adhesive mylar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothique_97

Reaction score
This is going to seen like a painfully obvious question to some, and I'll explain briefly why I ask this below: Who sells adhesive mylar sheets these days? I used to get them from Model Aviation Fuels in 6 x 24 inch sheets back in the day, and went through ALOT of them making my own lettering for rockets. Suffice it to say, Model Aviation Fuels, aka AAA, has gone out of business since my last order from them [in 1993]. Is it something I can get at a decent hobby shop or craft store, or should I start shopping around online?

Is that the same stuff as Monocote or Ultracote? If so, I saw some adhesive strips of that stuff at our local hobby shop. That should work for what you described.

You know, Estes supplies 2 sheets of adhesive mylar with their Mercury Atlas. Though it is discontinued, you may ask them about an alternate source. It was .005 thickness

I use
https://www.ecbensonassociates.com/products/styleplus/tapes.html

They have adhesive mylar in up to 3" widths and some sheet goods. cheap too. A 100' roll is like $6 bucks. As an alternative, you can find silver (aluminized) mylar in garden supply stores (yep, professional gardening people use it to control light). Cut it to size (or cut out your design), spray with 3M spray adhesive or spray photo adhesive and place that on your item.

If you can't find any, do a search on "aluminized mylar" on google. The first 4 pages or so contain some links to places I have used before. Aaron Brothers has it but it's a huge ripoff at like $12 bucks a sheet.

I'm probably a day late and a dollar short but I hope that helps.

Marc

Woh, that is a great link. They even have prism paper... very cool. Now to go key in some numbers into RockSim to see if I can buy the 1"x100' Mylar strips and use them for streamers. Thanks Marc.

Why is it everyone sells 3" Mylar tape but only 1" Mylar strips? It's a conspiracy I tell you... I'm looking for a 3"x72" fire red Mylar strip. I did the search on Google and everything. No can find... :(

Hey Phil.

Well I tell ya. I DO have this little secret place I can point you to. They carry aluminized mylar in wider rolls than 3" BUT (there's always a but) they only carry it in silver. If you don't mind that, they carry it in rolls that are 27" wide in lengths from 12' to 100'. The place is called Grafix Plastics. Their brand of mylar is called "dura-lar". Here's the link:

https://www.grafixplastics.com/duralarstock.html

Good luck. PS, if you need red, purple, etc mylar in 18" x 30" sheets, I got the place too. It's called Retail Details in NY. They come 10 sheets in a pkg. I use em for parachutes. It's the perfect .005 thickness and comes in red, purple, gold, silver, etc. Here's the best. It's $2.00 a package!!! (SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH). The catch is they are discontinuing it so order quick. Here's the link:

https://www.retaildetailsinc.com/products.asp?page=26

Marc

Back