A V-2 Kit for E & F Engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Estes one is built stock for a 24mm motor.
(But I've only used mine with an adapter and 18mm motors so far.)

Estes' is 22.4" tall, and LOC's is 34" tall, which isn't really huge. And just to make sure, LOC's own site says:

"This boat tail kit comes standard with a 38mm motor mount but flies great on F50 and G motors using an optional MMA-2 adapter."

That adapter is only $5.25: https://locprecision.com/product/motor-mount-adapter/

Just want to make sure we have all the info here.

I fly my wildman V2 (2.6") on F motors. E is probably not enough to lift it.

How about the Spacemonkey Models V2/A4 kit and the Apogee flight conversion?
Good point. This is probably the largest kit you can currently get that really has good scale outline and detail, if that's important to you.

Nola thanks for trying to help. It's easy to find just click on the product page. Here's a direct link: https://sngaero.wordpress.com/products/ scroll way down. The kit is detailed cast resin parts for the nose cone and boat tail. Balsa fins plug into the slots in the boat tail. Easy build. Very scale. Very high flyer on a C6 and some have put D's in them. Very straight flyer too. I just flew mine a few weeks ago and it was perfect. I'm planning a larger one for myself down the road here for G motors.
frontpage-2-1 (1).jpg
Here's the old art work from years back. Still available today.

Nola thanks for trying to help. It's easy to find just click on the product page. Here's a direct link: https://sngaero.wordpress.com/products/ scroll way down. The kit is detailed cast resin parts for the nose cone and boat tail. Balsa fins plug into the slots in the boat tail. Easy build. Very scale. Very high flyer on a C6 and some have put D's in them. Very straight flyer too. I just flew mine a few weeks ago and it was perfect. I'm planning a larger one for myself down the road here for G motors.
View attachment 458386
Here's the old art work from years back. Still available today.
No problem! Have you flown you large X-15 yet? I have your smaller X-15 kit, still unbuilt.

For the OP there is also the Estes V2 Maxi-Brute. Have to pay Ebay prices as it is OOP.
Yes, I highly recommend it. BT-101, almost 4". With a LIGHTWEIGHT blow-molded nose, and reasonably light tailcone. That Maxi-Brute kit was a bit underpowered on a D12, is PERFECT for E and F (and even G) [power flying. Do note it needs some noseweight to be as stable with a big motor as it is on a D12.

The 4" V-2's by others are way heavier. so they go lower for a v=given motor, or cost far more to fly on a bigger motor, for a similar altitude.

Note that V-2 "Maxi-Brute" kit from the mid 1970's would bring a way higher price on eBay than the re-issued kit of the 1990's. The reissue goes for $80-100 or so on eBay, last I saw. Just pretend it's being sold by some other company as a "lightweight 4" V-2" for $80- $100 or so and get it on ebay. Anything else of that size sucks in comparison (due to the weight).

Thank you! It was a thrill and a lot of hard worked paid off. Next up level 2. I got this 4 inch Big Daddy. All glass for 54 mm motors. Duel recovery, yada, yada. It's the new money pit project and my first all glass rocket. It still has that V-2 nose cone. IMG-9715copy.jpg

Thank you! It was a thrill and a lot of hard worked paid off. Next up level 2. I got this 4 inch Big Daddy. All glass for 54 mm motors. Duel recovery, yada, yada. It's the new money pit project and my first all glass rocket. It still has that V-2 nose cone. View attachment 459494

Is that a custom kit?

Yes, I highly recommend it. BT-101, almost 4". With a LIGHTWEIGHT blow-molded nose, and reasonably light tailcone. That Maxi-Brute kit was a bit underpowered on a D12, is PERFECT for E and F (and even G) [power flying. Do note it needs some noseweight to be as stable with a big motor as it is on a D12.

The 4" V-2's by others are way heavier. so they go lower for a v=given motor, or cost far more to fly on a bigger motor, for a similar altitude.

Note that V-2 "Maxi-Brute" kit from the mid 1970's would bring a way higher price on eBay than the re-issued kit of the 1990's. The reissue goes for $80-100 or so on eBay, last I saw. Just pretend it's being sold by some other company as a "lightweight 4" V-2" for $80- $100 or so and get it on ebay. Anything else of that size sucks in comparison (due to the weight).
I’m partial to the Maxi-Brute because it was my first ‘big’ rocket. I had the 70’s version in the older box, though I’m guessing there is little difference in the actual model. Its first and only flight failed spectacularly. I have a couple of the reissue kits, so will probably try a couple different paint patterns.

Back