• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Adept RAS2 recording altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5x7

Reaction score
I have a rocket, Beater, that will be flying its 100th flight soon, possibly next month or at Red Glare. On its first flight in 1995 at RATS it used an Adept RAS2 altimeter which was lost in another rocket 10 years later. I was hoping to have one on board for its 100th flight. Does anyone have one they would be willing to sell at a reasonable price? I would be willing to consider ones that are not working, as long as they appear to be repairable. Please PM if you can help, thanks!

beater.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, just going for nostalgia. The RAS2 is a recording altimeter with dual deployment. I remember pouring over Adept catalog #2 for months before deciding it would be 'the one'.

Eventually it was used in five rockets and moved around as needed until it was lost. It had over 30 flights on it :(

The RAS2 was the go to altimeter for the big L3's back then...
I have it's bigger brother: the OBC2-50k
It has no memory chip and I doubt that you can even boot it up.
I flew it about 4 times before it had some water issues.
Back then everything was DOS.... even more fun ;)

JD

Yup, just going for nostalgia. The RAS2 is a recording altimeter with dual deployment. I remember pouring over Adept catalog #2 for months before deciding it would be 'the one'.

Eventually it was used in five rockets and moved around as needed until it was lost. It had over 30 flights on it :(

The RAS2 was the go to altimeter for the big L3's back then...
I have it's bigger brother: the OBC2-50k
It has no memory chip and I doubt that you can even boot it up.
I flew it about 4 times before it had some water issues.
Back then everything was DOS.... even more fun ;)

JD

I still have a pc I used to download from the RAS2. Justin had the OBC2, It was a lot bigger, more expensive, the Cadilac of rocketry electronics. I was happy just to DL the data, I will never forget how exiting it was to hear that buzzing sound as the data transferred. I still have 3 memory modules, so if I can unearth an RAS2 I can use it. I should post to the TRA list too.

What are "water issues"? The river ar METRA?

I have a functional one, also memory modules and wires. I also have connectors that I put on the ematch wires to plug onto the output header.

I am pretty sure I have one in my flight box, it may be a 50k unit. I'll check when I get home SR .

Latest posts

Back