Acme conformal rail guide question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Reaction score
I'm building a Madcow 4" fiberglass DX3 XL. I would like to use Acme conformal rail guides from Giant Leap Rocketry but the closest they have is one made for their 3.9" phenolic tubes. Has anyone tried using a 3.9" Acme conformal rail guide on a 4" tube? Does it fit okay? I'm thinking that only the edges would touch the 4" airframe tube instead of perfectly conforming to the shape. But not sure if it would still be okay when attached with epoxy.

I'm building a Madcow 4" fiberglass DX3 XL. I would like to use Acme conformal rail guides from Giant Leap Rocketry but the closest they have is one made for their 3.9" phenolic tubes. Has anyone tried using a 3.9" Acme conformal rail guide on a 4" tube? Does it fit okay? I'm thinking that only the edges would touch the 4" airframe tube instead of perfectly conforming to the shape. But not sure if it would still be okay when attached with epoxy.

I've used 3.9 Acme conformals on both 'glassed and unglassed 3.9" Loc tubes, as well as 'glassed 4" PML phenolic, all without problems. I've also used the the 3" ones on a variety of 3.0/ 3.1" tubes (eg PML phenolic wrapped in carbon fibre, Loc tube wrapped in fibreglass) again, no problem. There seems to be a degree of tolerance. I use a liberal amount of JB Weld to attach, and fillet well.

Back