either have a bunch of "custom" molded parts or nose cones or the plans aren't readily available.

Good luck! I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here who'd love to be as helpful as possible in your future cloning projects.

Back