Adhesion question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a scaled kit and one of pieces is a engine mount tube that needs to be glued to the airframe. After pulling the template back off after cutting the piece, I noticed the top layer of glassine wanted to come off so I figured I might as well remove it. No big deal it is just a cosmetic thing and after sanding it, the piece looked better than it did. I did notice the edges (other layers) were coming apart a little so to preserve them I went ahead and sanded them and applied a thin coat of thin CA, but these edges will be glued to the airframe. Can I still use wood glue to secure them or is that no longer an option and now I have to use epoxy because the CA won't allow a secure bond with wood glue? I knew this going in, but didn't want to take a chance of the piece coming apart anymore since I removed the top layer of glassine. The edges of the piece will be sanded more to conform to the shape of the airframe to eliminate any gaps between the two surfaces.

I agree with lakeroadster. I only suspect wood glue won't adhere to the CA treated tube, but I see no point in chancing it when you and I are both comfortably sure epoxy will.

Last edited:
Back