Accolades for New Way

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Caswell

Reaction score
I'm only on my second New Way build, but I've been having great fun with these kits (more than I expected!) and am REALLY looking forward to the release of the USS Element... whenever that happens.

This is build #2 for me and is ready to catch some air this weekend! This is the Silent Knight - another of my birthday kits from my awesome wife. I didn't go with the "mfgr recommended" finish, which was matte black with glossy markings. Instead I used a base coat of Tamiya Gun Metal and used the decals from the New Way "N-21 Sky Fighter" to try and achieve a kind of stealth cruise missile vibe. (Note: I made my own decals for the N-21, so I had these leftover) I did the black band with some Monokote trim sheet.

Another really fun build! I described it to a friend as "what if a B-2 and the Washington Monument had a baby". I really dig the New Way kits.... and the whole "Square Force" thing is a hoot.SK2.jpgSK4.jpgSK3.jpgSK1.jpg

And here's my "N-21 Sky Fighter". I went with an overall gray, but used my own custom decals. For most of the lettering I used the kit decal imagery (scanned), but went with a medium gray instead of black. This still needs a clear coat of Future/Pledge to secure the decals and even out the finish.

NOTE: I redesigned the kill marks into circles instead of plane silhouettes, as it makes sense that the circles are the enemies of the squares ;)

n21-1.jpgn21-2.jpg

Last edited:
I like his stuff as well. I need a new skyrise. The sky gods ate it. I was sad.

I don't see where his website is working. What is the best way to get Newway birds? I need a few

Attachments

• skyrise 1.jpg
    skyrise 1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 19
You did a bang-up job filling the "Spirals" on the body tubes; how did you do it?

Thank you, I really liked this kit, so I spent the time. Being flat , at least it's easy to sand. Not perfect, but it looked good.

I used Durhams rock hard water putty to fill the spirals and do the heavy work. sanded it down and shot a coat of primer. I did the water putty on all the spots I missed, primed it one or two more times. I then used a stone gray paint and 3 separate days on all those decals. I LOVE how it turned out.

I used Durhams rock hard water putty to fill the spirals and do the heavy work. sanded it down and shot a coat of primer. I did the water putty on all the spots I missed,
I just found a can of that stuff that I bought ten or fifteen years ago and had never opened it up and forgot that it was nothing more than powder that you mix with water, so you have me thinking that I may use that on the Binder Diablo that I just ordered as I know that it has those GD spirals to fill. so is it easy to sand and what grit of paper did you use to smooth them out with?

I just found a can of that stuff that I bought ten or fifteen years ago and had never opened it up and forgot that it was nothing more than powder that you mix with water, so you have me thinking that I may use that on the Binder Diablo that I just ordered as I know that it has those GD spirals to fill. so is it easy to sand and what grit of paper did you use to smooth them out with?

very easy to sand, I usually go 150, and then 220 last time. I use that stuff for all kinds of projects.

Not really a kit guy (aside from a weakness for the Big Daddy and similar squat, pointy designs), but I nonetheless pine for the debut of the Saturn IV.
Oh yes, looking forward to the Saturn 4 and USS Element.

I really love the vibe of NewWay's line and I will vouch for Rick being a really nice guy. I have a scratch build design that I keep "mind-simming" and he said if he could help me out with the required square tubes, he would, though he is not yet offering parts or sqaure tube lengths - like you guys said, this is a family deal. One of these days I'll get around to design drawings and calcs and then see what the good man can come up with.

I am just finishing up my first NewWay build.
N21 Strike Fighter.
Super impressed by quality of the parts. I really appreciate the thoughtful addition of q tips and sandpaper. Kit also included an extra canopy and decal set , so now I can worry less about screwing one up.

Attachments

• 20211127_164942.jpg
    20211127_164942.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 6
I forgot to ask what do you use to apply it to the cardboard tubing to have the minimum amount of sanding involved?

I actually mix up a small glass bowl of putty and use an art knife to spread it around. As long as you clean up the bowl and knife before the putty sets its easy as can be. The thin art knife lets you spread the putty really thin when needed.art knife.jpg

Back