adding a washer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
I hope I am making sense here:
The current (newer) delays in Aerotech single use DMS motors are 14. The Aerotech drilling tool allows for drilling in only 2, 4, 6 ane 8 seconds depending on which end and whether or not the washer is used. If I had another washer only half the thickness of the washer provided with the drilling tool or a washer 50% thicker, would that not allow for 1 sec extra drilling which would allow odd second drilling like 1, 3, 5 and 7 seconds?

Why???

What if my simulations tell me an 8 sec delay may be just a bit too early but a 10 second delay obviously too long. If I could drill down to 9 seconds, the delay time is better. At least addording to my simulations.

I might be willing to pay for professional machining of 1 second thicker and/or thinner washers. Maybe Aerotech could maybe provide it???

Yes, I do exactly that. I used a piece of 1/32 inch (0.031") thick G10 (epoxy glass) board and drill a hole for the delay bit and then cut it into t a circle. Now I have 1 second delay intervals.

A piece of 1/32 aluminum or other material will also work.

Being 1 second off from 'ideal' only changes peak altitude by 16', so most people forgo that level of accuracy. But, I see no reason it wouldn't work.
Keep in mind that the accuracy of the delay is only certified to within 20% (which would be 1.6s for an 8s delay) and the impulse (which would affect the delay time needed) has similar variation in accuracy, and your simulation is probably off by a bit too. So dialing in super-accurate delays may be an exercise in futility.

I've read that "exercise in futility" line before, and I don't buy it. I know about the variance, but the closer I am to the ideal delay, the less likely variance will hurt me. If apogee is at 9s and my 9s delay runs 20% long, that's 2 seconds after apogee. If my 10 second delay runs 2 seconds long, that's three seconds after apogee. Seems like it could be the difference between a zipper and no zipper.

It also costs almost nothing to make a washer from an expired CC and use that to drill the delay a little less.

Normal variation in delay times is far more than 2 seconds. If your recovery system can't withstand 2-3 seconds from optimum, you have a problem. What happens if the flight isn't straight up and the rocket never gets below 100 ft/sec? Drilling within a couple seconds is plenty good enough.

Normal variation in delay times is far more than 2 seconds. If your recovery system can't withstand 2-3 seconds from optimum, you have a problem. What happens if the flight isn't straight up and the rocket never gets below 100 ft/sec? Drilling within a couple seconds is plenty good enough.
This. Run OR or Rocksim on a typical model with, say, a given motor, and find the optimum delay time. Run again but with one second shorter, and yet again, one second longer. The velocity at deployment isn't a problem for any of the three runs. The rocket slows down a lot near apogee, and it takes a little while to speed up past apogee.

You don't need any fancy washer or for that matter the delay tool. Just drill your hole to the depth you want taking into account 1/32nd is minus 1 second. A tire tread depth gauge will work or any other measuring tool graduated in 32nds of an inch

Back