A totally transparent rocket...

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by snrkl, Jun 12, 2017.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Sep 15, 2018 #31

Rockyt

Rockyt

Rockyt

actually, it doesn't. 'The whole nine yards' is a reference to when a kilt was made from 9 yards of fabric. You new it was the real deal,and/or top of the line because not everyone could afford 9 yards of fabric.

as far as clear tubing, you can search for payload tubing' and get something cealr. The centering rings could be an issue though, as would a sturdy parachute....but it can be done.

edited to add:
    Or we could a be wrong-
    https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/books/the-whole-nine-yards-seeking-a-phrases-origin.html

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  2. Sep 15, 2018 #32

Rainmaker

Rainmaker

Rainmaker

No it's related to pouring concrete. A concrete truck holds 9 yards of concrete when full, but you don't always order a full truck. So when you want a full truck, you say give me the whole 9 yards. Can we come up with more alternatives?

3. Sep 15, 2018 #33

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

4. Sep 15, 2018 #34

Andrew_ASC

Andrew_ASC

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st

Will they stop arguing about the nine yards phrase and just build the rocket?

5. Sep 15, 2018 #35

terryg

terryg

terryg

6. Sep 15, 2018 #36

jqavins

jqavins

jqavins

A True Homebert

No, they probably won't. ;) Stop arguing, that is. Build the rocket I don't know.

7. Sep 19, 2018 #37

Rockyt

Rockyt

Rockyt

Hey, I wasn't arguing, just giving alternatives...

and I intend to build a rocket using clear tubing, as well....Y Would I waNt to do somethinG like that....I have reasons ;)

neil_w likes this.
  8. Sep 19, 2018 #38

snrkl

snrkl

snrkl

Me either! I mean... arguing? On a forum on the Internet? Who would do that?!

9. Sep 20, 2018 #39

snrkl

snrkl

snrkl

I just got the YWING hidden message.. that would be pretty cool.. Using clear tubing for the back of the engine pods?
    Y-Wing_Bomber.png

10. Sep 20, 2018 #40

Rockyt

Rockyt

Rockyt

On the nose. :)

thinking the 'cobra' sci-fi nosecone, bertha/baby bertha engine pod nose cones, clear body tubing for length and the 'support struts' will be extended to become wings...
    considered letting those engine pods be open for 'cylinder fins' but I just have to be true to the original design. Planning on 1 single engine design off the main fuselage, but haven't worked out the math yet.

I don't want the thing to be a 'headsup' flyer each launch, so I'm taking a bit slow. Will be Very cool if it flies, but I'm not good enough at openrocket to 3d it, and I'm too cheap to buy 'rocsim'

11. Sep 20, 2018 #41

jqavins

jqavins

jqavins

A True Homebert

The pods spread laterally along with their supports will give you pitch stability, but what will you do for yaw? (The vehicle as depicted could use differential thrust.)

12. Sep 21, 2018 #42

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

If you did in fact leave those side pieces largely open with those piegrid fins aft; with the motor in the midsection I'd wager your CG will be pulled rather forward and your CP extremely aft. I believe you'll be very overstable in one dimension and a bit overstable in the other.

13. Sep 21, 2018 #43

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

Ah, yes. The original stealth jet. Decades ahead of its' time. But I always wondered how a small group of Amazonian women isolated on a small island could produce a jet plane. As far as the all clear rocket, the hardest part would be the clear motor and clear propellant.;)

14. Sep 21, 2018 #44

Kelly

Kelly

Kelly

Jimmy Yawn actually developed a clear motor:
    http://jamesyawn.net/clearpvc/index.html
    I think that would be an awesome addition to a clear rocket, especially for a night flight. Clear propellant is possible, but would be much more difficult.

15. Sep 21, 2018 #45

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

This is a 40mm ball, so it is a little loose -- but a 42 mm ping pong ball will just fit a BT60 tube (the diameter of ping pong balls varies a lot, so different balls out of a box marked "42 mm" might slip into the tube snugly or it might not make it as far as the equator of the ball)

20180920_084048.png
    The plane (Wonder Dome) is actually the corpse of an artificially intelligent and telepathic shape-shifting crystal entity constructed by a subterranean race living under antarctica... unless it was a biological construct grown in the image of Steve Trevor's fighter jet in the labs of Themyscira ... unless it was built by Diana herself from parts in her mother's aeronautics workshop...

16. Sep 21, 2018 #46

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

Impressive! Both the original and revised histories. A pleasure to meet a true DC fan-atic. (Or is it otaku?)

17. Oct 6, 2018 #47

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

Necroing this thread: I was browsing Apogee's website last night and saw the Vapor, a midpower version of the Estes Phantom, that came out a couple of months or so ago. Difference is, you can actually fly this one, although they don't recommend it (read description). They even list recommended motors and apogees:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocke...t-Kits/Vapor?zenid=g656oqi54vljs6oa0p2d08b0d5

To make it even more transparent, you can trace the wood fins onto lexan or clear acrylic and cut them out. And replace the white plastic nose cone with something like this:

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/2-6-ogive-nose-cone-clear-cti-nc26-c/

BMS sells 34 in. BT-80 couplers that can be cut to size and used as a liner for flight.
    For assembly white glue is recommended for display, but epoxy would be necessary for flight.

Centuri's answer to the Estes Astron Phantom was the Visible Astro. As far as I can tell it only appeared for a year, then faded into memory:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen44.html
    Maybe Diana needs an invisible rocket to replace the obsolete invisible plane?

18. Oct 6, 2018 #48

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

I forgot the Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths story, where Wonder Woman appropriated the Invisible Jet from Owl Man (the Earth-2 sort-of-Batman) as spoils-of-war (it got stuck in stealth mode when struck by lightning summoned by Captain Super, Captain Super Jr., and Uncle Super immediately after Wonder Woman stole it)

I bought a fistful of these

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ack-Showcase-Jewelry/2349212_32708272188.html

clearcones.png
    with a view towards using them as covers on the "flare" housings on a scale-model of the Smithsonian A&S Museum specimen WAC Corporal.

flarehousing.png
    They just slip inside BT50. Cut perpendicular to the long axis, they'd make decent conical nosecones for BT20 or ST7 tube.

19. Oct 6, 2018 #49

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

All kinds of possibilities there. Maybe a BT-20 sized Acme Spitfire? No need to cut the cone, just glue in a BT-20 coupler for the shoulder. More durable than a paper nose cone.