Aauuugh! Non-Rocket Glue thread!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quickie if anyone knows - My son has a clear display case, maybe polystyrene maybe acrylic. For polystyrene, sure a weld-type cement like Testor's. But acrylic? Anybody here ever glue acrylic? Said display case fell victim to our 3 yr. old grandson and the hinge pins at the corners are broken off.

Thanks in advancel; mods please move if inappropriate.

Lucky you, nothing works better for acrylic than cyanoacrylate aka CA aka super glue aka Krazy glue.
If it's clear or transparent*, it's acrylic aka Poly(methyl methacrylate) aka PMMA aka Plexiglas.

Note "acryl" in both acrylic and Poly(methyl methacrylate).
I'm sure it's not a coincidence that they're compatible.

*other transparent plastics exist but not for display cases I think.

Last edited:
There are solvent type cements that work well for acrylic, but probably not Testor's. CA may work well for your repair as it has some gap filing capability. Hinges are difficult to repair, can become permanently fixed, and rarely retain their original strength.

There are solvent type cements that work well for acrylic, but probably not Testor's. CA may work well for your repair as it has some gap filing capability. Hinges are difficult to repair, can become permanently fixed, and rarely retain their original strength.

Yes, as well I know... 5 kids, 6 grandkids, a rocketeer and plastic modeler, I should be PhD-level glue expert by now! I fix things all the time, but wanted to check about the acrylic... or maybe polystyrene... :questions: So what solvent -type would work for acrylic? Who knows, I may just have some!

I'll verify the CA fogging of clear plastic is a real concern. Problem is solved by blowing a fan on it as it dries...

Weld-on #4 is made for acrylic and it is a great solution. The contents are:

Methylene Chloride, Trichlorethlyne, Methyl Methacrylate Monomer

If you have something with similar contents, it might work.

Sandy.

I too was going to suggest methylene chloride. Just hold the piece in place and wick in.

It is also called dichloromethane. Be careful with it and use PPE and in a well-ventilated area.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane
I have been gluing Perspex (aka polymethyl methacrylate, PMMA) with that stuff for over 40 years.

Wikipedia says that methylene chloride and methyl ethyl ketone are used to solvent-bond PMMA, which fits what I recall about PMMA solvents. Both CH2Cl2 and MEK are also used for polystyrene, so if you have either on hand Bob's your uncle. FWIW methylene chloride is often the main component of "plastic model" solvent-binding glues, if you already have some handy there's no need to go out and buy a quart of CH2Cl2.

Best -- Terry

Wikipedia says that methylene chloride and methyl ethyl ketone are used to solvent-bond PMMA, which fits what I recall about PMMA solvents. Both CH2Cl2 and MEK are also used for polystyrene, so if you have either on hand Bob's your uncle. FWIW methylene chloride is often the main component of "plastic model" solvent-binding glues, if you already have some handy there's no need to go out and buy a quart of CH2Cl2.

Best -- Terry
For acrylics, be sure to use the water thin liquid plastic cements, such as Plastruct or Tamiya. Check the SDS to confirm it contains methylene chloride and methyl ethyl ketone, at the very least it needs to contain MEK or it probably won't bite well. The Testors Orange tube gel cement is toluene based, and works fine for soft styrene, but is not reliable for acrylic or ABS.

I think I just need to print this thread off or use lot of copy-pasta! Plenty of good information here, thanks all!
For my repair, the superglue was cured solid somehow, so I used E6000 and it seemed to do quite well.

For acrylics, be sure to use the water thin liquid plastic cements, such as Plastruct or Tamiya. Check the SDS to confirm it contains methylene chloride and methyl ethyl ketone, at the very least it needs to contain MEK or it probably won't bite well. The Testors Orange tube gel cement is toluene based, and works fine for soft styrene, but is not reliable for acrylic or ABS.
Just a note: While I haven't used the full line of plastruct adhesives, their bondene specifically does not work on acrylic, much to my dismay when building space marine jump packs for warhammer.

Back