• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: A CHEAP! Saturn 1B!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Would you guys be interested in a Cheap Saturn 1B maybe a BT-80, BT-70' or better yet a BT-60 sized?

Gus and I were tossing around an idea.

This would be "Stand Waaaay Off Scale" but very very flyable and very easy to build with almost no painting involved.

All of the details would be an optical illusion but would look right from a distance.

I was thinking under $20 for a kit!

sandman

Would it have the wraparound tank tubing, or would that be the illusion? For 20 bucks, I'd be interested.

Would it have the wraparound tank tubing, or would that be the illusion?

The 8 tanks would be "printed" on a paper wrap. from just a few feet away it looks good so far.

Sorry no pics yet. It's a rainy day here so I'm just playing with my computer.

These will have to be printed at a print shop 'cause an inkjet printer makes the wrap to messy.

But it's just my prototype.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Would you guys be interested in a Cheap Saturn 1B maybe a BT-80, BT-70' or better yet a BT-60 sized?

Gus and I were tossing around an idea.

This would be "Stand Waaaay Off Scale" but very very flyable and very easy to build with almost no painting involved.

All of the details would be an optical illusion but would look right from a distance.

I was thinking under $20 for a kit!

sandman
Sounds neat. I would be interested. But make the capsule reasonable...

This is what I've done so far.

I LIKE IT!!

I may have to turn the nose cone out of balsa...not happy about the paper capsule. The top is a BT-50 and the main booster is a BT-60.

8 balsa fins have to be made yet and I have to draw the tower and escape motor yet.

Not perfect but close enough.

Waddaya think?

sandman

Not perfect but close enough.

Waddaya think?

Not perfect????? I'm trying to find the problem with it!!!!! Oh wait..... The problem is "I DON'T HAVE ONE YET!!!!!" :D

PS. Are you ready to start receiving the money for pre-orders?:D

Hey Sandman , for $20 Id be intrested! Id have to find out some way of finding shipping charges out.
Karl

I think I would be VERY interested! If you are going to turn the capsule, will it have the tower?

I'm in!;)

pssst...let me know if you need any recovery devices!:D

OK, folks, bare with me here I'm just thnking out loud and I'd like some help on this.

OK, maybe not a kit but a plan set with paper shrouds included. Maybe the nose cone but I'm not sure.

If it's a plans set EVEN CHEAPER!!

You provide the body tubes (BT-60 and BT-50 for now), centering rings, parachute and motor tube.

I may make it bigger. this thing is pretty light so maybe a BT-70 would be better. Or to be more scale a Totally Tubular T-2.04 tube (2.04" in diameter) and a Totally Tubular T-52H (1.21") for the Service Module.
This would make it the exact same size as my ealier Saturn 1B kit but cheaper.

Or....two sizes!!! :)

For the Brits all I'd have to send you is a large envelope. That should be cheap to mail.

Realise this...I only came up with this about 7 hours ago!

sandman

Sounds great either way! Kits are fun, but a set of plans and wrappers will work too. It's always fun collecting the parts for a scratch build! Either way let me know!!! Thanks, loojack

Hi Sandman,

This sounds great!!

Sort of like the opposite of the old ESTES Vostok that flattened the outer boosters into fins....

I would vote for a set of wraps and plans. With the NC as an option, or all of the specs to order the NC frm BMS.

Fred

I'm still working out the nosecon/escape tower details.

How about this?

A 3/16" dowel is pretty close to the right size for the escape motor (0.1875" versus actual scale 0.1637") Maybe just sand it down a bit if you're a stickler for scale.

Have the dowel run as the escape motor all the way down to the nose cone/capsule.
(sharpen the tip a bit.)
Print another wrap to simulate the escape tower latice work and another for the motor flare.

I'll work on that.

Early this morning I cleaned up the wrap and corrected the corrugation a bit.

More pics later today.

sandman

I like the idea of the plans and wraps set.
It gives it more of a scratch build appeal.
And I've got so many kits waiting to be built, it's hard to justify buying more, but for a few bucks, I'd buy the wraps.
I think either way you go, you'll be able to sell all you want.

Well, maybe I could do both.

A plan set with wraps AND a kit.

Not everybody has centering rings, motor mounts, body tubes and wood dowels hanging around the house.

For some people it would be worth maybe $10 more to have all that stuff in a bag with the wraps.

Here is an improved version...Man...I got paper all over my office. There is a lot of trial and error on something like this.

My printer won't do silver for the Service Module but I thought maybe a gunmetal blue???

This isn't the final version...just my latest. Gus is working on something special for the tank tubes...hehehe really cool too!

Wadaya think?

sandman

Well, maybe I could do both.

A plan set with wraps AND a kit.

Wadaya think?

I might have to get a new keyboard (too much drool!!!!)

I like the idea of both...... For me, I'd take the kit..... But it's looking very nice!!!!!

I would be interested it either a kit or the wraps and plan set.

Is the kit ready to ship yet?:p

Why not? Whats the holdup?:D :D

Just kidding!!

I know that it will take a while to get anything ready to sell.

But WE ARE WAITING with money burning a hole in our pockets:D

How about this?

The planset will have a cardstock capsule but the kit will have a balsa capsule!

The "Plan-Set" will have;

Plans and drawings
Bill of required materials to complete the model
Wraps and Patterns

The "Kit" will have;

Plans abnd drawings
Wraps and Patterns
Recovery device (shock cord paratchute...etc.)
Motor mount.
Nose Cone (balsa) with extra "parts".
Balsa fins and patterns

The only painting required on the kit will be the nose cone and the edges of the fins. (fins will have cardstock covers).

And NOT until AFTER NARAM!!!

sandman

This is my second attempt at the escape tower.

Tiny parts!

sandman

I really like the idea of the plans set, with the card stock capsule. That sounds like fun build! loojack

The "Plan-Set" will have;

Plans and drawings
Bill of required materials to complete the model
Wraps and Patterns

Since no one else has asked yet..... Will you have the balsa nose cone with the "extra parts" available as a separate purchase for those of us who get the plan set but don't want a card stock capsule?

I got to finish it up today after work.

The only thing left is a clear coat to protect it.

As for kits...well that will have to wait until after NARAM.

Anybody have any ideas for an alternate to an inkjet printer?

That is the weak part of the model...inkjet printed paper is very fragile.

sandman

Can you make masters and have them laser printed at say, Kinkos or something?
Fred

Originally posted by astronboy
Can you make masters and have them laser printed at say, Kinkos or something?
Fred

I second that. Just make sure the scale is exact.

Back