Quantcast

"Advanced Forum" and Apology

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

GL-P

Reaction score
THIS BY NO MEANS IS A FLAME THREAD. THE MODS DO A GREAT JOB BUT SEEM TO GET A LOT OF FLAME FOR YOUR JOB. GOOD JOB GUYS!

What is the thought of an "Advanced Forum"?

Of course I don't understand the process involved with such a change but I believe it could attract a lot of knowledgeable members w/o the flaming at R.M.R. If it seems possible/reasonable, I could volunteer as a occasional moderator just to cut down on the junk if it helps to get an "Advanced Forum"

I'm very sorry that the members have been a very rowdy group. I can't imagine the work / money that goes into a forum. Most probably take this forum for granted. GOOD JOB GUYS! Where would we be without you guys? I personally think you mods do a great job! (maybe I'm trying too hard ? :D ) Seriously tho, great job!

KermieD

Reaction score
What would you want in an "Advanced Forum" that's not here? We're always open to suggestions. Please remember though that we would still enforce the rules on personal attacks, politics, and EX.

Jase

Reaction score
This topic has been brought up a few times before and we've always said no...

I'll bring it back up to the other admins/mods and we'll talk about it again....

GL-P

Reaction score
This topic has been brought up a few times before and we've always said no...
I would like to know why the answer in the previous times was no. Was it the fact that there is other forums that it fits in?

What would you want in an "Advanced Forum" that's not here? We're always open to suggestions. Please remember though that we would still enforce the rules on personal attacks, politics, and EX.
I am interested in a seperate forum for stuff like L3, advanced construction (composites, mylar, vellum, etc.), and advenced design (supersonic, complex, 2 stage, etc.), and scientific papers of interest (links only to not infringe on copyrights).

I just thought of those in a few seconds. Probably could be more if some others chimed in.

I understand the current filters, esp. the one on EX. Don't know if a purely EX thread would get enough traffic to be a good forum considering the EX filter.

-----Greg Lewis-Paley

KermieD

Reaction score
As you surmised, most of the topics you bring up fit into other categories. We're bandying about the idea of an Advanced Forum, but it would be a tighter forum than that. The scientific papers would fit in with such a forum. The other topics you mention all fit nicely into other categories:

L3: High Powered Rocketry
Advanced construction: Techniques and/or Contests (vellum comes to mind for that one)
Advanced design: This too would fit under Techniques and/or Scratch Built.

There are a couple of reasons the answer was "no". First and foremost, the server move has been in the works for a number of months now and that had to take precedence. Secondly, the stance has always been a KISS one--we don't want to fragment the discussion groups to the point where it makes things difficult to navigate. I know it may be a piece of cake for you and I to navigate, but remember how many people come here relatively new to rocketry (would a two engine BP cluster qualify as advanced or would it just be LPR?) and/or surfing a message board. We want to make those people feel welcome and at ease.

GL-P

Reaction score
Makes sense. A scientific research paper forum probably wouldn't get a lot of use on its own...

KermieD

Reaction score
It could also include things like aerodynamics, physics and the like. It wouldn't have to be just a repository of scientific papers, etc.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
For what it's worth I'd like to once again chime in on this one. I am a stong believer that the TRF community would benefit from a place to put seriously advanced discussions.

Yes, the KISS principle is always the best place to start a design from, however the TRF community has grown so much that I want to encourage the owners of the forum to revisit this.

As I've posted elsewhere, the concept of shoehorning a thread in somewhere because it can fit, may not be the best way to do things.

While some of the stuff in the CoffeeHouse can be lighthearted, bordering on silly sometimes, It also provides a wonderful function in the form of a community center.

My concern is that there are subjects that span multiple existing forums and right now get lost in the CH or are just not well categorized.

I would like to float the idea, once again, that if keeping the main level simple is a prime concern, please think about merging contests and events. Then you have an open slot for a Rocket Science forum.

Thanx

A

KermieD

Reaction score
It could also include things like aerodynamics, physics and the like. It wouldn't have to be just a repository of scientific papers, etc if it were implemented. Advanced Rocketry isn't completely off the table, guys. Be patient with us. :)

GL-P

Reaction score
I agree with the idea to combine contests and events. Sounds like a good idea!

I'm willing to be patient!

Thanks for the consideration in light of some of the "burn the mods" threads so to speak.

Thanks KermieD!

mike_bar

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
For what it's worth I'd like to once again chime in on this one. I am a stong believer that the TRF community would benefit from a place to put seriously advanced discussions.
OK, I think I am starting to get it now.

You mean here is actually useful rocketry information in The Coffee House?

I assumed it was an off-topic, miscellaneous forum. You know, posts like: “Let’s go trick-or-treating, or Here’s my favorite poll.” With this conjecture, I never bothered to read The Coffee House. Do you mean there is actually useful information in here? I wonder what I missed because of my ignorance.

In all seriousness, I really thought The Coffee House was for non-rocketry posts. I re-read the description on the Home page, and I realize it is doing double duty.
The Coffee House
Discussion of off-topic areas. This can be anything that is rockets and does not fit well into other forums and anything that is not rockets.
I agree with Al, advanced topics should be allowed, but I can see the other side that they can be posted in existing groups.

This may be a dumb idea (one of many), but how about a miscellaneous rocketry forum and another, truly, off-topic miscellaneous forum. You can give them any cute name you wish.
  1. The Tea House and The Coffee House.
  2. Off Topic Ramblings and Real Rocket Stuff
  3. Silly Stuff and Advanced Stuff. [/list=1] You guys and gals hash it out. Just remember, this newbie told you he was confused for the past eight months (nothing new here).

Respectfully,
    Michael O’Malley

illini

Reaction score
GL-P: I sent you a reply to your PM, but it said your mailbox was full and you needed to clean it out. Either send me another PM once you've done that, or send me something at my regular e-mail and I'll reply to that.

Sorry to everyone else for the "off-topic" post.

Never mind...looks like you have a new sandbox to play in (see below)!

KermieD

Reaction score
And Poof! There's an Advanced Topics forum!!!

KermieD

Reaction score
Yeah, but don't forget that, no matter what the forum there now shows, yours truly was the first to track dirt in there. Carl and Jase decided they didn't like it and yanked my "First!!!" thread. They were just jealous. :)

GL-P

Reaction score
Wow! I just got on to TRF and poof! There was one more forum!

I'll have to brush up on some of my physics!