Additive Aerospace 38mm Fin Can Supersonic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a project--and hoping to fly it at Bama Blastoff II in October. I'm trying to build a mach-capable rocket using a carbon fiber airframe, and a 3-D printed 38mm fin can from Additive Aerospace. My experience with 3-D printed components is limited to low power flights.

If it performs as expected by simulation, the rocket should reach speeds of about 1.3 mach (997 mph) briefly. Will the fin can be able to withstand this speed? Any concerns about heating? Anyone else have experience with 3-D printed materials at supersonic speeds?

The 3-D fin can is available at:
https://www.additiveaerospace.com/collections/fincans

I’ve used SLS nylon up to Mach 1.69. Enter at own risk.

Cans have been tested past M1.4, and that was before we upgraded to PET which has a better heat tolerance. Just epoxy the transition where the can meets the airframe and all will be well.

Thanks to both respondents. Should have reached out to Additive Aerospace directly first--but possibly this will help others. The light weight fin can is perfect for this project. Can't wait to try it out. 38mm minimum-diameter rocket. Now if Jolly Logic would hurry up with there new 1/2 sized JLCR, I'd be completely set!

Now that the thread is open, I've sold quite a few of these for some very fast projects and haven't heard the results.

Any uses out there care to chime in with their max speed?

Back