Accidentally Inhaled Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoitsma_86

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying I'm a moron.

I was putting a quick coat of paint on my newest bird, but it was cold outside so i had a space heater going in the garage with the door shut. I was probably in there painting for about 15 minutes including cleanup time, and I noticed later that night when I cleared my throat that my mucus was black (i was painting black). I wasn't wearing a mask. I figured since I was only going to be in there a short time it was no big deal. How worried should I be? The paint was Rustoleum Painter's Touch spray, if that means anything.

I was probably in there painting for about 15 minutes including cleanup time, and I noticed later that night when I cleared my throat that my mucus was black (i was painting black). ... How worried should I be?

Look on the back of the can - there are some instructions to follow in case of exposure, if you're worried.

You are going to D I E

OK, probably not from the paint, but we're all gonna go someday.

Yeah, I know, bad joke.

You will be fine. The most important thing would be: Did you learn not to do this again, at least on a regular basis? There is a reason that paint is sold in the hardware store and not in the grocery.

Hey, if I had not done my fair share of dumb things, I could laugh at you.

Good thing you weren't using high gloss automotive paint containing isocyanate. I know a guy who bought a newly painted airplane--the former owner painted it without the proper protection and died. :eek:

I've painted farm equipment with regular enamel paint and a gun and had both Ford blue and International red boogers later those afternoons... gets kinda nasty when the paint particles stick to your nosehairs and build up enough they get sticky. Blow your nose and all is well.

Yeah I know, wear a respirator, but when it's 100 degrees you'd rather just have the paint boogers...

Isocyanate hardener is some bad stuff... You DEFINITELY don't want to spray that without a respirator, and realistically, to be completely safe, you need an air supply respirator (like a SCUBA) not just a filtration respirator (filter cans). I don't mess with that stuff... I'd rather just repaint it again in a couple years when it starts looking raggedy... course farm stuff gets full sun, full rain, full heat, full cold and the paint don't last but a few years before it looks crappy anyway and needs a recoat, so why bother...

Later! OL JR :)

I'll start off by saying I'm a moron.

I was putting a quick coat of paint on my newest bird, but it was cold outside so i had a space heater going in the garage with the door shut. I was probably in there painting for about 15 minutes including cleanup time, and I noticed later that night when I cleared my throat that my mucus was black (i was painting black). I wasn't wearing a mask. I figured since I was only going to be in there a short time it was no big deal. How worried should I be? The paint was Rustoleum Painter's Touch spray, if that means anything.
Just remember to observe the proper recoat time as listed on the can.

:D

As long as your using spary can (Rattlecan) enamels, lacquers and most Acrylic paints I wouldn't worry to much about that short an exposure as Luke mentioned earlier...... keeping in mind, YOU REALLY Should be wearing a mask while spraying anything. Charcoal filtered respirartors are OK for these type paints and they are no where near as harmful as breathing in those isocynates from urethane or poly-urethane paints. Isocynates are clumative in the body, they go in, but DO NOT come out... building up over time and can kill as someone already mentioned. Supplied air respirators are the only way to fly applying those type paints.

One of the many reasons I try to steer folks away from home applications of most Automotive finishes as they are generally in these paint type catagories.

I do hope this short exposure shows you how very easy it is to expose yourselfs to potentially harmful materials without much warning at all;)

By the way; those particle "dust" masks really don't cut it even for spray can applications. Hope this helps a little.

Just let us all know when you grow that third arm. We all want to know how much time we have.

Seriously, don't worry about it. A one time exposure won't really hurt you. Just don't make a habit of it. The long term problems can be a real bi... bit... bitc... b..........:(

The paint was Rustoleum Painter's Touch spray, if that means anything.

At least your throat and nose won't rust up for a while.

cornyl

Just let us all know when you grow that third arm. We all want to know how much time we have.

Seriously, don't worry about it. A one time exposure won't really hurt you. Just don't make a habit of it. The long term problems can be a real bi... bit... bitc... b..........:(

:rolleyes: You wearing you safety harness while treading that tightrope? :D

I've been a painter for 25 years and it hasn't affected me,affected me,affected me...what were we talking about? Ted

And the first thing you did was run to the computer to tell us?

Latest posts

Back