3D Printing Adhesion problem in Cura

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I downloaded a Mosquito STL from thingiverse last night for fun. No matter what I try, the gcode I export from Cura is only putting adhesion on two of the three fin locations. When it starts printing the fins, the third is just released in space with nothing underneath. Any idea on what I could be doing wrong?

Here's the STL link:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:724376/comments

To get this to print successfully, I needed a wide brim to make connect with the bed for each fin and supports for the tube.

I think I used a 5mm brim and standard support just with the bed.

Interesting. The brim or adhesion that Cura generates seems to work fine on the two fins but is totally non existent on the third. Can you point me in the right direction for generating a wider brim? I'm a little ignorant on all this. Only got the printer running a couple of days ago and still feeling my way around all the pieces to the puzzle.

I am using standard CURA that came with my Ender 5. I am not at home right now, but if I remember correctly you can go into advanced setting, then expert and then changgge the size of the brim.

Sounds good. I accidentally clogged the extruder nozzle so it's grounded until I get that fixed. Slic3r fixed the issue with not printing any adhesion on one fin, but I forgot to enable supports so that was still a problem later in the print. Progress...

Slic3r with supports enabled seems to be working. I still need to do some calibration on the printer to get the quality up, but it's adequate as is. I also need to get a roll of ABS or PETG for rocket parts in general...

IMG_20200225_105537.jpg

Looking at the thingiverse STL file, it looks like one fin doesn't touch the workplane. I -think- Cura has an option to drop and rotate to make an object sit flat-ter.

The issue is probably a issue with the STL. Ome of the fins are just hair short from contact. Also rounded contacts are extremely hard to get proper adhesion. For prints like that, I would add supports and a extra wide brim. The entire print structure above will be dependant on those tiny round contact points

Back