Adam Savage's Favorite Tools: Optical Center Punch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed ! Have one for years, it’s great
Even better if you hold a magnifying glass over it as you center it.
the dot or crosshairs show up much better.
Then use a spot or centering drill bit to start the hole. Then your drill bit / hole will work better.

I prefer a hammer, preferably a big one.... if it doesn't work I get a bigger one & if that doesn't work it must have been z electrical problem....

seriously, cool but I don't know how useful of a tool

I prefer a hammer, preferably a big one.... if it doesn't work I get a bigger one & if that doesn't work it must have been z electrical problem....

seriously, cool but I don't know how useful of a tool
extremely useful. wont know until you have one. Even if you just have the occasional need. This tool and a spot/center drill bit or 5 will make your drill press or even hand drill thank you.
Center drills:
https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-044-100

I suspect the optical center punch will be really good when locating holes for small diameter screws accurately. If you don't have a milling machine (I do :p) this has the capability to get hole locations really accurate.

heck even with a Mill, if one elects to use the optical punch, it is one more "sanity check" lol, esp true if one does not have DRO. and good old cheap krap Chinese machines where backlash is a designed in "feature" grrrriizzllly.

I hate my mill. used to have an PM45. Now a Grizzly mill and and Grizzly lathe. Both sux compared to my previous PM45 and Enco 14x40.
Grizzly mill's base is a POS. and the Y axis is not smooth. I detest the idea that I need to to take it all apart to make it "right" because I am not a Mill repair person, nor should I need to be. I am done with Grizzly.
The Lathe...one of the much exclaimed "gunsmith" versions leaks oil in two places. and the fit and finish are less than the Enco. I honesty hate myself for buying them. thankfully I am getting to old to care anymore...

But lol, the optical center punch is good.

Last edited:
Aw, it's just us engineers. Sick of pushing a mouse around all day, we sometimes get the hairbrained urge to actually make something and the even more hairbrained thought that we actually could! Machine tools make us drool...
Totally agree. I am an electronic engineer by profession but love working in the mechanical domain. Dad was a chief mech eng at a large printing factory so I guess that is where that comes from. Generally don't do much electronics at home if I can help it because that is my day job.

Back