About Using Paypal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Dave A

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It is unfair to a business (and against PayPal's policies) to sell to someone who is not a friend but request they send as friend. When I buy products here and elsewhere and they ask to "send as a friend " I add the fee and send as a purchase. Otherwise that great service that is costing you nothing is losing business. Try running a business and not charge a fee.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
If a friend is selling me something, and that friend is not a dealer, I see nothing wrong with using the friends and family option.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Here's the difference. If you send as friends, there is no fee, but, you do lose any form of PayPal insurance on your transaction. On the other hand, if you use "Buying or selling", there IS a fee, but you are covered on paypal transaction insurance. Your choice.

Dave A

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Friends and family is for gifts. Goods and services is a sale regardless of the buyer and seller relationship. If he's really a frind, mail him a check.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
Sorry Dave, I consider you a friend, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

jeff_j_black

Reaction score
The operator of a business should be able to have the discretion and not be penalized. This seems to lean in favor of the customer to order something send as a friend.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
There is a certain degree of character and integrity involved. Are you truest friends and family or just trying to save a few bucks on the transaction. When ask to do it and I donor know the person, it does bother me.

Blackbrant is correct. That is the technical answer.

Dave A

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Dave, I consider you a friend, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you.
That's ok Jim, I consider you a friend but I would automatically send you the extra fee, that's just me. What bothers me is a LOT of folks offer an item and state in public the F & F is the method to send. Probably would just state PM me for details if it means that much to you.
But if too many cheat the system that service may go away. Running a money transfer business is not cheap.
That's just me. I don't copy dvd's, music or software either.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I actually called PayPal some time ago to ask if it is okay to pay for goods or services using the "Friends and Family" option. I received the answer that Blackbrant shared. It is okay to do so, but you lose the buyer protections that PayPal offers.

So, if you regularly do business with someone and trust them, you can choose the option that saves them a little. If you are doing business with someone for the first time, or just prefer to be better protected, use the "Goods and Services" option.

-- Roger

rcktnut

Reaction score
I used the Friends/Family option as requested to pay for some Tomcat canopies (ericclinedinst) here months ago and never received them. I'll never do that again. There is one recourse under this option. You can report the person, and they could lose their option to accept future payments that way, but forget about ever receiving your money back. So from now on unless I'm really paying a family member or friend, I will pay the fee, which is cheaper anyway than my local sales tax here.

Dave A

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I actually called PayPal some time ago to ask if it is okay to pay for goods or services using the "Friends and Family" option. I received the answer that Blackbrant shared. It is okay to do so, but you lose the buyer protections that PayPal offers.

So, if you regularly do business with someone and trust them, you can choose the option that saves them a little. If you are doing business with someone for the first time, or just prefer to be better protected, use the "Goods and Services" option.

-- Roger
That's good to know. I Googled and searched PayPal for a while and found no mention if it was ok.
My apologies to all for assuming it was against policy. I got hosed on $180 once, it was outside of PayPal. I will do F&F if I know you otherwise I will send as Goods & Services.

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few comments here that are not correct...
No need to quote them..

When you buy through PayPal "Goods or Services" the seller pays a fee out of the funds collected and the buyer is protected...

When you "Transfer" funds through PayPal's "Friends and Family" service the sender of the funds pays a fee to PayPal,,
the fee is different because a different service was provided..

There is no buyer protection because there was nothing bought.......

Teddy

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
When you "Transfer" funds through PayPal's "Friends and Family" service the sender of the funds pays a fee to PayPal,,
Only if you use a credit card. There's no fee if you are using funds already in your account or in a linked bank account.

-- Roger

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Are you guy's sure about that,,
I disagree,,
and I'd like to know...
Send me an email at my sales addy and we can easily find the answer..

Teddy

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Are you guy's sure about that,,
I disagree,,
and I'd like to know...
Send me an email at my sales addy and we can easily find the answer..

Teddy
Teddy - I always use my bank to transfer money to friends/family & I've never paid a fee!

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can verfiy that sending $$ from paypal account or linked bank account has no fee on the sending or receiving side using friends and family, only if you use a credit card.

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
OK,,
I give,,
I guess what happened was there wasn't funds available in the persons PayPal account ???
Would that explain why he was charged a fee..

Teddy

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Only if you use a credit card. There's no fee if you are using funds already in your account or in a linked bank account.

-- Roger
Ohhhh,, I see,,
You guy's r saying he had to use credit,,
the funds weren't available in his linked account either...

Teddy

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Teddy, doesn't matter if you have a balance or not as long as your funds come from a bank there is no fee.

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I dun get it...
There is no way all of you guy's r sayin the exact same thing and your all wrong...
I am certain someone once told me they were charged a fee by PayPal for transferring funds to my PayPal account as "Friends or Family"..
I am 100% certain of this...
It wasn't that long ago either...
I just assumed it was a standard process....

Teddy

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I dun get it...
There is no way all of you guy's r sayin the exact same thing and your all wrong...
I am certain someone once told me they were charged a fee by PayPal for transferring funds to my PayPal account as "Friends or Family"..
I am 100% certain of this...
It wasn't that long ago either...
I just assumed it was a standard process....

Teddy
Teddy, the last harness I bought from you was done per your request family & friends, and I paid $00.00 in fees!

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Teddy, the last harness I bought from you was done per your request family & friends, and I paid $00.00 in fees!
That's far and away the most common way it goes...
The guy must have been paying through PayPal without funds in either his PayPal account or linked bank account,,
so it must have been credit...

Teddy

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes...if using a credit card linked to the account...of course they will charge, at least the card fee.

When you have cash in your account there is no fee.

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I wish I could remember who it was,,
It'd be way too easy to ask him, right, lol...

Teddy

alex_car763

Reaction score
When I ordered from you and paid by CC friends and family there was a fee. Cost of not giving pay pal access to my bank account or storing cash on pay pal.

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
When I ordered from you and paid by CC friends and family there was a fee. Cost of not giving pay pal access to my bank account or storing cash on pay pal.
Ahh Haaaa!!!

See,, I knew I wasn't crazy,,, lol...

Hey,, not giving access is a great reason to not keep funds there...

My brother had his identity stolen a few years ago...
I thought he was paranoid before,, lol...
It really isn't a joking matter..
I shred everything that has a sensitive # on it...

Teddy

noffie79

Reaction score
Hey Teddy, did you get the PM I sent yesterday?

Nessalco

Reaction score
From the PayPal User agreement

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

KO

Latest posts