Quantcast

Acrylic Paint Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

KHamel

Reaction score
Is there a special primer that should be used for acrylic paints?

Can acrylic paints be used over rattle can enamels like Rustoleum? I know there is a paint compatibility grid somewhere.

Thanks.

Keith

FlyBack

Reaction score
Can acrylic paints be used over rattle can enamels like Rustoleum? I know there is a paint compatibility grid somewhere.
Just remember LEA... Lacquer - Enamel - Acyrlic.
Laquer can cover lacquer. Enamel can go over lacquer or other enamels. Acyrlic can go over lacquer, enamel or other acrylics. However, with spray cans it's the propellants that can cause the most problems. Bottom line... always test on a surface that is prepared identically to the part to be painted.

Oh, and never, never, ever experiment with a new type of clear coat on a finished model the night before a contest (don't ask me how I know this).

Regards,

FlyBack

Last edited:

Pat_B

Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be an acrylic primer. I use acrylics over Krylon or Rustoleum primer. However, some of the thicker acrylic paints can pracitcally be used as their own primer. I've just started using some of the jar based Liquetex paints and the white is pretty darn opaque. I can spray that on and let it dry overnight. Another coat of white the next works out just perfect with no show through- or any other color can then be sprayed on top of it.

That's a nice acronym for remembering compatibility, but in my mind I would tend to think of the letters in a different order like this-

A
E
L

that show graphically which ones can be applied OVER the other ones.

KHamel

Reaction score
Thanks...I appreciate the help.

This is the kind of info I would have searched for on the original TRF. :)

Stymye

Reaction score
acrylics can go over pretty much anything

Iceman1979

Reaction score
I can now attest to that. I put down rustolium rattle can primer and sprayed acrylic paint over it with much success.