Ablative layer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Stack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good Morning all;

Attached photos are of the 'interstage coupler'/top of the booster on my ASP WAC Corporal / Tiny Tim. The WAC is 18mm, the Tiny Tim Booster 24mm.

IMG_0636.jpgIMG_0638.jpg

This is after two flights, D12-0 - B4-4. Both were flown without the optional removable cardboard sleeve that ASP supplies which fits between the top of the booster and the sustainer MMT, designed to direct the heat plume from the booster to ensure the sustainer lights. I've not used it because I prefer the aesthetics of the open gap between the two.

Soliciting feedback on the best material(s) to use to prevent future damage of this sort...

I intend to form another paper transition/shroud to adhere atop the existing burnt one (which was soaked with CA during the build per the instructions). Should I build more that one of these shrouds, but have the others be a simple 'slip fit' over the top, such that they can be discarded after each flight (a sacrificial layer)? Is there something which I can apply as a surface treatment instead of CA prior to paint which would better resist the sustainer exhaust during that period before separation, and what would that be if so? Should I forego another paper shroud and instead form one from thin aluminum (e.g. soda can), permanently affix that and then prime/paint it?

Thanks in advance

Back