adding to the electronics arsenal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard people talk about more reliable/tougher bands? Hair bands (no pun intended) anyone that has used them have any specifics? Thx!
I only use hair bands now. The rubber bands wear out quickly and if you don't inspect them, you'll likely get an apogee deployment at some point. The rubber can also grab the chute and it can fail to deploy. The hair bands are solid. I use one band for small chutes and combine two for large chutes.

Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DFSHD5O?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

One pack will last a long time...
710Y4zIaA0L._SX679_.jpg

I've gone to silicone rubber bands. Got an assorted pack off of amazon. I can stretch them to their limit with a reasonable amount of force and they don't feel like they're about to break like a rubber band. Grippy where it counts but still slides against itself which makes pulling it into a loop around the JLCR and release pin is easy. Should be more heat tolerant too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084Y7R9H9 Also good for little things like holding the chute together after folding and before JLCR installation, or to strap igniter to rocket.

I like the fabric covered hairbands. I only fly "I" and below, but with the extra JLCR pins, I can have small hairbands and large ones. The small ones can be "ganged" for an intermediate. Messed up a couple of months ago when I used the large one normally for a 54" parachute on a 36". All was well, but it was better than when I had a rubber band break on a "G" motor flight that ended up in a tree.

Chas

I like the fabric covered hairbands. I only fly "I" and below, but with the extra JLCR pins, I can have small hairbands and large ones. The small ones can be "ganged" for an intermediate. Messed up a couple of months ago when I used the large one normally for a 54" parachute on a 36". All was well, but it was better than when I had a rubber band break on a "G" motor flight that ended up in a tree.

Chas
I concur. The hairbands are designed to be non-grabbing, which you want for the JLCR.

I am DONE with jlcr for big rockets. Does it work? Sometimes. The success rate reminds me of a PML piston.

1 for 1 is 100% so that does not mean much by itself.

Probably my first dozen big flights went well. Then the gremlins crept in, the snapped bands, the stray shroud line pulling the wrong way, the band compressing onto the fabric itself.. plus when you break a band and the stupid thing deploys then the f%@*|n pin goes loose at altitude so you get to replace that part too - uhg

Every time I wrapped one of those rubber bands around a big parachute, it felt like, why am i using this toy on a serious flight. Sure the glitches I name are largely preventable, but at this point, it seems like making another charge and screwing in a few shear pins is less work than replacing rubber bands and packing, packing, packing over and over again.

1 for 1 is 100% so that does not mean much by itself.

Probably my first dozen big flights went well. Then the gremlins crept in, the snapped bands, the stray shroud line pulling the wrong way, the band compressing onto the fabric itself.. plus when you break a band and the stupid thing deploys then the f%@*|n pin goes loose at altitude so you get to replace that part too - uhg

Every time I wrapped one of those rubber bands around a big parachute, it felt like, why am i using this toy on a serious flight. Sure the glitches I name are largely preventable, but at this point, it seems like making another charge and screwing in a few shear pins is less work than replacing rubber bands and packing, packing, packing over and over again.
More than 1 flight, thanks.

100% success rate here.

You have 100% success until you don’t. My personal experience as a prefect is that the JL has a higher failure rate than standard dual deployment. That being said, all rockets have an inherent risk of failure.

Man, you guys just love tearing down somebody when they have success! Fine, they suck and you shouldn't use them. Is that a better answer?

When the parachute gets out of the tube, I've had a 100% success rate with the JLCR using the stock rubber bands. I know some have had different experiences but I love it.

I take time to make sure i have a proper chute selected for a given flight, make sure its folded properly (gores and lines z'd in) I cornstarch my chutes. I will try some different bands and test.

Personally, i am excited about trying it and people in my club love it. I still plan on using a small drouge on the nosecone to keep it above the laundry, which I have heard is key.

Jolly logic has different bands in their parts kit. They are silicone I believe?

You have 100% success until you don’t. My personal experience as a prefect is that the JL has a higher failure rate than standard dual deployment. That being said, all rockets have an inherent risk of failure.
That's a fair conclusion based on your empirical evidence gathered. I've drawn a similar conclusion myself. Hoping that conclusion does not constitute tearing down someone who has success with said unit. :headspinning:

I think the experience and skill of the users might have something to do with that (but no data): more experienced users might be more likely to use DD, while less experienced users might tend toward the easy JLCR and be more likely to make mistakes. What do you think?

I think the experience and skill of the users might have something to do with that (but no data): more experienced users might be more likely to use DD, while less experienced users might tend toward the easy JLCR and be more likely to make mistakes. What do you think?
I personally am experienced with DD. Knock on wood, I have never had an issue other than something minor that did not interfere with a successful recovery. I am going to try the JLCR because its a hobby and i enjoy trying new things. I will be using it on smaller rockets like 3" and light kits.

If all goes well it will be a cool addition to my toolbox. Anything above 3", heavy rockets or out of sight flights i will still utilize DD methods.

Proper preperation, simulation and testing is key to any successful flight. People should keep that in mind.

Looks like a great product and im anxious to try this new tool.

I think a lot of it has to do with experience. I have 100% success also. I cannot say the same with dual deployment but all of my failures were a learning experience.

I do not want anyone to interpret my response as being derogatory of the JLCR. It is a great tool. I do not think of it as a good sole tool for large heavy rockets. I would prefer a little more redundancy with those flights. I could see using it with an altimeter and dual deployment as some sort of back up.

I use it when dd isn't an option on a particular rocket and I don't want to walk a mile. Love DD so much better, but a couple of my rockets aren't set up for it so I use the jocr. Well over 20 mid and high power flights with mine.

I use it when dd isn't an option on a particular rocket and I don't want to walk a mile. Love DD so much better, but a couple of my rockets aren't set up for it so I use the jocr. Well over 20 mid and high power flights with mine.
I've actually used a JLCR in conjunction with DD. I set the JLCR to about 100' above my mains deployment point. It was helpful when I had a real b**ch of a rocket that kept deploying the main recovery at apogee (around 10K). Once I figured out what was wrong, I no longer needed it.

Back