Absurd rocket dreams

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooffle

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is about a literal dream I had while sleeping last night, between getting involved in social media controversy (yeah, I know I shouldn't) and working on various hobbies late into the night (mostly legos and some video games) my brain decided to lay down some fresh insanity mixed with rocketry. As with all dreams only the weirdest stuff sticks with you in bits and pieces but I will try to retell it...

Me and some highschool friends, but at our current age of 27, were in some non-descript shop/science lab working on a team science project. You probably know the place I'm talking about, a semi-separate place from the rest of the school, big 4x8 tables that feel like they belong to stonehenge. Anyway the project was a rocketplane that looked suspiciously like the one I built this summer (way to plagiarize real life, brain) and we were trying to figure out the best size launch lugs and rod to use. So far a normal enough dream.

We can't decide between the usual suspects of 1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 for a launch rod so of course we ask the teacher. He told us that we were looking at the problem entirely wrong told us that those we all too big. The right choice was not the typical rods or to upsize to rail but instead use MUSIC WIRE. At this point in the dream I was getting really confused, not because I knew better (dream me knew little of rockets, apparently) but because the dude was super convincing. My friends start doing what he's saying because they don't know any better. (none of them are into rocketry anyway so this part made sense I guess) Next he instructs us that for the straightest launch we need to cut the wire just a little longer than the rocket and GLUE it inside the lugs and position it so it over hangs the engine a bit. It doesn't matter if the lugs are too big, he says, just glue it. He then says when we are ready to launch we just stick the end of the music wire in the little hole on an Estes pad. I must have given him a wierd look at this point because he tries to assure me that even though the fit would seem really loose the flight will be perfect. Oh and blast shields just get in the way

End scene

I've had weirder dreams, I've had more surreal dreams. This one was just really down to earth in its stupidity.

Mine are super realistic and boring. I dream I've done something routine like laundry only to realize it was not done in the waking life when I run out of clean underwear.

On the bright side your dreams are reminders to do productive stuff.

I don't think I've ever had a rocket-related dream, which is a bit surprising now that I think about it. Maybe it's just that I get all my thinking about rockets out of the way while I'm awake. :headspinning:

This is about a literal dream I had while sleeping last night, between getting involved in social media controversy (yeah, I know I shouldn't) and working on various hobbies late into the night (mostly legos and some video games) my brain decided to lay down some fresh insanity mixed with rocketry. As with all dreams only the weirdest stuff sticks with you in bits and pieces but I will try to retell it...

Me and some highschool friends, but at our current age of 27, were in some non-descript shop/science lab working on a team science project. You probably know the place I'm talking about, a semi-separate place from the rest of the school, big 4x8 tables that feel like they belong to stonehenge. Anyway the project was a rocketplane that looked suspiciously like the one I built this summer (way to plagiarize real life, brain) and we were trying to figure out the best size launch lugs and rod to use. So far a normal enough dream.

We can't decide between the usual suspects of 1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 for a launch rod so of course we ask the teacher. He told us that we were looking at the problem entirely wrong told us that those we all too big. The right choice was not the typical rods or to upsize to rail but instead use MUSIC WIRE. At this point in the dream I was getting really confused, not because I knew better (dream me knew little of rockets, apparently) but because the dude was super convincing. My friends start doing what he's saying because they don't know any better. (none of them are into rocketry anyway so this part made sense I guess) Next he instructs us that for the straightest launch we need to cut the wire just a little longer than the rocket and GLUE it inside the lugs and position it so it over hangs the engine a bit. It doesn't matter if the lugs are too big, he says, just glue it. He then says when we are ready to launch we just stick the end of the music wire in the little hole on an Estes pad. I must have given him a wierd look at this point because he tries to assure me that even though the fit would seem really loose the flight will be perfect. Oh and blast shields just get in the way

End scene

I've had weirder dreams, I've had more surreal dreams. This one was just really down to earth in its stupidity.
Was the rocket flying MMX? That's what I use piano wire launch rods for...

End scene

There is a very real, documented phenomenon going on with respect to pandemic inspired dreams
Very weird, seeming very real and you can remember them more so than usual
I suspect you are participating in this phenomenon
I have had many, but the strangest are when .... we’ll never mind, I do not dare to write about it on a public forum, but I have related them to good friends!

That’s a weird dream.

