A Trip to HobbyTown

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Today after work, I decided to make a side trip to Plaistow to visit Hobbytown USA. I wanted a motor for my Astrobee D, and I wanted to buy a easy to build rocket kit for Yulya (which will be one of the many things I will send her in my next package). I also built the Micro Classics Alien Explorer and Andromeda I won during the last descon, so I wanted to buy some wire for the launch rod.

When I arived there, I was disapointed to find that they ran out of G motors. So I settled for a F40. Then I moved on to the Fliskits. I picked up Triskelion (they had two, I concidered buying one for my self, but decided to wait on that). Then I proceeded to look at the wire for the launch rod.

As the owner of the shop and I went through the selection of wire, a older gentleman came up to me, pointed to the kit on the counter, and asked me "What do you think about those kits?" I asked him if he meant Fliskits or rocket kits in general. He meant in general. We chat. I found out that his grandkids were coming up this weekend to visit, and he wanted to find something to do with them.

Perfect :D

I told him about the CMASS launch we have on Saturday. He says he'll be there. I suggested to him an Estes Alpha starter set, and a Fliskits Triskelion. He asked about the blast off flight pack, and I told him about Micheals and their 40% off coupons in the Sunday paper. Save him a lot of money ;).

This hobbytown now keeps their Estes motors behind the counter. I noticed last time that they had some motors discounted because someone swiped motors out of the packaging. So when I noticed the motors behind the counted, I said "To many got stolen." :mad: They said enough did to move them.

Anyway, It was a great visit. Looks like a grandfather found what he was looking for, and I walked out of the store with some wire, a F40, a Fliskit, and a pack of C11-5's and E9-4's.

nice....they usually have an abundance of G reloads. never any SU though. only SU's that i've found there are the E30's and the F20's. i also saw that the estes motors were behind the counter, that was definately strange. thats cool that we have some more people coming out to the launch. the numbers seem to be getting lower with each passing launch toward the end of the season.

Wow, you are lucky. Our Hobbytown only carries up to an E9.:(

doug, if i get him to special order, do they impose a hazmat? i assume they dont, because they get the motors all the time, and if they had to pay hazmat, they'd never make money.

They order motors all the time, and they do pay hazmat... because their required sources require them to use them... The problem is their suppliers can not get their hands on motors fast enough, and Hobbytown is not allowed to order from someone else... The consumer pays the hazmat by paying thier higher costs...

Doug,

Thank you for the up-sell :) YOu will have to make a point of introducing him and I at Saturday's launch :)

jim

Our Hobbytown keeps them locked in a glass case in the section with all the rockets. It gets to be a pain when they ask you "which ones" and you tell then "G-64's", because they give you this look like "what the heck??"

I've found HobbyTowns to be very hit-or-miss. There's one in Duluth, GA, that does not carry any AeroTech products, but then, the one in Forsyth County, GA, has AeroTech motors only. Then, the one in Kennesaw, located in an old strip mall movie theater, had mid and high power kits when I last visited [in fall 2001].

Check local listings.

Doug I was in ther last weekend and bought one of the 2motor packs of E's and I thought (aftter I left) that the motors behind the counter was tough to buy from as I could'nt see the selection and left without the C-11s that I wanted to buy. as far as security of the motors it is probably a good thing.
I was disapionted that they did not have the kit I was looking for (Phroed X150) but I did buy a Tumbleweed instead.
I wonder of the elderly gent was the same one I talked to in there before?:D

If you ever go into a hobby shop that carries our kits but doesn't have the kit you want, be sure to mention it to the manager. This is what will drive their next order.

Originally posted by jflis
If you ever go into a hobby shop that carries our kits but doesn't have the kit you want, be sure to mention it to the manager. This is what will drive their next order.

Any luck getting into shops in the opposite end of the country? Normally this time of the year I would be heading west, but there is no COMDEX this year so I get to enjoy the soggy month of November at home.

Bill

Time permitting, we are going to begin a fairly agressive campaign to hit a number of shops around the country. For the most part, the shops we have found *us*... :)

I have to put together a package (something nicer than I currently have) as an introduction to our company and product then Kathy will begin hammering the phones...

not only did you leave the Hobby Town with your kit and motors you also walked out with all of our gratitude . good job.

Back