Adjustable Launch Tower Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnp

Reaction score
This is my first build thread, so go easy on me ;)

I've flown a few minimum diameter rockets in the past, and I typically prefer to build them with four fins. However, one issue I've ran into with four-finned rockets is with regards to launch equipment. Every time I fly one, I have to use fly-away rail guides since the clubs I fly at only have launch towers for three-finned rockets. I love the idea of the rail guides, but they seem to break after hitting the ground on every flight, and buying new guides for every flight is not sustainable.

I decided on a few requirements to design my tower around:

(I'm aware that Chris Attebery's towers fulfill all the requirements stated below, but I thought it would be more fun to do it myself)
  • Have the ability to be fabricated and assembled without welding equipment.
  • Rails need to be interchangeable to allow for rockets that may need more rail length.
  • Tower has to be adjustable to accept rockets from 38-75mm in diameter.
With all this in mind, I opened up Inventor, and got to work. Here's what I came up with.

Top-down view of the tower.

46651778312_f1170af284_h.jpg

Detail view of the top of the tower.

32829615488_cb9f97114d_h.jpg

Detail view of the bottom of the tower.

46704506551_6ae662ef3d_h.jpg

The tower consists of two 3/8 thick 6061-T6 plates, with four groups of holes spaced 90° apart around the circumference. The holes are countersunk to allow the 1/4-20 bolts to fit flush against the plate. Each of the four vertical rails have a short, perpendicular section of rail at each end, held on by an angle bracket. These legs allow the rails to be fixed to the plates, and the tower to be adjusted.

With the design finished, I contacted a local fabrication shop, and got the plates cut on a waterjet. The cuts are remarkably clean, though you can definitely tell where the stream of water started to disperse before coming through the bottom of the plate. I suspect they were cutting with pure water, without additional abrasives

31763118327_c168681e14_h.jpg

As expected, the stock wasn't exactly 3/8, but certainly close enough for my purposes. Notice the imperfections on the edges from the stream of water starting to disperse.

46704504461_628135c51c_h.jpg

My father is a machinist, so he helped me do the countersinks on a vertical milling machine at his work place.

31763118837_a90621b8fe_h.jpg

The bolts fit perfectly!

46651776542_b145b0d15a_h.jpg

That's all for now, but I'll have more updates and photos in the coming days!

David

Way cool. Would you take a fee for the file for others to cut their own?

Way cool. Would you take a fee for the file for others to cut their own?

Thank you! Attached is the PDF file for the plates (TRF wouldn't let me to attach a DXF).

David

Attachments

• TowerPlate.pdf
    64.9 KB · Views: 114
The tower consists of two 3/8 thick 6061-T6 plates, with four groups of holes spaced 90° apart around

Very cool. How long are your rails and the legs? (Assume they are 1010 rail sections.)

You have those hex bolts going thru the counter sunk holes in the rings, but what are they going into? Is there a nut in the rail sections slot that the bolt is connecting to when you tighten them? How long are the bolts?

This is my first build thread, so go easy on me ;)

I've flown a few minimum diameter rockets in the past, and I typically prefer to build them with four fins. However, one issue I've ran into with four-finned rockets is with regards to launch equipment. Every time I fly one, I have to use fly-away rail guides since the clubs I fly at only have launch towers for three-finned rockets. I love the idea of the rail guides, but they seem to break after hitting the ground on every flight, and buying new guides for every flight is not sustainable.

I decided on a few requirements to design my tower around:

(I'm aware that Chris Attebery's towers fulfill all the requirements stated below, but I thought it would be more fun to do it myself)
  • Have the ability to be fabricated and assembled without welding equipment.
  • Rails need to be interchangeable to allow for rockets that may need more rail length.
  • Tower has to be adjustable to accept rockets from 38-75mm in diameter.
With all this in mind, I opened up Inventor, and got to work. Here's what I came up with.

Top-down view of the tower.

46651778312_f1170af284_h.jpg

Detail view of the top of the tower.

32829615488_cb9f97114d_h.jpg

Detail view of the bottom of the tower.

46704506551_6ae662ef3d_h.jpg

The tower consists of two 3/8 thick 6061-T6 plates, with four groups of holes spaced 90° apart around the circumference. The holes are countersunk to allow the 1/4-20 bolts to fit flush against the plate. Each of the four vertical rails have a short, perpendicular section of rail at each end, held on by an angle bracket. These legs allow the rails to be fixed to the plates, and the tower to be adjusted.

With the design finished, I contacted a local fabrication shop, and got the plates cut on a waterjet. The cuts are remarkably clean, though you can definitely tell where the stream of water started to disperse before coming through the bottom of the plate. I suspect they were cutting with pure water, without additional abrasives

31763118327_c168681e14_h.jpg

As expected, the stock wasn't exactly 3/8, but certainly close enough for my purposes. Notice the imperfections on the edges from the stream of water starting to disperse.

46704504461_628135c51c_h.jpg

My father is a machinist, so he helped me do the countersinks on a vertical milling machine at his work place.

31763118837_a90621b8fe_h.jpg

The bolts fit perfectly!

46651776542_b145b0d15a_h.jpg

That's all for now, but I'll have more updates and photos in the coming days!

David
Wow! What happened to the rest of the material these plates were cut out from?

Back