My dreams are all absolutely bonkers when I remember them, which is not often. Usually there is a lot of traveling from place to place, like I’m on some kind of mission. Or sometimes the setting is constantly changing, even if I‘m not going anywhere. The cast of people in the dream is always changing. There typically is no coherent plot. I’ll be doing one thing one minute and something else the next. Sometimes I recognize they people in the dream, and sometimes I don’t. It’s total chaos.

My wife tells me about her dreams, and hers usually have some kind of consistent plot that actually moves forward in a semi-orderly way.

My most frequent dreams involve food, and somehow not getting to eat it. The most recent one involved me at a pig roast, and after waiting in a very long line, I reached the food and filled up a long brioche bun with pulled pork. But as I walked away someone knocked my plate over and my entire sandwich fell face down into the sand.

Last night I dream that an error was discovered in my undergraduate transcript. In a cascading series of events, my other degrees were nullified as well. So I had to back to school. On the first day as a repeat freshman, I couldn't find my class room. It turned out I had to trek through a swamp, tripping over muddy roots, wade through a rocky beach, and I finally found my class at the end of a long and isolated peninsula. But I was late.

On the first day as a repeat freshman, I couldn't find my class room. It turned out I had to trek through a swamp, tripping over muddy roots, wade through a rocky beach, and I finally found my class at the end of a long and isolated peninsula. But I was late.
We could have a whole thread just about school stress dreams. :)

Mine have evolved over the years, and thankfully they are less frequent. Nowadays they often involve me being back at grad school, not having gone to any class all semester and midterms or finals coming up, and my having a vague idea that I had already graduated years ago and what the heck was I doing here?

Can't ever raise this topic without posting this:

My most frequent dreams involve food, and somehow not getting to eat it. The most recent one involved me at a pig roast, and after waiting in a very long line, I reached the food and filled up a long brioche bun with pulled pork. But as I walked away someone knocked my plate over and my entire sandwich fell face down into the sand.

Last night I dream that an error was discovered in my undergraduate transcript. In a cascading series of events, my other degrees were nullified as well. So I had to back to school. On the first day as a repeat freshman, I couldn't find my class room. It turned out I had to trek through a swamp, tripping over muddy roots, wade through a rocky beach, and I finally found my class at the end of a long and isolated peninsula. But I was late.
Interesting. I wonder what the Freudian interpretation of this dream would be.

I never remember my dreams, they must be traumatic.

Mine have evolved over the years, and thankfully they are less frequent. Nowadays they often involve me being back at grad school, not having gone to any class all semester and midterms or finals coming up, and my having a vague idea that I had already graduated years ago and what the heck was I doing here?

Oh man, I have variations on that theme ALL the TIME!

Interesting. I wonder what the Freudian interpretation of this dream would be.

No idea, maybe certain routes through school involve some unfortunate PTSD.

Yeah my dad still gets nightmares where he will literally scream in his sleep. Mom said they were almost always about high school even though as far as I know his high school life was fairly uneventful.

My wife tells me about her dreams, and hers usually have some kind of consistent plot that actually moves forward in a semi-orderly way.

I had a day of the cold shoulder because my wife dreamed I was dancing with/kissing another woman.

I didn't really have an explanation that would satisfy her.

I had a day of the cold shoulder because my wife dreamed I was dancing with/kissing another woman.

I didn't really have an explanation that would satisfy her.

You are supposed to get that in your wedding vows, “I promise not to hold you responsible for the things you do in my dreams.”

Write that all down on a notepad, read it again before bed.
Do that for a week, you will likely start to gain more control within the dream.
Lucid dreaming.

Back in school because of some long ago screw-up. Suddenly have to take the final but never went to class. (Or the variant: on stage in a play and never went to rehearsal, studied lines, or even signed up to be in a play.) These seem to be some of the most common dreams people report.

I've learned that there's a difference between weird dreams and dreaming about weird things. Dreaming about weird things is normal, but sometimes I'll have one and think Why did I dream that? Why would anyone dream that? How did I dream that? During the sleep deprivation that comes along with a newborn, one day I dreamed that I was asleep.

I get some vivid nightmares, my wife has to wake me up.

Just last night an overgrown 60lb rabid racoon was falling through the ceiling, electric wires were also sparking!

There are also 2 alien guys that hangout on the front porch and stare at me as I sleep 😴

And of course there are the adventures of my PXR-5 spacecraft voyages, yet the thing has been up on blocks in the yard for years.

Welcome to my world 🌍 😆

Back