Adobe Reader problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darian Rachal

Reaction score
I have Adobe Reader 6.0 installed on my computer. For some reason I am unable to open pdf files. This seems to be a problem that must have developed sometime earlier this year. When I attempt to open a file the Reader logo comes up & then a blank gray window, with a blue strip across the top, opens up and obscures most of the logo. It has no title & only an X to close it. When closed, a nonfunctional Reader window opens, but the file never downloads.

When I close this window I get a message that an illegal operation has been performed, etc.. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling 6.0. The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling it w/o the installation Wizard, but it's hard for me to imagine that being the problem. Any suggestions? :confused:

darian:
I installed/updated my adobe reader to 6.0 on 2 different computer using 2 different OSes: winxprosp1 and win2kprosp4..on both the reader stopped working correctly after the upgrade to 6.0... luckily on winxprosp1 I was able to return to my previous version by using system restore...

if you are running another OS, you may have to uninstall 6 and reinstall the previous version if you still have it downloaded somewhere.... I did that on the win2kprosp4 one...

I encountered the same problem on my WinME system. The new Reader doesn't support WinME, so the only thing I could do was uninstall the 6.0 and redownload and install the old version.

WW

I thought it was my computer.

The Adobe 6.0 update works fine on my XP Pro desktop and my NT Pro laptop, but bombs on my 98 SE desktop. If been trying to rationalize this one for 2 months.

Thanks.

Bob Krech

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
if you are running another OS, you may have to uninstall 6 and reinstall the previous version if you still have it downloaded somewhere.... I did that on the win2kprosp4 one...

The Adobe site has an archive of earlier versions of the Reader. I uninstalled 6.01 & reinstalled 5.1. Everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for everyone's help. :)

Back