Acrylic spray paints?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyDiamond

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Please help a noob out…are acrylic spray paints a no-no? And why? I’ve got a lot of acrylic from painting minis but everyone on here always talks about lacquer and enamel. What gives?

Also, should I be using a clearcoat/sealant? What kind? And if using acrylic, wouldn’t this step mitigate any big downfall to it?

Thanks

Last edited:
Acrylic spray is perfectly fine. Just cover it with a suitable clear (preferably the same brand).

There are a ton of different formulations out there for paint. Acrylic is just another. I've painted plenty of rockets with acrylic craft paint (Apple Barrell) and clearcoated with Future Floor Wax (acrylic clear) and they've lasted as long as any other. In fact, I'm still flying several of those 10yr old+ rockets today.

Many will say the enamel and lacquer are "harder" paints. Meaning the finish will be more durable. I don't know that to be true. There are "acrylic lacquers" out there that work just fine and finding straight lacquer will be a bit more difficult due to the VOCs and global warming.

The one thing most will tell you is to be careful on mixing formulations of paint. "Don't put enamel over acrylic" and "lacquer over enamel will lift it off" and so one. Modern paints are pretty good but the best advice for painting is stick with one. That is one brand and one type. I use Tamiya acrylics with Future Floor Wax as a clear coat. All of it can be thinned with water or alcohol. The Future is rock hard after it dries. Several coats will protect the finish in most cases...

I use…Future Floor Wax as a clear coat. All of it can be thinned with water or alcohol. The Future is rock hard after it dries. Several coats will protect the finish in most cases...

Bravo52 - do you airbrush your thinned Future or brush it?

Mostly airbrush. Occasional brush but only full strength after the paint has cured. I can lift the base coat if too heavy handed.

Hey Fellas,

Please help a noob out…are acrylic spray paints a no-no? And why? I’ve got a lot of acrylic from painting minis but everyone on here always talks about lacquer and enamel. What gives?

Also, should I be using a clearcoat/sealant? What kind? And if using acrylic, wouldn’t this step mitigate any big downfall to it?

Thanks
It is essential that you varnish your completed acrylic paintings. The varnish will protect the painting from dust, UV rays and yellowing.

Three brands of acrylic polymer sealant that I would recommend are: Golden Polymer Varnish, Liquitex Acrylic Polymer Varnish, and Lascaux UV Varnish.

Montana paints are acrylic lacquer and they have some varnishes to go with their lines, plus they're weatherproof in terms of when to paint. I've painted in 20F and in 90F with 60% humidity and no difference in terms of drying time.

hey, I have noticed the main difference between enamel and acrylic paint while doing the recent project. The difference is that enamel paint is mainly oil-based, and acrylic paint is water-based. Enamel paint tends to turn yellow over time in indoor areas where there is not enough sunlight. Acrylic paint doesn't turn yellow over time. Acrylic paint dries faster than enamel. And the important part is thinning acrylic paint for spraying which I have learned from so many resources. So that's why shared my opinion.

Back