AAM-N-10 Eagle Program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrier

Reaction score
Anybody out there have any information on the Bendix Eagle program of 1957-1960. I have the info from www.designation-systems.net but it does not give me what I want. I have a scale of 1:5.3 to fit available tube sizes. I have written to Bendix and they said Honeywell was not on that project. I am lost for the info and without it I will have to go for stand-way-off scale. I would like to get alittle closer to scale than with the info I have. The Eagle is the predecessor to the Phoenix and another interest of mine, shipborne anti-aircraft missiles of the cold war.

You might want to try Grumman and Aerojet for info.
Both companies were very generous with data & photos during the late 70's.
Probably not so much nowadays.
Still worth a shot though.

CTimm

Originally posted by Terrier
The Eagle is the predecessor to the Phoenix

I've always thought that slinging a 2-stage missile under a wing was strange engineering. The artists' mis-conception drawing makes the Eagle look like a Soviet Guideline anti-air missile and not really a plane-fired missile.

A more believable predecessor to the Phoenix should be the AIM-47. Especially since it was designed by the same Hughes manufacturer. And its about the same size as the Standard ARM.
Another plane-launched missile.

For a really short history and some tiny jpegs, try this link...

www.vincenthobbies.com

Blatantly plugging where no man has plugged before,

Chris Timm

Bendix Eagle program of 1957-1960. I am lost for the info and without it I will have to go for stand-way-off scale.

I'm drawn to the same type of early & rare missiles as well.
The EAGLE is difficult to research due to being designed but not built.

Topping my list are the Army's Nike-Zeus A, the Navy's Typhon, and the Air Force's AIM-47.

Luckily, pretty good sport-scale models can be made from accumulated data and photos of the Nike-Zeus A and Typhon.

Excellant scale models can be built of the AIM-47 by assembling the commercially available kit mentioned in the previous posted link. Theres even scale data and photos included in case you want to upscale, downscale or fit to whatever tubes you have on hand.

Chris Timm

CTimm
I looked at the link and this was a missile that the Air Force wanted for the YF-12A. I am always looking for plans or drawings of the Cold War missiles, and this and the Typhon are the two that I want to do. I have on the drawing board is the RIM-2 Terrier missile. Thanks to our very own Sandman, I have the booster complete minus paint. Sandman built the stage coupler to scale for me. The booster is for a 29mm and I plan to fly it with an G, and to get it to the 1500 to 2000' range that the sustainer's E will do.
I will also be drawing up the Typhon after I get the Eagle done. The Eagle was to be mounted without the booster to the A6D Missileer that was never built. Very large missile to be slung under a wing of an airplane.

Now that's one big missile! I have heard of it during my research for possible projects. Not really in the scope of what I want, but very well worth that effort when I run out of things to do, and fairly simple. Would be a great mid-power project, around, say, one quarter scale? Good idea!

this and the Typhon are the two that I want to do.

The Typhon is a wild looking beast.

Which mod of the RIM-2 are you doing?

CTimm

Originally posted by CTimm

A pnc from the Estes Sentinel kit works fine for this model in a BT-60/BT-55 size model.

CTimm

That's what I used for some of my Terriers, however it's BT-60, not 55 and it is a close match. I have also turned a cone for one version that used 1.9" tubing for the missile. BTW - 2" tubing for the booster is more accurate if you're using the BT-60/Sentinel cone for the missile.

Here's a photo of the 2.6" to 1.9" Terrier I flew at MAR many years ago. This is modeled after one of the validation test rounds flown in May of 1957. For competition I always used a F-50 to C6-7 to keep it under 1,000' and easier to recover.

CTimm, I'm doing the RIM-2A or RIM-2 BW as it's actually called. I have the booster done in Aerotech's 2.6 tube with a 29mm mmt and ejection baffle with a 18" nylon chute. The sustainer will be a BT-60 with a computer for airstarting the Estes 'E'. Hope this thing works or I just spent 6 months building a very good lawn dart!

CTimm, I'm doing the RIM-2A or RIM-2 BW as it's actually called. I have the booster done in Aerotech's 2.6 tube with a 29mm mmt and ejection baffle with a 18" nylon chute. The sustainer will be a BT-60 with a computer for airstarting the Estes 'E'. Hope this thing works or I just spent 6 months building a very good lawn dart!

Back