A Voice for Your Eggtimer GPS and Telemetry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or perhaps many different voices that become selectable like Siri on iPhone? I'd like to hear HAL while I'm attempting to arm the electronics..."Sorry, I cannot let you do that." o_O

If you're using the TRS tracker, and an LCD without the GPS module, what information does the voice give during flight?

If you're using the TRS tracker, and an LCD without the GPS module, what information does the voice give during flight?
The TRS real-time data is altitude, deployment events, ready for launch/launched, and apogee. It's similar to what you would get with a Quantum. You'll need to update your TRS's firmware to get the apogee call-out... all of the relevant firmware will be released when the EVM board becomes available to ship.

Can the module be fed other strings of text, such as from other company’s devices?
It COULD be done, but I don't expect it to be a thing. Other altimeter vendors would have to modify their firmware to send out the right telemetry codes, and I don't see that happening. I suppose you could also make some sort of interface that would do it... if they already send out real-time altitude data (like PerfectFlite does, for example).

The EVM understands a subset of the telemetry strings that are in the Eggtimer Telemetry Module docs, plus a few more (tell it to use Feet/Meters, the Compass/bearing stuff for GPS trackikng, etc.). It can be tested using the ubiquitous Eggtimer USB-Serial cable... in fact, we have you do that after you're done assembling it to make sure that it works.

Looking forward to this! So I've got a box with 2 LCDs mounted in it. One for the Quantum Telemetry and one for GPS. Is it power/ground/data? Wondering if I could just use one for both with a switch for the data. Use the voice on telemetry during flight and the voice on GPS during recovery. Would that work or should I just buy two of these?

Looking forward to this! So I've got a box with 2 LCDs mounted in it. One for the Quantum Telemetry and one for GPS. Is it power/ground/data? Wondering if I could just use one for both with a switch for the data. Use the voice on telemetry during flight and the voice on GPS during recovery. Would that work or should I just buy two of these?
Well, you KNOW what I would tell you... however, you can use just one, and put a SPDT switch between the AUX inputs and the input of the Voice Module to select which one it's listening from.

Well, you KNOW what I would tell you... however, you can use just one, and put a SPDT switch between the AUX inputs and the input of the Voice Module to select which one it's listening from.
Oh, I'm sure I'll buy two and use one as a backup ;-)

Really, really neat. At our last launch, I tested my Quantum with the Telemetry module and worked great. I let a new guy call out the altitudes. Hooked him....he then asked me lots and lots of questions about HP rocketry and electronics. Several years ago, one of our club members had his telemetry module sound out altitudes over the club's PA with Stephen Hawking's voice. I, too, will get in line to pick up some of these.

(unpopular opinion)

Kate is completely awful and significantly detracts from every single launch I have ever had to listen to "her" at. When I drive for hours and show up with my own projects I dont want to stop rest of the show or be distracted in this manner. I mean, it is neat tech and fine if it is what you want, but I do not, and I dont want it forced on everyone.

(end rant)

You don't HAVE to use it... it's an option, and you can use earbuds to keep it private if you don't want everybody to hear your real-time call-outs. At most of the HPR launches that I've been to, they wait until the rocket is down or nearly down before they launch the next one, so I don't know if having a "public" telemetry call-out would slow down the launches or not. It's really useful with the LCD-GPS option on the LCD receiver when you're going out to retrieve your rocket, especially for long recoveries. It's nice to have a navigator telling you which way to go and to be able to concentrate on your driving, especially in rough desert terrain.

Unpopular opinion, indeed. I love watching and getting details of every launch at an event. Very excited for this product.

Totally fair.

I am usually mentoring students or finishing some avbay modification, and we literally always run out of time :( would probably feel different if launches were more frequent, closer, etc

I love this , now is there a way that a speaker can be mounted to the receiver case?

Back